FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Dobb's House Luau - Memphis, Memphis, TN (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Dobb's House Luau - Memphis, Memphis, TN (restaurant)
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-16 12:23 pm   Permalink

Here's another menu..............

According to the back of the menu they had locations in..........

Charlotte, N.C.
Birmingham, Alabama
Dallas, Texas
Louisville, Kentucky
Memphis, Tennesee

Enjoy,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2007-01-16 12:24 ]

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 6:47 pm   Permalink

Another menu from the Dobbs House Luau, dated 1966:

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 5:19 pm   Permalink

I have a couple of additional postcards from the Dobb's House Luau Polynesian Restaurants. Swanky got me started looking for these some time ago, as they are one of his favorites being a southern gentleman and all.

This first one is actually from the Dobb's House Luau in Atlanta Georgia.

The next postcard does not say what City it is from but lists the following Cities on the back: Birmingham, Charlotte, Dallas, Louisville, and Memphis. Does anybody recognize this interior from one of those five locations?

The last one is a souvenir menu the size of a postcard. The cool thing about this one is that it a full 8-page menu. You can see that they added a few restaurants on this one compared to the previous postcard.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 7:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

The next postcard does not say what City it is from but lists the following Cities on the back: Birmingham, Charlotte, Dallas, Louisville, and Memphis. Does anybody recognize this interior from one of those five locations?

This is the card from the Memphis, Tennessee location. There was one listed not too long ago and I missed out on it. Nice cards!! Keep them coming! You have an awesome collection Dustycajun!! Thank you for sharing!

Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 8:26 pm   Permalink

I like the way the menu illustrations are so clearly drawn from the postcard setting, including the design of the two Tikis. They must have been really proud of their installation.

Dan, did you get my e-mail I sent to your website today?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 9:00 pm   Permalink

I will be in Memphis to visit my uncle. You all know him I think. His name is Elvis and he's sorta heavy set. I'll try my best to make it to this restaurant and let everyone know.

View Profile of Tikitatt Send a personal message to Tikitatt  Email Tikitatt Goto the website of Tikitatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 9:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:
"I like the way the menu illustrations are so clearly drawn from the postcard setting, including the design of the two Tikis. They must have been really proud of their installation.

Dan, did you get my e-mail I sent to your website today?" Quote

Yeh, those menu covers are simple and look good. It doesn't take alot of pictures and bright colors to look realy cool! Using their own logo tiki's is really a good idea. It also helps us out with authenticity!

Yes Bigbro, thank you! I am PM'ing you! Mahalo, Dan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 10:59 pm   Permalink

Taboo Dan,

Thanks much for the info on the location of the Memphis Dobb's Luau card. Swanky got that one on ebay a while back but I got lucky and scored one on a second chance offer, as the seller had two!

That postcard menu also has nice illustrations inside, I will try to post one or two sometime.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 06:22 am   Permalink

The Atlanta Luau is a rare one. That was the original. The Dinkler Luau. Was an extremely popular place when it opened. 1959 I think. Won a lot of awards and was the celeb hangout as were many a tiki bar. Carling Dinkler owned many large southern hotels and this was his secret dream. He opened the Luau in Atlanta, designed by the guys who designed the Superdome in New Orleans, and it went over huge. He sold it a couple of years later to the Dobb's family for a large profit. They copied it, sort of, all over the country in their airline catering businesses retail versions.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 1:54 pm   Permalink

Here is a postcard menu in my collection with a great little note attached to the inside. I'm thinking these may have been left in area hotel rooms to drum up some business. I agree with Bigbro about the pride in place as shown by the quality of the small menu.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2008-04-11 13:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2008-04-11 13:55 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-14 2:44 pm   Permalink

I recently picked up another menu from the Dobb's House Luau. It is a little beat up but has some great graphics.

The cover

The drinks

I have never seen the "taboo" mug before. Does anyone on TC have one of these?

DC

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-14 3:23 pm   Permalink

That's the glass used as the Voodoo Grog glass by Trader Vic's. It was made by the Imperial Glass company as were the Starboard and Port Light glasses and the Gun Club Punch, here as the Bang Bang.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
michmoore

Posted: 2008-11-22 6:18 pm   Permalink

I am a newbie in memphis and discovered a few articles that might be of interest. They are a http://www.memphismagazine.com/askvanceblog/?p=81 and http://www.memphismagazine.com/gyrobase/Magazine/Content?oid=oid:42575. I will try and do some research in the next month when i get a free day to look at the newspaper morgue at the library.

View Profile of michmoore Send a personal message to michmoore      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-22 7:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the link. Corrected the second one.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 10:42 am   Permalink

Swanky,

Check this out. Found some ads for the Dobb's Luau in Atlanta as I was looking for info on Trader Eng's.

What is really interesting is the restaurant changed names from the Luau to the "Tiki" in 1962. I don't think I ever heard of that switch before and I have never seen any paper from the Tiki.

This is an amazing rendering of the front of the re-branded Tiki restaurant.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation