[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » show us your Barney West
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
show us your Barney West
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-09 05:21 am   Permalink

My favorite carver from "back in the day". Would anyone with pictures please post.Not just stuff you own, any pictures, post cards, etc.[yes, I've used the "search" feature; I need MORE !!!]Thank you all and Happy Holidays.

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 05:53 am   Permalink

I agree with you Sax, I love the Barney West tikis in the "book", especially the one with four or
five of 'em all lined up. I was searching for more pics cuz I wanted to carve something similar
but couldn't find anything. C'mon, somebody must have some pics!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 08:26 am   Permalink

He's not the Asian with the pipe is he? Man, that guy looks like a character.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 12:24 pm   Permalink

Hey, Sax - here's a great postcard Sabu posted on the "big logs" thread a long time back. What an inspiring shot!

Quote:

On 2005-01-30 00:27, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
...I thought you all might appreciate this old image of Barney West carving tikis at his Tiki Junction in Sausalito, CA. Check out the size of that tiki pole that is almost finished, then take a look at the log behind it, ready to carve next. That is one big log:

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 12:40 pm   Permalink

Aquaraj posted some great info on the Barney West tiki that was in from of the Lanai Liquors in San Mateo, CA in this thread.

also, check out Randy’s Lanai Liquors slide show here:

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-11 12:42 pm   Permalink

From 2003, at Trader Vic's Chicago...

And there's a slideshow link for the LANAI tiki on
this page.

And isn't this one (and a bunch more) at the Mai Kai by Barney West?

Check out the Hukilau photos thread for more pics of the Barney West tikis at the Mai Kai, including the signature moai tiki.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-11 12:51 pm   Permalink

Oh, funny timing, AA! Thanks for the nod to my pics and slideshow for the Lanai Liquors tiki. You might have a typo on the third picture, since it's the same as the first. Here's a nightshot, with the sign which is gone too now.

Speaking of the Lanai, here's one more item with a (different) visible Barney West tiki.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 1:01 pm   Permalink

Atlanta Trader Vic's

I remember asking bigbro about this guy. I think it's a West.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 1:22 pm   Permalink

Wow, great start. Thank you all. That one at the Mai Kai entrance looks like a preying mantis or something...very cool. I wish we had a close up of that post card shot. Ol' Barney's carving lot must have been something to behold. I'm trying to get up enough inspiration and nerve to tackle this big log I've got. It's 32" X 9 feet. Or as Barney might have said... "small to medium".

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 2:40 pm   Permalink

Barney West is another part of my Tiki Roots.

Having grown up in Marin County I had faint childhood memories of these mysterious, giant, carved idols just off the road that we passed many times.

I bought a post card on ebay, (which is the same of image from pg. 246 of the BOT), to frame as a treasured reminder.

I was amazed that after doing a thorough search online I couldn't find ONE photo!

I'm glad some other TCers had some!

I did however find this link
http://www.goofspot.com/bamboo/images/lanai.htm
in which you can watch a beautiful Barney West Original being removed from the Lanai Liquors in San Mateo.

This one kinda half image of a "maybe" Barney West Tiki came from Swanky's site....well, at least there's the girl to look at!

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2006-12-12 07:47 am   Permalink

A photo I found in the Sept 1968 issue of PSA Journal, (Photographic Society of America):

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-12 10:17 am   Permalink

Interesting when you look at the apparatus that Barney had on premises to work around those logs. Moving a six-foot, 20-inch diameter log is no easy task...a hernia waiting to happen. Moving a 20-foot, f i v e f o o t diameter log is crane work, plain and simple. Here's some more shots of the Barney Wests at Trader Vic's Atlanta. Swank, you're right, the one in the corner inside of the first dining room is his. Actually there are two small ones in there (Sorry if I'm rambling on and on..this guy is one of my heroes...Leroy Scmaltz, Barney West, and Ed Crissman, in that order)

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-12 10:25 am   Permalink

Here is some Ed Crissman work in the same Atlanta Trader Vic's. One of the best Vic's locations in the world...a perfectly preserved time capsule

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-12 12:46 pm   Permalink

For anyone interested in Barney West the guy, Leroy at Oceanic Arts had some very colorful stories about him when I was talking to him about the Lanai tikis. Unfortunately I've forgotten many of the details of the tales that Leroy told me. But I roughly remember something about Barney living in a boat that had a bunch of catwalks that he could navigate with ease. And also I think there was a story about Barney driving his van off a pier.

I'm not saying to bug Leroy when he's trying to work, but if you happen to be visiting OA and get in a conversation with him, I highly recommend taking the opportunity to ask if he remembers any good stories about Barney.

-Randy

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-12 8:01 pm   Permalink

How about a book about Barney, Leroy? Write the stories down. I'll buy it.
For some reason I'm not sure of, I feel akin to Barney.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation