FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mai Kai 50th Anniv. - a look back in pictures!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Mai Kai 50th Anniv. - a look back in pictures!
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 1:06 pm   Permalink

Today's photo is one of my favs as this gal is a REDHEAD and she's sporting some serious eyeliner. Another one of the lovely Molokai girls in an all so wonderful pose.

Enjoy..

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 1:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-06 06:39, tiki_kiliki wrote:
There were additions in the mid 60's to include the Molokai. The major expansion actually came about in 1971 and both Bob and Jack worked on that project.

I've been told that Molokai opened in 1970, so perhaps it was actually part of this 1971 expansion.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 2:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2006-12-06 13:06, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Today's photo is one of my favs as this gal is a REDHEAD and she's sporting some serious eyeliner. Another one of the lovely Molokai girls in an all so wonderful pose.

*DAMN*!
She makes MY eyeliner look like child's play!!

FAB-ulous post, TK! Enjoying it daily

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 3:46 pm   Permalink

The Molokai was most definitely added in the 1960's - and early at that. As you'll see in this pic from a Fort Lauderdale paper (unknown) and even the previous ads that I've posted - the graphics usually date the period. This is also one of my favs - look at the no doubt Shaheen on the Ethel Merman wannabe - also the first woman in the Molokai - and honoring her with a lei is Kay Picot, the wife of then manager Leonce Picot, which dates the photograph to the early 60's just before Kern Mattei, Sr. took his place. (photo from the Licudine scrapbook)

Look at the waist on Kay! And I am so proud that I have that same dress - purchased at a flea market on my visit to San Francisco in 2004.

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-12-06 15:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-12-07 05:07 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kohalacharms
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-12-06 8:41 pm   Permalink

[img]http://tikiroom.com/img/1631x45779a3d.jpg[/img]
1958 Mai Kai Serving Staff

[ This Message was edited by: kohalacharms 2013-03-24 07:33 ]

View Profile of kohalacharms Send a personal message to kohalacharms      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 8:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the additional photo - fantastic!! I'll try to post a different variation of that tomorrow. Great to see you posting Frank!!

The Hukilau

PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 9:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:
...and she's sporting some serious eyeliner.

Eyeliner? I don't see any...oh...I guess there is some there. Somehow I wasn't looking in that direction.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 06:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-06 12:58, tiki_kiliki wrote:
When I toured the Mai Kai warehouse back in October they literally had over 100 drawings and sets of plans from the very beginning to the addition of Bora Bora, renovations after the surfboard bar was dismantled - everything.

Now that is something I would love to see!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 08:47 am   Permalink

I absolutely fell in love with the Mai Kai at Hukilau and this thread just moves me to tears.

It's like finding your favorite far-away aunt's love letters. Usually it's after that aunt has passed, but this one still living. I need to make plans to fly out and visit with her in person...

Thank you so much, Tiki_Kiliki!!

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 10:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-07 06:40, GatorRob wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-12-06 12:58, tiki_kiliki wrote:
When I toured the Mai Kai warehouse back in October they literally had over 100 drawings and sets of plans from the very beginning to the addition of Bora Bora, renovations after the surfboard bar was dismantled - everything.

Now that is something I would love to see!

I agree! Conceptual work and architectural drawings can be really fascinating and they are exceptionally rare to find. Would love to see them.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 10:30 am   Permalink

Haole'akamai - my pleasure. The first time I saw the albums I was in Dave Levy's office (which is Bob Thornton's old office so being in there already moves me) and I began crying. It was so overwhelming. It was the same feeling that I had my first visit to the Mai Kai.

I honestly want you to see EVERYTHING!! I'm working on another exhibit for next year. There's still so much that should be shown.

Here's today's photo (from the Licudine scans). I love the questions so keep them coming.

This pic is of the very first Mai Kai sign. This picture takes my breath away as it's truly from the beginning - you can see the 3 fern Tiki Gods below and one in the distance. You can even make out the small road to the left which is US1. Isn't it nice not to see that horribly ugly City Furniture building in the background. It sits alone. You can also see the original screened in roof line and make out how small the first structure really was!

Enjoy...

The Hukilau

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 3:00 pm   Permalink

The original A-frame roof was screened? I always thought it was glass.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
waitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-12-07 5:14 pm   Permalink

Now, if only WAITIKI we're to get to play. Do you think anyone would like to see us posing in the calendar?

View Profile of waitiki Send a personal message to waitiki  Email waitiki Goto the website of waitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 10:01 pm   Permalink

I have not felt like this in a while, but this thread really makes me want to have a time machine to travel back to the early days of this wonderful Polynesia Americana...but then, that's what the Mai Kai is, in a way, a time machine...

Hanford, how long until TC gets its Time Travel feature that allows you to actually VISIT the places?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation