FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Dobb's House Luau - Memphis, Memphis, TN (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Dobb's House Luau - Memphis, Memphis, TN (restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 12:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-09 10:42, Dustycajun wrote:
Swanky,

Check this out. Found some ads for the Dobb's Luau in Atlanta as I was looking for info on Trader Eng's.

What is really interesting is the restaurant changed names from the Luau to the "Tiki" in 1962. I don't think I ever heard of that switch before and I have never seen any paper from the Tiki.

This is an amazing rendering of the front of the re-branded Tiki restaurant.

DC

Well I'll be an uncle's monkey! Great stuff, Dustycajun. Or should we call you Smokeycajun now? (Probably not such a funny joke for those affected by the Santa Barbara fires)

SPECK-tac-ularr paper ephemera. On many levels. How can the Pre-Tiki/Tiki period theory be better proven then by a "LUAU" being re-named "TIKI"! And the cool type face. And the Witco dancer/Bongo player behind the queen's chair. And the T-Bird! I NEED that ad! I have a whole Ford double or 4 page planned for The Loook of Tiki!

And for the first time, though I had seen that lil' rendering of the building a long time ago, did I realize the similarity between the Atlanta Luau entrance hut shape, and the Miami Luau one! Coincidence? Connected?

(I added DC's complete post to the top so mine makes sense)

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-05-09 12:05 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 12:09 pm   Permalink

I am still aglow by all this! Give me a time machine NOW!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
michmoore

Posted: 2009-06-27 8:13 pm   Permalink

Check out a new article on the Dobb House in the local free paper. It is about what happened to the giant easter island head that was located at the entrance.memphis flyer article

View Profile of michmoore Send a personal message to michmoore      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-29 09:34 am   Permalink

Thanks for the link. Posting the pic here for posterity. I had heard about this statue for years. Good to see a picture finally.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 9:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-09 10:42, Dustycajun wrote:
What is really interesting is the restaurant changed names from the Luau to the "Tiki" in 1962. I don't think I ever heard of that switch before and I have never seen any paper from the Tiki.

Matchbook

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 9:35 pm   Permalink

Kate,

Nice one. I was looking at my matchbooks tonight and darned if mine doesn't say Tiki on it too! Is there one that says Luau?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 9:41 pm   Permalink

Yes.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 10:14 pm   Permalink

I wonder if Elvis ever considered going here. It was literally 15 minutes away from Graceland.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 11:42 pm   Permalink

Kate,

Nice to see them both. Right up there with your DTB Santa Barbara collection!

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-10-30 23:45 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-14 12:54 pm   Permalink

Here is some NEW information on the Dobb's Luau chain.

We have seen that there was listing for a Louisville, Kentucky location on the menus. I have never seen anything from this location - until now. Saw this matchbook on ebay for the Luau Room and did not think much of it. After looking at that familiar double torch logo and Luau font it hit me, this was a Dobb's restaurant! It was a bar located at the Standiford Field airport. Dobb's had several airport bars and restaurants.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-01-14 12:55 ]

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-15 09:27 am   Permalink

I saw that matchbook and assumed it was for the Luau Room, which is sort of still there and being parted out on Ebay from time to time. I can't imagine there were 2 Luau Rooms there. I see that it started at the airport and moved elsewhere.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2010-01-15 09:28 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-16 05:59 am   Permalink

I think the matchbook is most likely from the Luau Room. If I remember right it was located very near the airport. In the thread about the Luau Room I posted a rocks glass from the restaurant with a design and font hijacked from the Dobb's menu. Not a very long stretch to think that they also used the twin torch design as well. The glass and menu comparison are on pages three ant four of the link below.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3830&forum=1

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-18 3:38 pm   Permalink

Well this is getting real interesting. After rereading the thread and locking at all of the menus and postcards I count no less than ten locations for Dobbs House Polynesian Restaurants.

Charlotte NC
Dallas TX
Houston TX
Louisville KY
Lexington KY
Memphis TN
Atlanta GA
Miami FL
Orlando FL
Birmingham AL

All of the menus on the thread have different locations listed as do the postcards. Was this wishful thinking by the management or were there really ten Dobbs House Polynesian Restaurant locations? The scan is the back of my small menu from the Memphis Location and I think it dates from the early 60's judging from the prices.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-19 09:28 am   Permalink

Maybe they threw a big umbrella and those were Dobb's House other restaurant locations too. I can only say for sure abotu Louisville, Memphis Atlanta and Dallas.

I just got a postcard of the interior of the Atlanta location. I need to scan it and post it.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-19 09:33 am   Permalink

Oh, and btw, there are a trio of Mint Julep Kentucky Derby glasses dated 1975 on Ebay with "Luau Room" on them. May tell us it was in operation at least at that date.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation