[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New tiki , about 6 hours into it
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
New tiki , about 6 hours into it
mike-stobbe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 1:49 pm   Permalink

So here's my first one from Buzzy's pile of palm trunks , besides the wee little Moai I did for my friend Mikey . I feel like Iv'e learned a lot on the few I've done recently after the Oki Oki , and this one's going to be nice , I can feel it ! ! !

I've been finding lots of good ways to use my #5 gouge . . . it is rapidly becoming my favorite chisle .
I'm going to leave the hair-do and I think this one will be a full length jobbie , all the way to the ground .

[ This Message was edited by: mike-stobbe 2006-12-01 13:53 ]

View Profile of mike-stobbe Send a personal message to mike-stobbe  Goto the website of mike-stobbe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 2:08 pm   Permalink

Very crisp, I'm a big fan of leaving natural surfaces too. What is the chisel you're talking about...can you post a pic of it?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 2:11 pm   Permalink

Very nice! Keep going. Keep posting.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike-stobbe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 2:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks , I will . . . heres what it looks like , it's a shallow sweep #5 gouge . Stubai tools from the fancy land of Austria !

View Profile of mike-stobbe Send a personal message to mike-stobbe  Goto the website of mike-stobbe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 2:27 pm   Permalink

AH--a topic CLOSE to my heart...I have a LOT of opportunities to 'leave the hair on' as it were..how does that effect the FINISHING/STAINING though...doesn't that stuff just ROT off eventually? or do you do something special to it to keep it there? I have a BUNCH of logs I could leave' hair' on if it would stay and not effect the way it lasts--cuz I'll tell you WHAT getting the hair OFF ain't a lot of FUN--a good couple HOURS cuz the logs I have are UNSTRIPPED..would like to hear input cuz if there are some ways to incorporate it I WILL

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 3:05 pm   Permalink

It's looking good, Mike! Can't wait to get mine going. Keep us posted as you go.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 3:10 pm   Permalink

Wow Mike, it's looking really good. Very clean lines. How's the moisture on that guy? Pretty wet still or not too bad?

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 5:01 pm   Permalink

Mike-S, Excelent start on that tiki, he is gonna be really nice!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 5:06 pm   Permalink

Nice, clean chisel work as well..

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Reid-O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-12-01 5:15 pm   Permalink

Looks awesome! I'm so envious of you guys carving up the palms! I've been carving tikis for a few years now and still have yet to get my hands(chisels)on some palm. Here in Vancouver it's all cedar, redwood ect. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

View Profile of Reid-O Send a personal message to Reid-O  Goto the website of Reid-O     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 5:35 pm   Permalink

Real nice work Mike...another fine carver joins the ranks! Also like the lil' chopper in the
background.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 01:43 am   Permalink

I love this tiki style.
Indeed, I think that natural is the best.

Ben

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 07:31 am   Permalink

Very nice Mike! I will enjoy watching where you go from here. Thanks for posting.

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 09:32 am   Permalink

Hey that is a great start!! I am really liking your bike in the backround!!! Is that an old Triumph or Harley??

[ This Message was edited by: The Sperm Whale 2006-12-02 09:35 ]

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike-stobbe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 09:33 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the kind words , It starts getting more fun when you start to think you know what you're doing !
I'll try and take progress pictures as it comes along . . . I find myself sitting , staring blankly at trees and palms in my neighborhood , wondering about what kind of carving I could do to it . . . !

Also Congatiki , just so you know , the bike is a '56 panhead with shovel heads and a 93" stroker kit . It's a pretty fun little ride . . . like a Scwhinn Stingray with a rocket motor attatched to it . good times .

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation