FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Queen K Update Sept. 10th page 16 new bone &pig mug
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Queen K Update Sept. 10th page 16 new bone &pig mug
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 9:23 pm   Permalink

updated page 16

[ This Message was edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-09-10 11:18 ]

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 11:37 pm   Permalink

Amy: Good job on those. I like the middle one. Nice detail. Congrats on taking on the challenge of carving rock early on. These are great for rocks you just scavenged. Cannot wait until you get better rocks to wok with.
Have you thought about what kind of cord you are going to put on them. Now you'll have to take up another craft.
Good luck, and keep on posting in your new, Home Sweet Home(or Home sweet Thread)
Buzzy

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 01:35 am   Permalink

These are looking really good for your first efforts Amy, now you just need to slow your speed down and work the same grooves a bit more to clean up your detail and get rid of some of the tool marks. Keep a bit of water flowing, just enough to make a slurry and cool the diamonds. My rule of thumb with stone carving is 10-20% of the time to remove 80-90% of what isn't a tiki, and 80-90% of the time to get rid of that last 10%-20%.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 01:36 am   Permalink

Real good & cool job.
I like very much the third.
Waiting for new pix.

Ben

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 12:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-02 01:35, Paipo wrote:
These are looking really good for your first efforts Amy, now you just need to slow your speed down and work the same grooves a bit more to clean up your detail and get rid of some of the tool marks. Keep a bit of water flowing, just enough to make a slurry and cool the diamonds. My rule of thumb with stone carving is 10-20% of the time to remove 80-90% of what isn't a tiki, and 80-90% of the time to get rid of that last 10%-20%.

Thanks paipo, I will try that. I was using a little less water on the second one and it is much smoother and finshed looking. I will do what you said above. I had to stop as I needed to get a mask, I was inhaling all that dust and it got bad. I must have missed the part where you, Tama and Ben said "use a mask"

The third one, was just started. I am still looking for my "style" Thanks again for all the help.

Amy

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 12:55 pm   Permalink

Well done Amy! Nice to have another stoner in our midst.

Judging by the first three originals, Im sure you have a definate syle of your own just waiting to be explored. It always takes a bit of time to find your way, but creativity doesnt seem to be a stumbling block.
Mistakes/'learning experiences' are waiting to teach you what you dont want to repeat (give those ones back to the Gods), and successes will lead to repeats of good things. Good things will stick; practice makes perfect (or so I am told). You are on your way...

A couple of 'Rule #1's'...

-Wear a dust mask!!
-Get your light right (if you cant see, you cant carve)
-When designing, keep your tools in mind (but at the same time, dont let yourself be limited by them). At first it is common to visualise particular forms & have no idea of how you are going to create them. I believe this is a good way to start! Over time you will begin to 'know' your burrs & will instinctively reach for the 'right' ones...

-----

Ill be back; just had a truck turn up with a load of firewood. Better go and help unload...

Good luck QueenK - the 1st woman of stone!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 2:06 pm   Permalink

Neat stuff, Amy.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 7:36 pm   Permalink

Amy Rocks!

or...

is it...

Amy's Rock!

What ever it is...Rock on!

Maybe it's karma.

Rock!!!

Amy's Rocks Rock!

p.s. Keep on Rockin!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 9:13 pm   Permalink

Damn, Amy !!!!!! Super nice work. I like the 3rd one the best.

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-04 12:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-02 21:13, saxotica wrote:
Damn, Amy !!!!!! Super nice work. I like the 3rd one the best.

Thank you, thank means alot!

Thank you too Tama, saxotica, Benella and Buzzy for the nice comments and helpful hints.

Bamboo, you make me smile....lol

Thanks Dave!

I will work on cleaning up the 3 above and see how it all works out. I got a mask...lol so I am ready!Thanks everyone,

Amy

1st woman of stone......lol, I like that Tama.....

[ This Message was edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2006-12-05 13:48 ]

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-04 6:42 pm   Permalink

Sweet art. You are taking to this very well. Queen of the stone.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 6:09 pm   Permalink

here is 2 more pictures of the 2 with more smoothing and more finishing. I will continue to work on these. Thanks Paipo and Tama for the finishing hints. They look a lot better in person. My photo skills are just lacking.

Amy

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 7:11 pm   Permalink

Hi Amy.

Good to see some better shots of those. You have some really nice forms/balance going on in there that I imagine would translate well on a larger scale. To me, this is one way of gauging the 'strength' of a design if ever in doubt... It seems you have a natural eye for these things.

Keep 'em coming. I will enjoy seeing your progress & improvement.

All encouragement. Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 12:23 am   Permalink

Happy to see some news of your carvings.
Really nice stuff especially i love the first picture that is very cool.

Ben

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 07:16 am   Permalink

Queenie, I LOVE the detail you are getting on your rocks. It's not fair that you are starting out looking like Aan Acomplished carver so soon! I Love it though. Nice stuff

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation