FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Heads Up!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Heads Up!!!
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 08:35 am   Permalink

Hey PolyPop,
Were you one of the bidders on this tiki? If so, mahalo for the graciuos attitude.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 10:06 am   Permalink

Geoff,
I wasn't a bidder on this auction (too rich for my blood) but I'm just happy one of us TC'ers got the tiki. I'm sure anybody who was willing to shell out the cash for that thing is an appreciator of it but, if a non-Tiki Central collector won then it may still disappear into oblivion into their own private collection never to be enjoyed by us again. And in my opinion, that's almost like it was lost.

Many a discussion has been had with the premise "Whatever happened to the tiki from ....." What's great about a TC'er picking up these items is we still get to enjoy them; in posts, visits, etc. Some examples include Aquarj's Lanai Tiki, Basement Kahuan's Imperial Luau Tiki, and now your Imperial Luau Tiki. We know these guys are in good hands.

* * * The Polynesian Popster * * *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-01-16 10:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: polynesianpop on 2003-01-16 15:40 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 2:26 pm   Permalink

Congrats bradda Geoff, I'll have to stop by see it when I'm in Florida! I agree with Poly Pop, it's nice to see TC locals get items like that to share with the group for many years.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-24 2:40 pm   Permalink

Aloha & good mana to you, Basement Kahuna & friend Brad,
The Imperial Luau tiki arrived today in fine shape and is even more impressive than I imagined. The packing job was worthy of the British museum, so thanks for that too.
It was kind of amusing picking it up this morining. First off it's my wife's birthday and do you think I bought her anything that costs this much? No way and I'm in trouble.
Then the guy in our office warehouse calls me and says he wants to know what to do with the two beds they have for me on the loading dock. I had to think about it for a minute before I realized it was the tiki packed in two bed boxes. I told him they were props for a trade show, but I'm not sure if he believed me.
Then, because it is below freezing today in Orlando -- which only happens once per year -- I had the pleasure of transporting the boxes home in our convertible with the top down. Well, let's just say I got some looks.
Next, I get the boxes in the house and the cleaning lady shows up. First of all, she already thinks I'm whacked because of all the freakin mugs and stuff she has to clean around, so when she saw me standing over the two boxes I thought she might just start screaming at me.
Instead, she politely asked what was inside and if she could clean around them. I told her it was a giant tiki from Tahiti and I would have it out of the box in a jiffy and then get out of her way.
After I said it, I realized how weird it must have sounded to her. She took it in stride however, just looking at me and giggling like I had completely lost my mind -- which I probably have -- and then said, "I knew you were home because I saw your car with the top off and your hula girl".
Anyway,I think that pretty much sums up my tiki's arrival in its new home.
Mahalo dudes!

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kentiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-24 2:49 pm   Permalink

KailuaGeoff, that whole experience sounds about normal to me. You should have seen me cringe when a coworker poked at my plasma moai! Hands off!

Congratulations on the tiki. He's in good hands.

BULA!

View Profile of Kentiki Send a personal message to Kentiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-24 3:34 pm   Permalink

Exactly Kentiki...
Just like the natives of old Polynesia, our obsession has no shame.

aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-01-24 7:35 pm   Permalink

Hey Kailuageoff,
I meant to toss in a congrats too, as I was the bidder you topped on that auction. I guess that means in some ways I cost you a few hundred bucks - sorry about that. Or in the "glass half full" version, maybe I should thank you for saving me a big chunk of dough! Fun hearing your story about getting the tiki and taking it home. Maybe someday I'll see it in person! Best,

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-25 10:24 pm   Permalink

Glad you like! That's a hell of a tiki, isn't it? Glad to know that Brad got it there in one piece, too!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation