FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Zombie Village, Oakland, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Zombie Village, Oakland, CA (restaurant)
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-23 2:19 pm   Permalink

Name:Zombie Village
Type:restaurant
Street:5485 San Pablo at 65th Street
City:Oakland
State:CA
Zip:94608
Phone:

Description:
Part of Skipper Kent's restaurants.

A menu mailer:

In an effort to get more information online about the many long gone tiki locations, I have started this thread. I would like to see a thread on every location here. Please add the images of the mugs and menus you have and the information you have about this place.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-26 2:10 pm   Permalink

Isn't that what Humu's Critiki is set up for?

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-26 4:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-26 14:10, ZuluMagoo wrote:
Isn't that what Humu's Critiki is set up for?

Not really. There is no way to post any information there. Beyond an address and uploaded images, nothing can be added. And any places not in critiki can't be added by users either. It would be nice to have some history and a place for those who have memories of a location to add their knowledge. A sort of tiki-wiki. Here on Tiki Central, everyone can add anything they know or ask questions. Critiki has a link to track down that information here if you go there first. The two are linked, but only here can there be conversation, and a group input on a subject.

If that happens here and then gets incorporated into Critiki, that would be good. But, the information has to come fom somewhere.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2006-12-26 4:39 pm   Permalink

don't forget to look at Puamana's Swag at Arkiva Tropika. it's her personal collection of menus and such ~ not all of it has been uploaded yet, but i've noticed when TC talks about a place, magically photos appear!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-26 5:16 pm   Permalink

a slightly different version of the menu:
- stolen from mike's tikiroom site -

this is what it says:
Escape to Romance
Let us escape...for an hour or so...
Just an hour or so, to a place that I know
Away from the rush of this clamorous shrill age
To the tropical charms of unique Zombie Village.
A door leads us through to mysterious vistas where lures for our senses contrive to assist us in throwing off ... such flavors and savors so skillfully blended that you sigh with regret as each viand is ended.
There are drinks that are mixed by the son of a wizard to moisten your whistle and tickle your gizzard... luscious concoctions as mild as a zephyr, concealing a jolt like the kick of a heifer; drinks that are smooth as the touch of white satin, persuasive and suave as the love of a Latin.
The lights and the shadows conceal the deft schemings to set your thoughts drifting and get your heart dreaming... of tropical moons and of swift flying fishes, of little grass houses on Islands of Wishes.

-Don Blanding

the coveted mug -- image stolen from kono -- thanks!

typical 3 faced bucket mug

the shakers

different version of matchbook

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-27 06:57 am   Permalink

I love that mug! That's one of those that fly under the radar of the average antique maller. If it does not say "Zombie Village" on it, you'd have a tough time finding it on Ebay too. A really unique graphic.

The menu I posted is just the size of a large postcard and was meant to be mailed. Many places did this in the day. Daddy Donn Beach had his drinks made into postcards, along with the menus and regular picture cards. Did he start this menu mailing as well? That would be hard to prove.

Maybe instead of saying "image stolen from XXXX" we should make it a habit of linking to the site. "Image coutesy of
www.thissite.com" That's giving credit more properly.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-27 07:38 am   Permalink

Yes, that's a beautiful mug, and from what little info I can gather, it's right up there with the Ren Clark Severed Head and the Trader Vic's tiki stemware in terms of what collectors are willing to pay for it.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-28 5:26 pm   Permalink

It would be interesting to find out more about Frank Kent, the proprietor of Zombie Village and Skipper Kent's. The mini menu bio on Page 153 of the BOT gives us a little info, and we know that he passed away, since a while back objects from his estate (among them a one of a kind Ku bowl!) were sold off by an S.F. auction house.

But when did Zombie Village open, and when did it close? And was it really a copy cat operation of the original Trader Vic's in Oakland, as its address being caddy-corner from "Hinky Dink's" suggests?

AND will we ever see a full shot of the glorious "Cocktails of the Islands Map" mural that apparently graced the wall of the bar at Skipper Kent's (BOT p. 161)!?
That unique variation on the Covarrubias map was only ever used in the Mauna Loa Mexico cocktail menu: Every island group was identified by their own cocktail, instead of a carving.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-28 6:18 pm   Permalink

How many tiki/tropical bars used to be on San Pablo???

Someone told me lots, I think.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-01-02 1:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-28 18:18, RevBambooBen wrote:
How many tiki/tropical bars used to be on San Pablo???

Sven: One of the older bartenders at Trader Vic's Emeryville (who used to only work one night a week) told me that the Zombie Hut was gutted by a fire some time in the 1960s but I don't know the exact year. I think I need to get over to the Oakland library and do some research.

There's a film noir from 1950 called "Where Danger Lives" that shows a South Seas bar on a street in Oakland that may very well be on San Pablo Ave. More info in the first post here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=51&forum=1

Here's a fascinating article about San Pablo Avenue's thriving music and burlesque scenes in the 30s through the 50s:
http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/ca/traveler/2001-03/highway_nostalgia.html

Quote:
In addition to the Hollywood Club/Hambone Kelly's, there was the It Club, Hotsy Totsy Bar, Kona Club, and Six Belles and the Wagon Wheel - perhaps the wildest of them all. A few miles east along San Pablo Avenue was the home of Don Churchill's western band that vied with the popular Dude Martin.

[Ed.: Other clubs along San Pablo Avenue shown in a late 1940s phone book include Alvarado Garden, Backstage, Club Pablo, Club Thunderbird, Jungle Inn, Kountry Inn, Todds Club, and Miami Club.]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 2:06 pm   Permalink

i have the mailer menu in beautiful shape. i can't believe how bright those inks are. i also have this mug. it pops up on ebay every now and then.

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2007-01-02 14:07 ]

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 12:53 pm   Permalink

Up till very recently, both sites of ZV and TV's were empty lots. Now there's a hideous condo complex on the site of ZV. TV's is still an empty lot with two Palm Trees out front - photo posted below.

One question that has plagued me for years is, why would Skipper Kent choose to create/ open a Tiki bar DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET from Trader Vics???

Ole Bergeron sure had it tough!! First his bartender opens Tiki Bob's within walking distance from TV's SF, then Kent opens Zombie Village - a super duper Tiki bar experience complete with a lagoon and boat rides around the property - across the street from TV's Oakland!!

Was this a result of some sort of fued?
Mmm, Zombie Village was destroyed by fire, hey??

Any Bergeron/ Tiki expert out there with an explanation??

The most famous intersection in Oakland Tiki history

TV's Oakland as it stands today

[ This Message was edited by: Conga Mike 2007-01-06 13:03 ]

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 06:22 am   Permalink

If those Palm trees could talk...they can be seen on two different renderings of the place, the one in the BOT (which is cut off on the right and shows only one), and an older line drawing on a mini menu (I once had but lost). If someone has that, can they please post a scan of it? The original rendering for that, which I always coveted, hangs framed in the Emeryville Vic's.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-01-07 06:25 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-08 7:47 pm   Permalink

Whenever there is a mug that Dan can't seem to find he asks me to make one for him. I took a photo of the Zombie mug and a photo of the card and made a 3D version of the mug for him. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 06:11 am   Permalink

Wendy, that is even better than the real thing! Creepy to the max!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation