FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Aku Aku, Toledo, OH (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Aku Aku, Toledo, OH (restaurant)
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 03:41 am   Permalink

Here's a 1963 ad I found

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bdzmusicprod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-14 05:21 am   Permalink

Here are some photos I was able to take of a menu that dates to around 1963.

View Profile of bdzmusicprod Send a personal message to bdzmusicprod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bdzmusicprod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-19 11:04 am   Permalink

Graciously provided by James Steeber who's father managed the hotel after Irv Shapiro left.

Layout of the Aku Aku.

[ This Message was edited by: bdzmusicprod 2011-08-01 04:35 ]

View Profile of bdzmusicprod Send a personal message to bdzmusicprod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bdzmusicprod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-29 04:45 am   Permalink

The following are reprints from a brochure advertising the Town House Motel and the Aku Aku Polynesian Room. The brochure must have come from around 1965 as it shows the third floor addition and advertises 132 room capacity. A big thank you goes out to James Steeber who provided this from his collection. His father managed the hotel after Irv Shapiro left.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 4:14 pm   Permalink

Thank you bdzmusicprod for your continued, devoted research into this fascinating place. While it is certainly good to see interiors, it's hard to tell anything about the decor in that size of photos. The little I can make out, it doesn't look too overwhelming. The ceiling looks barren, and I can't see anything else reminiscent of the style. The entrance shows no signs of Tiki either. Almost like the pics are from another place. Maybe they renovated and slicked it up by '65?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bdzmusicprod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-08 12:53 pm   Permalink

The hotel complex was built in the early 1960's and reflected the architecture of the day which has come to be known as "googie" architecture a style which used a lot of glass, angled roof lines and other modernistic styles. The interior of the club which is not reflected well in these magazine quality black and white photos shows a simpler design without the typical tiki touches. For those that went to the place the descriptions given of it's interior are nothing less than spectacular. It was described as a jewel of a place. It had tiki touches but they were more reserved which also served to prevent fire hazards. It's too bad that no color photos exist (that we know of). Perhaps something will turn up. For now we have a glimpse of what the interior looked like. One individual said that there was a lot of red on the walls and that the tropical diorama was very colorful.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-26 9:31 pm   Permalink

A few matchbooks styles from the Aku Aku as seen on ebay.

Clearly borrowed from the Luau 400 design in New York.

Or was that vice-versa?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bdzmusicprod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-30 07:58 am   Permalink

8-30-2012 update. The rest of the property is being developed where the Town House Motel once stood 23 years ago. A Dollar General Store is being built on the site next to Rally's. I found a chunk of the swimming pool wall dug up from the excavation...the blue paint still intact. I also found pieces of the decorative brick that adorned the outside walls of the Aku Aku and hotel lobby. Little else to be found...most of the debris was scraped away during demolition.

bdzmusicprod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-07 6:39 pm   Permalink

Another picture of the original concept drawing from 1960.

Article accompanying picture.

Toni Carrol. Also announcing Jack E. Leonard. I received a note from a guy who worked there in the 1960's and carried Jack E. Leonard's luggage to the third floor...it took three trips and Mr. Leonard tipped him a quarter. The guy said he gave it back to him.

[ This Message was edited by: bdzmusicprod 2012-10-26 16:30 ]

bdzmusicprod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-10-26 4:36 pm   Permalink

This comment was made by a guy who worked as a houseboy at the Aku Aku Town House Motel.
September 2, 2012, 5:24 PM
I worked at the motel from 1965-1968. I was a House Boy. I was thirteen when I started. My Mom also worked there as the Assistant House Keeper.
And I remember Ed Johnson with his gruff voice and Dock Worker style hat. He was the maintenance man and he taught me a lot.
If I remember right the owners name was Richard Schear.
I remember Irv Shapiro. It was wise to stay on his good side. And that's all that I will say about that.
I remember them bringing in the gambling equipment once a year.
I can still remember Rusty Warren running around the 3rd floor nude. She was there doing her Knockers Up gig.
I also remember Frank Sinatra Jr. he looked down on everybody.
I had to take Jack E. Leonard'S luggage up to the 3rd floor while he was appearing at the Aku Aku Room. It took me three trips. He gave me a quarter tip. (I gave it back)
I got to meet Johnny Weissmuller. He was at the Toledo Zoo as Jungle Jim. He was very nice to me.
I have a Aku Aku room coin that they use to hand out.

bdzmusicprod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-10-29 04:40 am   Permalink

Here is a postcard in color of the Town House Motel and the interior of the Aku Aku.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-29 12:00 pm   Permalink

Wow, finally....that looks like the same angle than the B&W photo in the brochure...and just like with the brochure pic, on cannot tell anything because it is so small. Is there anyway to zoom into that photo and blow it up?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-29 5:23 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

Still not much to see in the way of Tiki or Poly Pop attributes>

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2012-10-29 17:25 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-29 10:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks. Looks like a cool Calypso band though. That must be the stage where all those (semi-)celebrities performed.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-30 07:20 am   Permalink

All those smokers! Look at everyone with their elbow on the table and smokes in the air. If we went back in time, we'd be freaked out by the smoke first of all...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation