Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Carvers dig this! Caution-not tiki
Carvers dig this! Caution-not tiki
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 6:26 pm   Permalink

Just wanted to bring this carving to your attention. I found this while researching
Tlingit/Haida and Pacific Coast Indian carvings...it blows me away! I have been thinking of
doing some PC totem carvings cuz the images of raven/beaver/etc would be more popular in
Northern Wis...and i might be able to sell something!
For your viewing pleasure..."Raven and the First Men."
http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Haida/java/english/art/image_art68.html

[ This Message was edited by: congatiki 2006-12-13 18:31 ]

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 7:03 pm   Permalink

Conga,

Northern carvers should be able to sell the heck out of bird decoys and vintage looking fish decoys (used for ice fishing a long time ago). I imagine the Native American and Inuit carvings would be popular as well.

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 7:05 pm   Permalink

Did you know that this carver reproduced this very piece on MASSIVE & Netsuke size..?? Ive seen a picture with him standing in front of the biggie, holding the littley... Cant for the life of me remember where I saw it, doh!

Not sure which this is???

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-14 6:47 pm   Permalink

Thats awesome! Thanks

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-14 9:23 pm   Permalink

Aloha Conga.
I'm diggin' these kinds of carvings too. They are incredibly beautiful. I was up in Portland in June and visited a museum with plenty Pacific Northwest carvings and art. Still kickin' myself for not buying one of there related books. I figured I could get one down here for cheaper. There aren't any here. Guess I'll have to get one from Amazon.
Thanks for reminding me.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-14 11:06 pm   Permalink

Bill Reid is a very well known artist in Canada. Several of his works are depicted on the 20 dollar bill including Spirit of Haida Gwaii which is installed outside the Canadian Embassy in Washington D.C.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-12-16 08:01 am   Permalink

conga - thanks for the link. that carving is excellent. Thats crazy to think how big one version is!!!

I also love the carvings of the Northwest, and I think you would do well monetarily if you decided to carve a few. I've been asked down here in so cal to carve some, so I would imagine there would be a lot more people near you who would be interested.

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2006-12-16 08:02 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 10:34 am   Permalink

Hi...I thought this carving was very cool...glad it has generated some response. There
are some other great NW Indian carvings at
www.alaskanativeartists.com.

You're right Polynesiac, the Northwoods of Wisconsin is filled with hunting shacks and
log cabins where some bird/animal carvings would fit right in. I recently did a carving
demo at a local woodproducts company event and people were impressed with my work but a
little bit confused. One lady actually brought the bible into the discussion and suggested
that I be very careful carving false gods. I think ravens/other animals would do pretty
well. But I LOVE carving tikis...so who knows.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 1:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:
One lady actually brought the bible into the discussion and suggested
that I be very careful carving false gods.

I would ask her , "Who said they were false gods?" Sounds like she's passing judgement. naughty naughty.

(edited to correct spelling)

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-12-16 13:23 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 2:51 pm   Permalink

JT--I started to get ticked off at her for being judgemental but she assured me that she was
just concerned for my well-being, since she believed in spirits and thought they might come
after me. I've been waiting for something to happen but, unfortunately, I wait on...and
on...

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 3:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-16 14:51, congatiki wrote:
she believed in spirits and thought they might come
after me.

I, for one, like spirits!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 4:30 pm   Permalink

Right on, I'm with finkdaddy.
Tell her she should watch out for her own spirits (liquor cabinet).

edited to correct spelling again dangit

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-12-16 16:31 ]

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation