FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki New Kon-Tiki movie!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
New Kon-Tiki movie!
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 12:44 am   Permalink

nothing in Europe (except Norway) until 2013, from what I read...

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-06 04:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-23 15:03, sharkbait wrote:
....At the same time there's been a lot of rumbling in the press about how the movie treats Herman Watzinger - his character is essentially made up and bears little resemblance to the real person (both physically and in terms of his character traits), much to the displeasure of his daughter. That seems to be the only negative, everything else looks good....

I think we can expect quite a bit of artistic license. I didn't know for example Thor found the Kon-Tiki logo statue in the jungle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=527Qd5EdkEY&feature=related

Thing is, the movie has to capture a whole new generation of viewers that was not around when the actual voyage and the ensuing Kon-Tiki fever happened. You do that by dramatizing events that might have never happened that way, or it will be boring for viewers with no reference and knowledge of the historic events. It's the movies.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sharkbait
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-06 05:14 am   Permalink

Haha yeah, in the movie he find the Kon-Tiki statue in the jungle on Fatu Hiva. I liked the movie, but it's definitely a good idea to not expect it to adhere too closely to the actual persons, events and even, in some cases, reality (a *school* of great white sharks in the equatorial part of The Pacific? I don't think so!).

The filmmakers have certainly done their job in terms of capturing the imagination of people, however - 10 days after its release, it has already sold in excess of 400.000 tickets. That may sound like a small number, but keep in mind that Norway is a country of less than 5 million people, and the demand for the movie is far from slowing down yet. I look forward to its international release, though - it'll be interesting to hear what people outside Norway thinks of it!

View Profile of sharkbait Send a personal message to sharkbait      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-13 8:36 pm   Permalink

Norway has selected Kon-Tiki as their official entry into the foreign language Oscar contest, so the US should be hearing and seeing more from it soon, I suspect: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118059188?refcatid=13

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-11-27 12:50 pm   Permalink

blogs.laweekly.com/arts/2012/11/kon-tiki_norway_oscar_entry.php
By Michael Nordine Mon., Nov. 26 2012 at 3:09 PM
Aero Theatre Wed, November 28 7:30pm

Why You Should Check Out Kon-Tiki, Norway's Most Expensive Film Ever
Not only Norway's Oscar submission for Best Foreign Language Film but also its most expensive cinematic production to date, Kon-Tiki is a biopic about a man who, in 1947, set out to prove a crackpot theory that (spoiler alert!) turned out to be right.
The man in question is Thor Heyderdahl, an ethnographer who firmly believed that "the oceans were not barriers, but roads" for ancient explorers and was willing to sail 5,000 miles in a period-correct raft in order to show the closed-minded scientific community just how right he was. And so, just as the vikings made landfall in America long before Columbus but never received a national holiday for it, Thor hopped on his homemade vessel from Peru to Polynesia in hopes of proving that, contrary to prevailing wisdom, inhabitants of the former first settled the latter some 1,500 years earlier. (This notion has since been largely discredited, but whatever.) The film screens Wednesday at the Aero with co-directors Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg in person for a post-film discussion.

It's easy to imagine much of the preceding setup being grating for anyone who grew up hearing this story. But, unlike most biopics, Roenning and Sandberg's mostly abstains from audience-flattery and eye-winking, and Academy voters' unfamiliarity with the subject matter might actually work in the film's favor. (If it ends up winning, it'll be the first Norwegian movie to take home an Oscar since the original Kon-Tiki, a documentary Heyerdahl and his team filmed en route, scored a statuette in 1951.)

Like a lot of historical reenactments, it's often concerned with demonstrating what an exceptional fellow its protagonist was, which doesn't help convince us that he might not survive the Ahabic excursion he's imposed upon himself. Just because we already know the destination doesn't mean the journey shouldn't be as exciting as possible.

Thor is joined by four others, all of whom are noble in intent but like osprey when compared to their fearless, borderline monomaniacal leader. Hampered only slightly by the usual peripheral concerns -- a worried wife and two kids on the homestead, legions of nonbelievers on either end of the ocean -- Thor and his almost inexplicably loyal crew often look like sitting ducks on a piece of glorified driftwood. There's some infighting and the occasional worry about the structural integrity of the eponymous vessel, but the co-directors come across as hesitant to make the circumstances truly dire.

That we can guess the outcome of their so-crazy-it-might-work quest far more easily than they can isn't exactly conducive to high drama, but neither is it a deal-breaker. Kon-Tiki is a much tighter ship than the one it's about, with any leaks it springs along the way slowing it down but not sinking it.

The second hour consists almost entirely of the group's 100-day journey across the Pacific, and though their beards grow at roughly the same pace as their desperation, the trek is more of a visual treat than a visceral one. (The whale shark and bio-luminescent jellyfish are especially nice touches.) An exception is a scene in which one of the men brutally kills the Great White who just ate his pet parrot, thereby attracting more sharks in the process. The film could have used a bit more of this blood in the water, but its crystal-clear waves are a sight to behold nevertheless.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-06 9:12 pm   Permalink

I saw it today at the Palm Springs Film Festival. Great Movie that was visually stunning.
They did a great job sticking to the book and trimming down some of the boring fact's
and adding more drama between the men on the Kon Tiki.

W

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-07 4:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the review, Rory. I can't wait to see it.

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 11:34 am   Permalink

Phew, what a relief: It actually is a really good movie! I am a Kon Tiki fan boy, so I would have loved it in any case, but after seeing it, I am sure it will hold up to a general audience.

Good News for all: The Weinstein company will distribute it in the States!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2013-01-09 12:31 pm   Permalink

You can watch the 1950 documentary on Hulu. here's the link:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/438443

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-10 08:56 am   Permalink

Apparently it has been nominated for Academy Awards for best foreign language movie.

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2013-01-10 08:57 ]

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-10 09:17 am   Permalink

It would be so cool if it would win again, after the documentary won one:

The 2 directors are really nice, level-headed guys, judging by the Q & A they did on Tuesday after the screening. They really did a fantastic job. Being nominated alone is already a boost for their career, but a win would be the ticket, and really let the saga of Kon Tiki live on.

tikilongbeach

Posted: 2013-01-10 09:56 am   Permalink

Last April I went to a movie at the Academy on Wilshire and they had a huge framed poster from the 1950 Kon-Tiki documentary on the second floor. Foreshadowing of their 2013 Oscar nomination, perhaps?
I wish I could have stayed for all of the Q&A when I saw the movie, but it was a work night for me. They did seem like really nice guys.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-10 11:48 am   Permalink

It seems unlikely to win, it's up against very strong competition, but this makes it much more likely to have a decent theatrical release in North America. Looking forward to seeing it.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-10 12:37 pm   Permalink

A double Oscar would be nice!

The movie is showing at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival which starts Jan 24th. No date released for the movie showing yet.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-11 12:20 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-01-11 00:27 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation