FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music The Buffet Rant and what it means.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
The Buffet Rant and what it means.
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 15, 2004
Posts: 490
From: Hawaii
Posted: 2006-04-21 6:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-21 17:55, Thomas wrote:
One more thing!

Hey! you were supposed ta....


 
View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 15, 2004
Posts: 490
From: Hawaii
Posted: 2006-04-21 6:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-21 17:55, Thomas wrote:
JB has a southern accent. It's not fake. He grew up in Mobile, AL. He is a very successful white southerner, and does not appear to suffer psychological guilt over this. This probably overstates the matter a bit, but sometimes it seems that for some folks, this is his gravest sin. Prejudice does take many forms.

Weyull, pardnuh, thayut wuz me. It's just that... a southern accent? In tropicrock? dass a crock! and for us here on da lava rock, we get enuff of the southern fried rock.
'round these parts here, we get alotta Lynard, Allman, 38Special, Blackfoot, (in a class all their own, you GO, boyz!)
No prejudice involved. Just an observation.


 
View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 15, 2005
Posts: 372
From: Lake Mojave
Posted: 2006-04-21 6:29 pm   Permalink

Well, "trop-rock" is a vague term -- the Beach Boys' "Kokomo" fits in there too. Heck, so do the Pina Colada song, and the Love Boat theme, for all I know. But it is strongly associated with Florida as well as something called "Gulf and Western" (country music associated with the gulf coast, thus the boating and fishing lifestyle of that region to a large extent).

A lot of goofy mush has come out of this sub-genre, but also it's often interesting to see country music encounter, and mix with, Caribbean stuff like steel drums and the like. I repeat: a lot of goofy mush ... but also some pretty nice stuff has emerged from this encounter. Mainstream country music, broadly speaking, not having been known for being particularly "multicultural" or "integrated," encounters the Caribbean. I dunno, I find it a musical twist that merits a listen now and then, and I *personally* find that a lot of it "travels" well, that is, works in other tropical/coastal settings other than the one from which it emerged (a bit like how reggae is very popular in Hawaii, the Philippines, etc.). But that's just one man's opinion.


 
View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 15, 2004
Posts: 490
From: Hawaii
Posted: 2006-04-21 6:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-21 18:29, Thomas wrote:
Well, "trop-rock" is a vague term -- the Beach Boys' "Kokomo" fits in there too. Heck, so do the Pina Colada song...


"drinking rhum and coca colaaaaaah"
yep gotta luvvit all, at least sample it now and zen.
wait; much of the beach boys' stuff could be called troprock...
"I come on the Sloop John B." when we hear that we thought: " hell; it's your boat, do what ya want on it!" and changed the station.
Quote:

a bit like how reggae is very popular in Hawaii,


we morph that into something wholly our own here.
'sfunny how conversely, Hawaiian music is wildly popular in Jamaica, now.


 
View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanekila
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 07, 2004
Posts: 185
From: Safety Harbor, FL
Posted: 2006-04-22 08:31 am   Permalink

Quote:
the "proximal" thing gets the disdain in this sort of scenario.



That pretty much nails it, IMO. Tikiphiles don't have a too strong an opinion either way (in my experience, anyway) about, say, R&B, but bring up the 'proximal' J.B., and watch out!

Quote:
'sfunny how conversely, Hawaiian music is wildly popular in Jamaica, now.



Is this for real and for true, or are you just making a funny!? I'm thinking you're just making a funny, but if it is true, it's the first I've heard of it. That would be way freakin' cool, though.

_________________
Kanekila


[ This Message was edited by: Kanekila 2006-04-22 08:32 ]


 
View Profile of Kanekila Send a personal message to Kanekila  Email Kanekila Goto the website of Kanekila     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 15, 2004
Posts: 490
From: Hawaii
Posted: 2006-04-22 1:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-22 08:31, Kanekila wrote: Is this for real and for true, or are you just making a funny!? I'm thinking you're just making a funny, but if it is true, it's the first I've heard of it. That would be way freakin' cool, though.



'swhat I heard.
ya see, it's in retaliation for us islanders commersializing and altering their music and also white kids makin like a fakin Jamaican.
They take our Hawaiian tunes, warp it a lil and repackage it to the tourists and call it Whapa-Jaowlie Music.


[ This Message was edited by: lanikai 2006-04-22 13:17 ]


 
View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigik
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Oct 25, 2005
Posts: 119
From: Ann Arbor Michigan
Posted: 2008-08-22 2:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-21 18:45, lanikai wrote:
> much of the beach boys' stuff could be
> called troprock... "I come on the Sloop
> John B."



Or "Louie, Louie"... "A fine little girl,
she wait for me. I sail my boat across de
sea..."


 
View Profile of tikigik Send a personal message to tikigik  Goto the website of tikigik ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2008-08-23 06:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-17 18:48, lanikai wrote:
I have tried to give Jimmy Buffett's stuff a chance. But fer eg; whenever I hear that female chorus join in;
Cheeseburger in paradise (Pair uh DIIIICE!)
aaauuugh! So damn... well... cheezy!
sounds like a cheap pop tune. just too simple.
sounds like some theme for a small burger joint chain.
and that Southern fried accent. I'd like to throw that on the grill and forget it for a few weeks.
I mean, what does he do; watch Dukes of Hazzard on TV while he's writing these songs?
"Awn thuh thereyushowuld-uv-udveyunchoor"
"Dayown thayut Spayuneeyish haaahwayuh!"
aaarrrrrgggghhhhxxxxzzz!

and his lyrics are overly simplistic and cute, (sometimes bordering on the infantile) rhyming anything just for the sake of rhyming often. "zucchini fettuchini".
and his blatant rip of of:
"The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful"
i mean c'mon. This ain't a song title, it's an old joke.

His "Changes in attitude" is a rip off of the old "Sonora's Death Row." listen to Leo Kottke's rendition.

How bout this:
"I like mine with lettuce and tomato
Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes
Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer
Well good God almighty which way do I steer, for my..."
I could NEVER, no matter how drunk i got, imagine myself singing that pap.
that's not poetic or evocative or inspiring.
That is a construction worker's conversation; reciting his shopping list and urges of the moment.

A web site (http://tinyurl.com/zcupd) that tries to understand the attraction of Buffet and his cult generously explains: "Jimmy Buffet's music can be best described as adult nursery rhymes celebrating drunkenness, laziness and promiscuity" "It can aptly be categorized as yuppie muzak. The ubiquitous xylophone and maracas create a nauseating faux island music experience" "This clown and his band are nothing more than a wedding/bar band that got lucky and found a nitch of idiots with more money that taste. The fans often refer to themselves as Parrot Heads who adorn themselves in silly straw hats, fake Hawaiian shirts, tight Khaki shorts, sandals and those sun glasses with the strings attached."

I listened to pirate at forty just now.
sounds formulaic. that b/g voices; done a thousand times before. It's a generic template for a pop song.

and his appropriation of carribean, marimba and mexican musical elements and motifs to flavor his songs that damned near sound all the same, makes ya realize; OK, he originally composed ditties for Disney and had the flash: "Hey! I could create a cult following darn near what the grateful dead had". (or rather: "Dern neyar whaut thuh guh-rate fuwol deyad heyud".
And he did.
wow.
I give him an "E" for effort. and marketing.
But no more of my time.
OK, he makes thousands of people happy. Especially when he's in concert and ya have these swarms of yuppies in their tommy bahama fake tropical wear all singing and swaying in unison. More power to him and his cult. More CD's for all them, too. Cuz i just don't buy it.

Oh. and his margaritaville tequila features some of the most pretentious copy ever written on a label on a bottle of any kind since adam and eve.
Just a taste, so yer cranium doesn't implode:
"Where is margaritaville? It's in the tropics between the port of indescision and southwest of disorder."
jesus!
His tourist traps; "Margaritaville" are an assault to the senses.
read one review here:
http://tinyurl.com/za6gg

("hey. Why doesn't anyone wanna leave Margaritaville? Cuz ya haveta go through Hangovertown to do it.")

His forgettable, snore inducing sllloooowww throwaway songs shanghai your brain and force it to board the boredom boat and float to somnambulistic oblivion. The only recourse is to run screaming to any other brand of tequila but his, to wash away the K-mart level musical experience.

Other than that, I like him.


[ This Message was edited by: lanikai 2006-04-17 18:54 ]




This is an excellent post. It sums up how I feel about Buffy the tiki slayer.
It's not that Buffy is a bad person, or even a particularly horrible musician. What bothers me is the veneration given this extremely bland artist by his fans.
It's not his lyrics even: God knows Michael Franks has inane lyrics too. Yet Michael Frank's music is at least interesting.

My guess is that the same people willing to shell out 400 dollars for Eagle's tickets are the same crowd that like Buffy.
I don't want them lined up against a wall and shot. That's not what the Buffy rant is about.
You could substitute the grateful dead for buffy, and I would have the same issue. I just don't "get" the music. I don't see why it is so much better then other bands of that genre, that it attracts huge cult audiences.
In all fairness, the band RUSH has the same problem. Few in the mainstream enjoy this band, yet the fans are rabid. But at least with RUSH you get three musicians who break barriers and are very innovative, experts.
Just like Martin Denny and Les Baxter. There music was innovative and original at the time.
But Buffy?
Mostly though, it's personal for me. A band I was in long ago turned into a buffy tribute band. I got to know intimately all his hit songs. Had to listen to all his albums ad naseum. For those that don't speak Latin, that means "to the point of being sick".
But again, most of my buffy ranting is just for the fun of it. I don't hate the guy, or his fans, followers. People should take these Buffy rants with a grain of salt. It's all in good fun. After all, if you consider yourself a "parrothead" should'nt you expect a few shots?
Buffy is a scene. It's a club. Not so much about the music. To be a parrothead is like saying you are into "tiki". There are people here who don't even like Exotica, for example, yet still like the scene.
Not for me. I won't own a buffy album. If I want lite country I think Cecelio and Kapono is a better choice.


 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Posts: 196
From: Southeast of Disorder
Posted: 2010-06-30 6:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Buffy is a scene.



No, Buffy is a television show.


_________________


traderscotts.com


 View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2010-06-30 8:27 pm   Permalink

Here's a bunch o' pirates, lookin' at forty!

arrrrrr!!!!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wV1R5JGLFo
_________________
http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

I AM A SOCIOPATH!


 View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 02, 2008
Posts: 1981
From: NorCal
Posted: 2010-06-30 8:35 pm   Permalink

I have a lot of respect for Jimmy Buffett because of what he is doing for the Gulf oil spill and the money he is raising to help the clean up --even though the term "clean up" is not accurate.
His music may want to make me drink Coronas (hey not bad in a pinch) but if his devoted followers want to throw their money towards a good cause I wouldn't be against listening to him play live.


Plus he is pretty supportive of people who keep getting the environmental shaft so to speak...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100701/ap_en_mu/us_gulf_oil_spill_buffett

[ This Message was edited by: leleliz 2010-06-30 20:38 ]


 View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2010-07-01 12:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-17 18:48, lanikai wrote:
I have tried to give Jimmy Buffett's stuff a chance. But fer eg; whenever I hear that female chorus join in;
Cheeseburger in paradise (Pair uh DIIIICE!)
aaauuugh! So damn... well... cheezy!
sounds like a cheap pop tune. just too simple.
sounds like some theme for a small burger joint chain.
and that Southern fried accent. I'd like to throw that on the grill and forget it for a few weeks.
I mean, what does he do; watch Dukes of Hazzard on TV while he's writing these songs?
"Awn thuh thereyushowuld-uv-udveyunchoor"
"Dayown thayut Spayuneeyish haaahwayuh!"
aaarrrrrgggghhhhxxxxzzz!

and his lyrics are overly simplistic and cute, (sometimes bordering on the infantile) rhyming anything just for the sake of rhyming often. "zucchini fettuchini".
and his blatant rip of of:
"The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful"
i mean c'mon. This ain't a song title, it's an old joke.

His "Changes in attitude" is a rip off of the old "Sonora's Death Row." listen to Leo Kottke's rendition.

How bout this:
"I like mine with lettuce and tomato
Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes
Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer
Well good God almighty which way do I steer, for my..."
I could NEVER, no matter how drunk i got, imagine myself singing that pap.
that's not poetic or evocative or inspiring.
That is a construction worker's conversation; reciting his shopping list and urges of the moment.

A web site (http://tinyurl.com/zcupd) that tries to understand the attraction of Buffet and his cult generously explains: "Jimmy Buffet's music can be best described as adult nursery rhymes celebrating drunkenness, laziness and promiscuity" "It can aptly be categorized as yuppie muzak. The ubiquitous xylophone and maracas create a nauseating faux island music experience" "This clown and his band are nothing more than a wedding/bar band that got lucky and found a nitch of idiots with more money that taste. The fans often refer to themselves as Parrot Heads who adorn themselves in silly straw hats, fake Hawaiian shirts, tight Khaki shorts, sandals and those sun glasses with the strings attached."

I listened to pirate at forty just now.
sounds formulaic. that b/g voices; done a thousand times before. It's a generic template for a pop song.

and his appropriation of carribean, marimba and mexican musical elements and motifs to flavor his songs that damned near sound all the same, makes ya realize; OK, he originally composed ditties for Disney and had the flash: "Hey! I could create a cult following darn near what the grateful dead had". (or rather: "Dern neyar whaut thuh guh-rate fuwol deyad heyud".
And he did.
wow.
I give him an "E" for effort. and marketing.
But no more of my time.
OK, he makes thousands of people happy. Especially when he's in concert and ya have these swarms of yuppies in their tommy bahama fake tropical wear all singing and swaying in unison. More power to him and his cult. More CD's for all them, too. Cuz i just don't buy it.

Oh. and his margaritaville tequila features some of the most pretentious copy ever written on a label on a bottle of any kind since adam and eve.
Just a taste, so yer cranium doesn't implode:
"Where is margaritaville? It's in the tropics between the port of indescision and southwest of disorder."
jesus!
His tourist traps; "Margaritaville" are an assault to the senses.
read one review here:
http://tinyurl.com/za6gg

("hey. Why doesn't anyone wanna leave Margaritaville? Cuz ya haveta go through Hangovertown to do it.")

His forgettable, snore inducing sllloooowww throwaway songs shanghai your brain and force it to board the boredom boat and float to somnambulistic oblivion. The only recourse is to run screaming to any other brand of tequila but his, to wash away the K-mart level musical experience.

Other than that, I like him.


[ This Message was edited by: lanikai 2006-04-17 18:54 ]

I know that Lanikai got driven off this forum years ago, but f-ing A, he could not have been more right about this! Die Buffy!


 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Joined: Mar 30, 2008
Posts: 7362
From: The Anvil of the Sun
Posted: 2010-07-01 1:26 pm   Permalink

Wait- what's wrong with "drunkenness, laziness and promiscuity"?

 
View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Feb 21, 2009
Posts: 422
From: Rockledge, FL
Posted: 2010-07-02 10:29 am   Permalink

I remember seeing him playing in the Florida Keys pre-"Margaritaville" and many times around FL until his shows became Parrothead circuses. Personally, I like the guy. He's attached himself to some great causes and he hasn't done anything monumentally stupid to give me reasons to dislike him (at least publicly). He strikes me as someone who would be really fun to share a drink or go fishing with.

His music however, especially, post let's say "Volcano" is completely forgettable. My brother is a big Parrothead and there's nothing like being 40 miles off of Bimini on a small boat with nothing but the Margaritaville satellite radio channel all day for an entire week. I find myself thinking about committing seppuku with filet knife after say, 6 or 7 hours!!!

The thing that really gets me though is more philosophical. The whole "Margaritaville" thing is supposed to be about breaking away from the safe, boring and corporate and finding the authentic and true. And yet, the Parrotheads flock to the nearest Margaritaville restaurant, drink Margaritaville brand (frozen!) margaritas made with their Margaritaville margarita makers. And the reason JB was down on the Gulf Coast was that he's opening a multi-million dollar, you guessed it, Margaritaville Hotel! And I've got no problem with JB making his money. Somebody somewhere's gonna be making money off the Margaritaville concept and it might as well be the guy who coined it. I just find it really funny to see all the Parrotheads becoming the very thing that they are making fun of in the music. The "White Sport Coat and Pink Crustacean" Jimmy Buffett would have nothing but contempt for the current legion of Parrotheads.
_________________


 
View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Posts: 196
From: Southeast of Disorder
Posted: 2010-07-02 2:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:
the Parrotheads flock to the nearest Margaritaville restaurant, drink Margaritaville brand (frozen!) margaritas made with their Margaritaville margarita makers



Not this parrothead. This past February in Key West I avoided Margaritaville like the plague. In fact, the only time I was even *on* Duval Street was to get south or to go to the butterfly conservatory. I can't stand the Margaritaville food (garbage), drinks (I have one bottle of tequila for mixing, which is all it's good for, and no frozen concoction machine unless I can get it for much cheaper) or store (I do like the Charleston store, but that's because it's on King Street and doesn't have a bar or restaurant), though I do still go to concerts (but am becoming bored of them as well). I get annoyed with a lot of the parrotheads that don't get it and make a point of avoiding many of them. The music is about escapism, not about getting drunk and puking in the shrubbery. I don't go to the Mai Kai to get plowed, and I don't go to a Buffett concert to get so tanked I don't remember the show.

FWIW, his new album sucks. Make that with a capital Sucks. It's horrible, pandering pap. There are, maybe, two songs that are tolerable, and that's stretching it. Give me A1A, White Sportcoat, Coconut Telegraph and any of the other early stuff, when Jimmy wasn't making music for money instead of making music for himself.

_________________


[ This Message was edited by: phinz 2010-07-02 14:12 ]


 View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation