[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving mike stobbe's tikis
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
mike stobbe's tikis
mike-stobbe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 10:15 am   Permalink

okay I'm going to be posting here in this thread whenever I get a new one done . This is the latest , and I stained it and sanded it to get a fancy finish . Anyhow I don't know if I like it the way it is . I am fighting myself to burn it and sand it again . . . I think I want it to be darker and more ancient looking . anyone for or against , either or ? ? ?

View Profile of mike-stobbe Send a personal message to mike-stobbe  Goto the website of mike-stobbe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 10:18 am   Permalink

Mike, Leave it as is. Move on to the next one. (lookin real good by the way)

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joontiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-12-11 10:20 am   Permalink

Oh, VERY nice!

Personally, i'm a fan of Bisque Unglazed Tiki Mugs, and this reminds me of them, so i like it just the way it is!

View Profile of joontiki Send a personal message to joontiki  Email joontiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 10:22 am   Permalink

WOW! LEave it the way it is, You have a Very nice Tiki there. Perfect as it is, that way you wot't be yearning for "the Way it was".

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 10:25 am   Permalink

Tough getting good results burning and torching after you've stained it... at least with the hardwoods I do. The petroleum products in the stain flare up and burn irregularly and make a mess. Tried it many times before.

Carving looks really good and clean, though I'm curious as to why such a salmon color for stain? I really like the sanding you did, gives it a nice aged look.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike-stobbe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 10:32 am   Permalink

yeah , salmon . . . . ugh
It's actually more reddish than salmon , but it does look a little salmony . . .

It was some clear stain I had , left over from a fence I did in my front yard . I added a little red stain into it to darken it up, and that's how it turned out . I guess with time and age it will do something , I hope . Maybe darken up a little , or something .

Time will tell .

Thanks for the kind words everyone !

Onwards to the next tiki . . .

View Profile of mike-stobbe Send a personal message to mike-stobbe  Goto the website of mike-stobbe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sleestak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 10:35 am   Permalink

lemme fink about this..... i would burn it! but i do agree that its rad the way it is! or maybe get a little bit darker of a stain for the deeper areas if it may kill it to set it on fire for a minute! either way it makes me fink about stuff. i need to come over and finish mine this week! maybe tonight! by the way ripping dinner last night at zee bali hai, always a great meal!

View Profile of sleestak Send a personal message to sleestak  Email sleestak Goto the website of sleestak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 10:41 pm   Permalink

I agree with Ben. This guy can carve! Nice, even chisel texture, too.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-12 04:27 am   Permalink

Mike,

Seeing as you have a sweet chisel finish, I would try for a finish like Marcus does - with a black layer partially sanded off and a dark stain on top of that. That will add several hundred years to him quick! I'm not sure how he does it (although I do have some ideas ). Send him a PM and maybe he'll walk you through it. I think that is your best bet.

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike-stobbe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-12 09:39 am   Permalink

yeah that sounds like a good idea , I think I should have gotten something other than a " red wood " stain . I'll mess with it a little more once it sits out for a while , maybe a darker stain and a little more sanding .

Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 11:37 am   Permalink

I don't know, at first I didn't like the red color but it's starting to grow on me. Hell, just carve another one and stain the new one different. Nothing wrong with a little variation.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 11:40 am   Permalink

Awesome tiki. Solid work.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike-stobbe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 1:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-13 11:37, Matt Reese wrote:
exactly what I was thinking . . .

I don't suppose having too many tikis would be a problem ?!?

[ This Message was edited by: mike-stobbe 2006-12-13 13:28 ]

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 1:42 pm   Permalink

I like the color, its different in a good way. I have only one thing that I noticed, the head design reminds me of another artists work. Can't put my finger on it. The head and the body are just a hair different. The body is more angler and the head features are more round. Is this usually common and I just noticed, I'm not a carver so. But certainly one of the best I've seen.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike-stobbe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 2:16 pm   Permalink

I used a mug image that I swiped off ebay to lay out the face , that might be what you're seeing . It was actually a pretty comon / well known mug too I think . Good eye !

I'm still not good enough to figure out all those shapes & contours in my own head , so I " borrowed " a little from here & there . The body is all mine though .

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation