FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music The Buffet Rant and what it means.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
The Buffet Rant and what it means.
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-16 3:19 pm   Permalink

Please read this whole post before you get your dander up. If, when you're finished, your dander is still in need of an uprising, then so be it...

I've been following the "What's wrong with Jimmy Buffet?" thread with some interest. If I had been the one who posted the original question, my impression of the respondants (and the group as a whole) would be that we're all a bunch of stuffy, closed-minded collectors who aren't in the least interested in having a good time (oh yeah, and we all hate lite beer). Now here's the interesting part:

A. I agree with all the negative sentiments.
B. We're not any of those things
C. Most of us are a HELL of a lot of fun
D. O.K., most of us really do hate light beer, but that's not my point.
D. I have attended a Jimmy Buffet concert or two.

Here's what I'm getting around to; what to these anti-Buffet sentiments say about us and our love of tiki culture (and not about our opinion of Jimmy Buffet's music)?

For me I know exactly what it says: I'm a purist and I love creating immersive environments. The environments I create are usually fun and interesting, but I also like them to be authentic in every way possible (without affecting the fun and interesting part). Experiences are like flavors, I think: each one is interesting and distinct and they should be enjoyed as such. Yes, I freak when maple syrup gets on my sausage. It just ain't right. I like sausage and I like syrup but they belong in separate bites, dammit!

In case anyone is wondering, yes, I am indeed on heavy medication right now, and thanks for asking. They say "alcahol may intensify the effect" like that's a BAD thing...

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-16 9:32 pm   Permalink

I for one think the only way to eat breakfast sausage is with some maple syrup on it (and I like syrup on my cornbread too).

I read the "What's wrong with Jimmy Buffet" messages and thought that most everyone presented good arguments as to why they don't care for the whole Parrot Head scene. If there's one thing Tiki Centralites are good at it's analyzing a topic to the finest degree.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-17 12:54 am   Permalink

True Tiki is a dimly lit thatched bar with glowing orbs hanging from the ceiling, Arthur Lyman vibraphone seeping through the air, colorful drinks served in ceramic tiki mugs, and dark wooden tikis peeking out from behind Monstera Delicosa leaves in the corner..

----

Jimmy Buffet is a lame Florida "tiki" bar which amounts to nothing more than a crappy patio with no thatch in sight, plastic chairs, beer served in plastic cups, bad "classic" rock on the PA, and drunk mullet-haired over-the-hill partyin' types trying to pretend it's a "lifestyle"

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Biotron2000
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-17 08:40 am   Permalink

I had no idea what I was starting...I thought it was a fairly innocent question, but I'm kinda new here.
I am enjoying everyone's responses, though. I know they're not arrogant, stuffy, etc., but fiercely protective of the Tiki culture. I'm just learning about it, but I find it rather cool (and I love the exotica music I've managed to track down).
Keep those responses coming!

...when drums begin to pound, my head full - BIG sound!
[img]http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/images/avatars/3fc1bc033d70dcbbea619.gif[/im

View Profile of Biotron2000 Send a personal message to Biotron2000  Email Biotron2000 Goto the website of Biotron2000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-17 11:05 am   Permalink

Maxton, you on Zyban too? Damn this is some crazy-ass stuff.

Dry... Mouth.... Need... Mai Tai....

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-20 8:41 pm   Permalink

If you all were going for "authentic" half the crap you probably own wouldn't be in your tiki bars.
I have collected tiki stuff for years and years and have danish modern lamps next to and over my witco bar. It makes me feel good! So does Jimmy Buffet! I can sip on a cocktail or beer at my pool or tiki bar listening to his music and remembering great vacations in the Keys and New Orleans, BBQs, and drunken concerts with friends. Get the big stick out of your ass and do what makes YOU feel good! Isn't that what it's all about-don't let others tell you what to listen to! Give me a break!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-21 06:00 am   Permalink

I don't think anyone here told anyone else not to listen to Jimmy Buffet... they just said why THEY wouldn't listen to Jimmy Buffett.

PS. Long live Jimmy's Buffet!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-21 07:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

Get the big stick out of your ass and do what makes YOU feel good!

Apparent from the large number of postings on this topic, making fun of Jimmy Buffet & commenting on his non-tiki-ness make several Tiki Centralites feel overwhelmingly good!

Perhaps you could present your argument pertaining to how Mr. Buffet does fit in w/ your authentic tiki & danish thingies.

[I was going to end this post w/ a witty(?) comment about big sticks in asses but thought it too distasteful.]

Tiki Chris

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-05-21 07:32 ]

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokomoTikiBar&Grill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-21 07:59 am   Permalink

who cares what kind of drinks is served at jimmy buffets. mcdonalds say they are in the hamburger business and i know they aint got no freaking hamburgers there. so he isnt tiki, but hes got a hell of a lot going for him. his music is great, he enjoys life and he is filthy rich. alot more than i can say about myself. i enjoy life, but i am musically challenged and i aint got no money. tiki to me is about the bar, the drinks, statues, mask, mugs, pinups and music. but what you determine to be fun should also be included. people who rant and rave over the small things are people who are extremly jealous of others. aloha from Kokomo, Mississippi. pine trees and palms baby!!!!!!!

View Profile of KokomoTikiBar&Grill Send a personal message to KokomoTikiBar&Grill      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-05-21 09:04 am   Permalink

People, people! Can't we all just get along? The poster of the original message just asked why we bag on JB. The reason is, well.. we are a group of tiki freaks. JB does not fit in with our perception of such. If we were a group of Jimmy Buffett freaks things would be different. Does anyone really think most Jimmy Buffett-philes give a rats ass about exotica? As a guitarist, I think Frank Zappa is one of the best guitarist, composers, arrangers that ever fondled a fingerboard. But most people laugh at FZ. Oh, well. Now, on the count of 3, a big tiki group hug and kiss (no tongues!).

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-21 09:35 am   Permalink

What some Buffetteers don't seem to have grasped is that there is quite a chasm between their idea of Tiki & the Polynesian Pop idea. Nobody is saying that you must adhere to some sort of Tiki-Nazi purity law. People can mix and match as much as they want, but a whole lot of us just have no interest in crappy 80's faux-Tiki-Caribbean cheese. Who wants a t-shirt with an alligator wearing Blues-Brothers sunglasses
on it when you can get a nice bark-cloth from the 60's at half the price?

Nobody minds what music people listen to when they sup their fogcutters (hell, I listen to far more guitar-noise than lounge), but people do have an interest in the detail of Tiki. Sadly what many
Buff-divers think is Tiki makes others crinkle up their noses.

To use the Jimmy's Buffet analogy, it's like the difference between a Crab leg po' boy and a cheap crab spread sandwich.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-21 09:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

...crappy 80's faux-Tiki-Caribbean cheese. ...an alligator wearing Blues-Brothers sunglasses...

...Sadly what many Buff-divers think is Tiki makes others crinkle up their noses...

...the difference between a Crab leg po' boy and a cheap crab spread sandwich...

Trader Woody

*Buff-divers*? Brillant! I had no idea your were such a wordsmith!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-05-21 09:47 ]

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-21 3:30 pm   Permalink

What's wrong with tongues?!

Sorry, just hadda do that...

The meds have worn off...

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-21 5:29 pm   Permalink

My reason for trying to create an authentic tiki bar in my home is simple. I wasn't alive during the tiki heyday and I live about 1,000 miles from a good tiki bar - I'm recreating a place I've never physically been but have visited hundreds of times when listenening to Martin Denny,Les Baxter, etc.

If I want to listen to Jimmy Buffet in a faux tropical setting all I need to do is hop in the car, drive 20 miles to Baltimore and take my choice of unhospitable, drunken frat boy bars. No thanks...

If you want to be reminded of an exotic tiki paradise listen to exotica - if you want to recreate a night vomiting margaritas in a urine soaked men's room in Key West or losing consciousness in a grotesque port-a-pot in the parking lot of some concert venue - then crank up good ole' Jimmy!!
Just my opinion...

Johntiki

[ This Message was edited by: johntiki on 2002-05-21 17:30 ]

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-21 9:00 pm   Permalink

"If you want to be reminded of an exotic tiki paradise listen to exotica - if you want to recreate a night vomiting margaritas in a urine soaked men's room in Key West or losing consciousness in a grotesque port-a-pot in the parking lot of some concert venue - then crank up good ole' Jimmy!! "

HAHAHAHA

That's a CLASSIC!

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation