FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tapa, now what?
Tapa, now what?
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-23 9:57 pm   Permalink

I acquired to largish tapas. They seem to be somewhat new. 30ish years. Not that I would ever be able to age a tapa.

One is about 8'x 10' and the other is about 10'x10'. I have never noticed animals (or never paid attention to them) on tapas (here on TC) before.

One of them has quite a bit a blink space on one edge. Should I consider cutting that portion off and learning the art of art. Or use that edge to drape over somethin or other and show off the the professional work.

Right now they really can only go on the ceiling. That would be a spring poject.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-23 10:04 pm   Permalink

That second one is a very common pattern. Feel free to trim off the blank areas, If you are worrying about ruining it or something, don't.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 1:04 pm   Permalink

bring it to my house and we can make about 6 or so lamps from it.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 7:03 pm   Permalink

Tongan?
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 9:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-02 19:03, Tiki Royale wrote:
Tongan?

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-17 17:46 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 9:57 pm   Permalink

Definitely Tongan, particularly the birds, insignia and trees on the second. Samoan (siapo) and Fijian Tapa is almost always composed of tightly packed geometric motifs and has very little open space. We have a pretty big Tongan community here (possibly more than in Tonga) and this stuff is very common.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 02:11 am   Permalink

The second is definately Tongan, I have a piece with a very similar design which was made for the Kings 75th birthday, birds ,lions and the Kings coat of arms, which it looks like may be on the far left of yours.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 09:41 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info and replies everyone.

I was considering lamps, but I am concerned that cutting them would lead to the bad mana.

I do know there is a bad tear in the Tongan someplace.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 5:18 pm   Permalink

After nearly having a heart attack by making a typo on ebay I have learned that the very same Tongan tapa that I have will currently have winning bid of $43. Their highest bidder's bid is about $169.00. Sorry bidder.

I need a drink BADLY. My heart is in my throat and my stomach is in my shorts.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-01-04 17:27 ]

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation