FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Heads Up!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Heads Up!!!
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-06 9:57 pm   Permalink

My friend Brad Fisher called me up tonight and said that he was getting ready to list his Imperial Luau tiki on E-bay...This is the third tiki from the find, the one he took for co-financing the deal when I tracked the other two to Atlanta and we went and bought them. It's the one in the left background in the photo in the BOT. If I could or would ever be able to afford to own all three I'd be on this like life itself. This is an incredible tiki artifact. As soon as he sends me the item number I'll post it here for my fellow TC members. I just hope it finds the home it deserves...(sigh)

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-07 9:00 pm   Permalink

what page in BOT?

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-07 9:19 pm   Permalink

Here it is.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=2153297045 His is the one in the left background in the BOT picture on page 24.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-07 10:42 pm   Permalink

Another big ticket item for you heavy hitters. Shag original painting "Mr Blue" on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20135&item=935407856&rd=1

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 8:03 pm   Permalink

Kailuageoff was that you? If so I'm glad he's going back to Florida after all these years.

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 8:13 pm   Permalink

Yup, it's a hellova lotta bread but Wahine Marian said I could spend my bonus on it. I'm just really grateful you guys found these. Mahalo.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 8:21 pm   Permalink

Congragulations! That's the coolest that you got it. When Brad said he was selling this I went into a rite panic that it would be lost forever. I keep ours in a climate controlled room with a humidistat (65 percent constant!). You'll love it...they're all amazing. Now if we could only track where (somewhere in California) the other three went....

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-14 9:35 pm   Permalink

Ha! It DID find a good home! ( ...it would have also at Randy's, or my friend Dug's place, the previous two bidders). Sigh of relief!
Geoff, now you have to research the place in Pompano Beach. Congrats my man!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 07:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-14 21:35, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ha! It DID find a good home! ( ...it would have also at Randy's, or my friend Dug's place, the previous two bidders). Sigh of relief!

Geoff, congrats on the acquistion! I'm glad it found a good home in one of us.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 07:34 am   Permalink

Thanx Basement Kahuna and Bigbro. Because I've semi-narrowed my tiki focus to Florida this was way too good to pass up. In fact, I have to admit I was jealous as hell when Kahuna unearthed it.
My mother-in-law lives in Pompano Beach, which is next Mai-Kai land in Ft. Lauderdale, so I'll do what I can to get more data.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoBeTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-01-15 1:06 pm   Permalink

Geoff,

Congratulations on your winning bid! I grew up in Pompano Beach in the 70's and remember the site where I think the Imperial Luau stood. By this time it was a chinese restaurant called Harris Imperial House. My parents took me there a few times. The only thing I remember about it was that it was an all you can eat chinese buffet frequented by retirees and Canadian snowbirds and tourists. No recollection of the decor.

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 5:04 pm   Permalink

BINGO! Here's Bigbro's description from the postcard: bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2002-11-16 09:17, Basement Kahuna wrote:
I'd love to know who the carver was....as elaborate and accurate a "Ku" as it is I am guessing it was an Oceanic Arts job but maybe you (Yoda) have a theory of your own.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I am at a loss there myself, and very fascinated by who did it. There is nothing in all of Oceanic Arts' oeuvre that resembles this style, I have not seen anything like it in American Tiki carving, so I do think in this case they were actually made where the postcard states (full text):

>> HARRIS IMPERIAL "World's Wondrous Dining Palace"
ATA on the Ocean
Pompano Beach, Florida Phone; Whitehall 1-2231

KON-TIKI BAR in the IMPERIAL LOUNGE, Harris' Imperial restaurant....features bar idols imported from Tahiti and extensive wall treatment of imported Cuban stone. Intimate and unique...gathering place of the local and visiting socialites as well as celebrities for the "Imperial Luau" cocktail hour from 4 to 6.
Inspired by....Sam Harris

Color photography by Rey Scott, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. <<

God, I love those original postdcard captions, wish I had had the room for them all. (That's why "Quantity Postcards" is great)

Ku idols made in Tahiti! How kuul!
Go and find me Sam Harris, Mr. Kahuna!

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 5:05 pm   Permalink

Looks like some old yellow pages at the library would easily determine when she closed AND when Sam Harris moved away.

PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 7:00 pm   Permalink

Hey, wasn't Sam Harris that blonde haired guy who sang "Over the Rainbow" on Star Search in the 80's?

Wait a sec...wrong Sam Harris...

Poly-Pop *

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 7:00 pm   Permalink

Hey, wasn't Sam Harris that blonde haired guy who sang "Over the Rainbow" on Star Search in the 80's?

Wait a sec...wrong Sam Harris...

Poly-Pop *

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation