[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving need idea's for newcarving shop
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
need idea's for newcarving shop
doctiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-12-23 6:40 pm   Permalink

Just sold my home here in Las Vegas, moving to Sequim, Wash., near Settle. Will be building a carving shop to make my Tikis and hand carved canes. Just retired from almost 18 years driving forklift, trucks and being dispatcher for delivertrucks for the same campany. Need a good idea for the height of a worktable,this well be the center workstation . I plan to start using real tree trunks, instead of sq.wood (beam cutoffs). Any ideas on workbench well greatly apreashed Doc Tiki.

View Profile of doctiki Send a personal message to doctiki  Email doctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-23 6:58 pm   Permalink

Doc, not sure if there is a standard height but go with whatever is easiest on the back. There is talk in some post on here about taking 2 short sections of log [maybe a foot or more in diam.] and turning them up on end like 2 giant beer cans.Then cut a V notch in each one. You use this to hold round logs while carving. Not sure how to find it on the "search" function.Best of luck in your new endeavor. Any pictures on line of those canes?

[ This Message was edited by: saxotica 2006-12-23 18:59 ]

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-23 7:08 pm   Permalink

This will depend on your height. If you google search it, you might be able to find some OH&S guidelines for workbench height.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-23 7:18 pm   Permalink

I have 2 benches - one US Govt maple top bench is 33 inches. But I'm 6'4" so I made a taller bench - 40 inches. I also have a Black & Decker Workmate piece of crap and it is about 30 inches. I use all three for carving sometimes. It depends on the size of the piece I am working on.

The shop will need a floor drain obviously

A shop also needs lots of electricity. A strong fan and dust control system would be real nice too.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
doctiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-12-24 10:35 am   Permalink

Saxotica, Hewey, Tikigap
Thank you, lots of power, check, dust control,check,and floor drain?:-? . My wife says that I'm a caveman when it comes to the pc, so what is OH&S? I'll post pictures after I'm settled in Sequim,living out of a motel. well leave here on Dec 26.
Doc Tiki

View Profile of doctiki Send a personal message to doctiki  Email doctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-24 11:01 am   Permalink

I'm guessing that OH&S is Occupational Health & Safety.
Ever heard of OSHA? They got a lotta "guidelines". Whatever you do good luck and be safe!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-24 11:14 am   Permalink

If the GOV specs something, you can be sure it isn't what you need. I say make a temporary work surface and use it at different levels - once you find what works for you, make it that height permanently. Additionally, I do different work at different heights and could not be limited to one bench unless it was very adjustable.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-26 11:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-24 10:35, doctiki wrote:
Saxotica, Hewey, Tikigap
Thank you, lots of power, check, dust control,check,and floor drain?:-? . My wife says that I'm a caveman when it comes to the pc, so what is OH&S? I'll post pictures after I'm settled in Sequim,living out of a motel. well leave here on Dec 26.
Doc Tiki

Sequim = brrreautiful! Been there. Loved it.

The Floor drain would be so you don't have to leave the shop very often, especially if you rent beer, (which most people do).

OH&S is what 8ft said. It's Hewey-land's OSHA.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-26 6:49 pm   Permalink

Gmans suggestion on multiple height workbenchs sounds tops.

and I also like plenty of fleuoros when Im working too

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Stiki Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-26 10:05 pm   Permalink

Hi DocTiki, I'm new to the Seattle area myself, welcome! I saw a post a while back where someone used 4 wheels like from a toolbox on each corner, use 2 that have the wheel lock's to keep the log from spinning, have been wanting to build 1 myself. If you're ever over Whidbey island way give me a holler and stop by my bar for a drink, or if ya need a fishing buddy!
~Stiki Tiki

View Profile of Stiki Tiki Send a personal message to Stiki Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-26 10:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-24 11:14, GMAN wrote: you can be sure it isn't what you need. I say make a temporary work surface and use it at different levels - once you find what works for you, make it that height permanently. Additionally, I do different work at different heights and could not be limited to one bench unless it was very adjustable.

-Gman

CHEERs Gman!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-27 3:10 pm   Permalink

Don't do this!

Leads to sore knees and back.

Not to mention its friggin cold.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-27 9:45 pm   Permalink

This is my carving set-up.
It may be what Stiki Tiki was thinking of.

I just attach the casters to whatever sawhorse happens to be needed at the time.
It works for me and I hope it helps you.

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-28 07:02 am   Permalink

Ot's sort of a different perspective but Roger Welsh who is a CBS journalist, and sort of a mid-west humorist has a series of books out where he refurbishs old tractors. He admits to being an terrible mechanic, but is very into the slow methodical process of working in his shop on projects.

In his books he has segments on shop ideas which because hes a novice mechanic, but a good writer are really clever.

A close at hand refferance library, made of xerox'd copies of originals with plastic covered pages in a binder (dirt and grease) is a feature he frequently mentions.

Another is a wood stove that he fills with oily rags, wood pieces, grease, old paper, when he's finished working each session...so if it does ignite, it burns in a safe place. (He usually lights a fire an hour or so before he starts working in winter so it's not so uncomfortable)

Sounds like a fantastic and fun project, building a shop!

Good luck.

Heath, I love that idea of the Sawhorse Casters for odd shapes, I hope you don't mind if I make something similar for my megre carving projects.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-28 08:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-27 21:45, Heath wrote:
I just attach the casters to whatever sawhorse happens to be needed at the time.
It works for me and I hope it helps you.

I just got my casters last week. Dixieline Lumber happens to have many styles half off. I think I should have gotten bigger ones.

The casters are NOT for odd shapes. They are for round shapes.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation