FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Do You See What I See? Holiday Movies and TV You May Have Missed
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Do You See What I See? Holiday Movies and TV You May Have Missed
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-01 7:07 pm   Permalink

Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol is a friend's favorite Xmas special. When my other friend (I have two) got it for her for Christmas last year it eclipsed all of the jewelry and clothes he also heaped upon her.

And speaking of A Christmas Carol

A few years back there was a made for cable TV version of A Christmas Carol starring Patrick Stewart which was really excellent. A Christmas Carol is well known and many versions exist (See above!) so new takes on it are often ignored. But this one is extremely faithful to Dickens' story and the attention to period detail (bad teeth, no Christmas trees) is admirable. On top of that the performances are top notch. Stewart presents a Scrooge that you actually understand. He's not just some scenery chewing bastard, you can see how he became the man he is. Richard E. Grant seems to have been born to play Bob Cratchit and Joel Grey as the Ghost of Christmas Past is wistfully pleasant yet completely creepy.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-01 7:27 pm   Permalink

What? No mention of Die Hard, Lethal Weapon or
L.A. Confidential?

I hope Bud White doesn't show up and tear your Xmas lights down.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-01 8:39 pm   Permalink

Anyone remember the 1979/'80 film 'The Man In The Santa Claus Suit' starring Fred Astaire? Haven't seen it since my teens but recall enjoying it. Family friendly, made for TV, but not Made for Children (specifically). No puppets, no clay, no animation whatsoever. And no tap dancing, either. Possibly not even one song, neither. Perhaps it was soppy, I don't remember. I do recall it being somewhat sad but fairly emotive and morally lifting.

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-11 2:16 pm   Permalink

For those who enjoy strange, kitschy, eerie Christmas-oriented films just as much as the serious classics, like I do, you may wish to check out The Flaming Lips film 'Christmas On Mars' (2008).

No doubt they, too, are fans of B grade Sci-Fi films, and films like 'Santa Claus' and 'Santa Claus Conquers The Martians'.

http://christmasonmars.cinemapurgatorio.com/

The only problem I have with this film, is the problem I have with any other modern day attempt at an homage to past kitsch: it's conscientiously kitschy. Real kitsch -- or more accurately defined, what is later to be termed 'kitsch' by critics, purveyors, and other self-appointed connoisseurs of what is good taste -- is not self-conscious of itself; not conscientious that it is going to be termed kitsch, nor does it set out to be.

And speaking of which, here's a great site for fans of K. Gordon Murray's 'Santa Claus' and his follow up film shorts 'Santa's Little Helpers', 'Santa's Fantasy Fair', 'Santa's Enchanted Village', 'Santa's Magic Kingdom':

http://www.kgordonmurray.com/index.html

One will note that many of the latter film shorts were filmed in various Santa's Villages in California in the 1960s. These films trigger something within me; something from my childhood. I also remember going to a Santa's Village somewhere in the early 1970s -- though I don't recall it being in California.

Above: Santa's Village, Skyforest, California, circa 1960s

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-14 2:14 pm   Permalink

Okay, TC'ers, I've another one; and this film I HIGHLY recommend. It's a family film but not a kiddie film; it's lightly dramatic and at times very comical; features some song and dance but is not a musical. The film is 'The Great Rupert'(aka 'A Christmas Wish' in its recent colourised version)from 1950 and stars Jimmy Durante, who is absolutely larger than life in this picture and steals every scene he's in.

'The Great Rupert' is about a down-and-out New York show business family trio that is penniless and homeless just before Christmas. They learn about a tiny, dingy groundfloor apartment and finagle their way in, promising (the landlord's son, who is instantly smitten with the daughter) to pay the required advance rent in a couple days, which doesn't sit at all well with the miserly upstairs landlord. Unbeknownst to the family (above and below) a show-business squirrel (yes, you heard correctly) named Rupert lives in the rafters of the apartment. (The squirrel was created via stop-animation, and was quite a feat at the time; even winning an award or two.) Things look pretty dismal for the family until the mother makes a wish and, thanks to Rupert, the wish brings (literally DOWN) the means with which to fulfill itself (and more).

Anyway, from there the picture develops into a joyful roller coaster ride, taking many turns and a few deviations. Things become good, then crazy, then disaster, but in the end a happy ending for all.

This is a wonderful, hidden Holiday gem.

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2008-12-15 13:58 ]

joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 12:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-01 19:07, woofmutt wrote:

And speaking of A Christmas Carol

A few years back there was a made for cable TV version of A Christmas Carol starring Patrick Stewart which was really excellent. A Christmas Carol is well known and many versions exist (See above!) so new takes on it are often ignored. But this one is extremely faithful to Dickens' story and the attention to period detail (bad teeth, no Christmas trees) is admirable. On top of that the performances are top notch. Stewart presents a Scrooge that you actually understand. He's not just some scenery chewing bastard, you can see how he became the man he is. Richard E. Grant seems to have been born to play Bob Cratchit and Joel Grey as the Ghost of Christmas Past is wistfully pleasant yet completely creepy.

I'm a big fan of Patrick Stewart. In addition to the TV version of A Christmas Carol, he also performed a one-man rendition of "A Christmas Carol" on stage in London and New York City. There is an audio book available:
http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Carol-Reissue-Charles-Dickens/dp/0671793829. I've listened to it and its wonderful.

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-24 6:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-29 15:37, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:

*A Black Adder's Christmas Carol

Caught this on the BBC (America) channel today and laughed my ass off. I love British comedy.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-24 9:53 pm   Permalink

Not sure if anyone posted this one...

It Came Upon the Midnight Clear

Mickey Rooney plays Mike Halligan, a retired cop from Manhattan living in California with his family who decides to show his grandson, who has never seen snow before, what a real white Christmas in New York is like. But he dies from a sudden heart attack in which Halligan makes a deal with the Archangel of Heaven to return to Earth for a week until Christmas and show his grandson the seasonal glories of New York City.

Hasn't been on in years and there's no DVD of it.

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-27 09:06 am   Permalink

I just saw the colorized version of "The Great Rupert" ("A Christmas Wish" on DVD) and I thought it was great, great fun! I loved it! I never even heard of the movie, and was surprised to find that it was a George Pal production, directed by Irving Pichel!

Definitely a very sweet and amusing film that works pretty well today, some fifty-odd years since it was made.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-01 07:50 am   Permalink

Ho-ho-hooray! It's bump time.

Here's the general intent of this thread:

Overlooked and possibly unknown holiday movies which are worth watching.

Worth watching means:

Movies and cartoons and TV specials which are well made and they make you feel all warm and tingly inside like you drank a big mug of magic cocoa.

OR

Movies and cartoons and TV specials which are so terrible you can't pull your eyes away and your dreams are filled with visions of wooden angels and creepy paper mache Santas.

If you make a recommendation please add some reason as to why it's worth seeing. Just dropping a movie name is sort of useless. We're all capable of using Google to find obscure stuff we don't know anything about. What will make this thread most useful is if you add personal comments.

Again, the focus is on the overlooked and obscure and worth watching. I'll update the list at the top of the thread as movies are suggested.

But right now I want to get a mug of this magic cocoa I heard about.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 09:33 am   Permalink

A Pink Panther Christmas...
Not for the poor tale of our mute hero trying to get something to eat
(he's starving the whole show..)
but for the JOLLY HOLIDAY song
which, in my opinion
is pretty catchy......

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 09:41 am   Permalink

A bit of a stretch but has anyone seen the sequel-

Halloween is Grinch Night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPcxnJQnzhE

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 11:09 am   Permalink

I'm often reminded of that one when heading to the euphemism!

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-18 11:49 pm   Permalink

An animated Christmas special the did NOT become a classic like the ones staring Charlie Brown, Rudolph and the Grinch. And only available on VHS...

B.C. A Special Christmas

If you think about it, Christmas did not exist in the time period designated as B.C. so Christmas specials with cavemen (and the Flintstones) would be a parodox or something like that.

There was a Winter holiday special episode of Xena Warrior Princess. Since she was suppose to have existed in B.C. time period, she celebrated Winter Solstice.

Xena: A Solstice Carol

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-04 8:58 pm   Permalink

Once again...It's the most wonderful time of the year to watch TV!!!

Since the holidays are so much about traditions and since severe cost saving cuts won't allow me to produce a completely new Holiday Bump Post I'll return to a favorite old chestnut of mine, "The True Meaning of This Thread," with a rehash of last years clarification...

"The True Meaning of This Thread"

The true meaning of this thread is Overlooked and possibly unknown holiday movies which are worth watching.

Worth watching means:

Movies and cartoons and TV specials which are well made and they make you feel all warm and tingly inside like you drank a big mug of magic cocoa.

OR

Movies and cartoons and TV specials which are so terrible you can't pull your eyes away and your dreams are filled with visions of wooden angels and creepy paper mache Santas.

If you make a recommendation please add some reason as to why it's worth seeing. Just dropping a movie name is sort of useless. We're all capable of using Google to find obscure stuff we don't know anything about. What will make this thread most useful is if you add personal comments.

Again, the focus is on the overlooked and obscure and worth watching. I'll update the list at the top of the thread as movies are suggested.

But right now I want to get a mug of this magic cocoa I heard about.

And that's the true meaning of this thread! Happy Holidays everybody!!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation