FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mai Kai 50th Anniv. - a look back in pictures!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Mai Kai 50th Anniv. - a look back in pictures!
kohalacharms
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-12-07 10:19 pm   Permalink

[img]http://tikiroom.com/img/1631x457903cb.jpg[/img]
Mai Kai Serving Staff - Date Unknown

[ This Message was edited by: kohalacharms 2013-03-24 07:34 ]

View Profile of kohalacharms Send a personal message to kohalacharms      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-08 11:04 am   Permalink

Frank, can you post a blow up of the shirts from this one, it looks real sharp in focus. I can't make out what's on them, they look great! Looks like the Cook Islands Tiki, and the Mai Kai logo...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-08 12:22 pm   Permalink

Sven,

There are so many shirt designs with beachcomber lamps printed on them (B. Marsland has one of those) as well as the cannibal tikis and Mai Kai logo. The beachcomber lamp shirt were sold in blue and green.

Here's a few blown up pics of what I have here at work:

Here's a super close up:

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-08 1:34 pm   Permalink

Aaaah...so it IS the same print than on the photos on page 148 of the BOT. Not the Cook Islands god but the "Tahitian Cannibal Carvings"...these guys are a pet research subject of mine.

WHY did they become the logo Tikis of the Mai Kai? Because the Thornton brothers were inspired to go and open their own Polynesian Paradise through their favourite hangout in their home town of Chicago: Don The Beachcomber's, in Chicago in the 1940s.

And it was Don Beach who first introduced these three Tikis into Polynesian Pop (BOT p.69 and 72/73). They were his personal Pet Tikis, he even took them to Waikiki with him. You can see them in the back bar in Hollywood on page 72. I was lucky to find a set at the PCC fleamarket years ago, you can see them on my mantlepiece in the Kon-Id mug thread in Marketplace.

After Don and the Mai Kai, Stephen Crane used them for The Luau, and later his Kon Tikis. Of course, the design these were based on was not Tahitian, but Marquesan.

I want to see the beachcomber lamp shirt print real bad, too, please!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-09 2:32 pm   Permalink

Here's todays photo everyone. From the Mai Kai archives. This gal is amazing!!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-09 5:35 pm   Permalink

This thread is simply AMAZING!!!!!!!

Thanks for the history lesson Tiki Kiliki and Bigbro.

I want a time machine too! Not like the one in Napolean Dynamite though

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 4:43 pm   Permalink

It's been two days without a new picture. I'm stttarting to gget the jjjitters.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 5:25 pm   Permalink

Sorry - I went to Orlando this weekend and had to prepare today for something pretty important.

Here's the latest..no doubt either a private party or exclusive function with all the boys in suits. I think one of them is in love.............

The Hukilau

PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 6:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I think one of them is in love.............

Looks to me like at least 3 of them are in love!

Thanks for the fix. I was going through withdrawals.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-12 9:08 pm   Permalink

Aloha - it's late but it's here. I've been so busy with the holidays lately that I've been posting these later than normal. Sorry about that guys but expect better timing in the coming days.

This one is a table of flight attendants. One of my favorite shots. I believe one of the gals is wearing a Malia dress and the other a Shaheen.

Enjoy..

The Hukilau

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 1:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2006-12-11 17:25, tiki_kiliki wrote:

Here's the latest..no doubt either a private party or exclusive function with all the boys in suits. I think one of them is in love.............

Is it just me, or does the guy giving the snarky look on the right look JUST like a young version of the Narrator ("ASS-HOLE!") from Rocky Horror Picture Show?

Admitting that she saw Rocky Horror Picture Show more times than she will actually admit,
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 1:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-13 13:05, Formikahini wrote:

Is it just me, or does the guy giving the snarky look on the right look JUST like a young version of the Narrator ("ASS-HOLE!") from Rocky Horror Picture Show?

This guy has a neck, so I'm not so sure!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 1:16 pm   Permalink

I bet those guys in their suits all thought that they could go home with the serving staff, The gals ofcourse. That pic looks just like a shot before a kiss. See how both of them are leaning in.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 2:03 pm   Permalink

Oh yeah, they're drinking Derby Daquiris so these suits are probably from Gulfstream.

The Hukilau

PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 2:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:
That pic looks just like a shot before a kiss. See how both of them are leaning in.

Not only that, but I got a feeling from the look on the face of the waitress...that I know where the dude in the white blazer's hand just might be.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation