FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What are your favorite bartenders books?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What are your favorite bartenders books?
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-21 01:29 am   Permalink

Esquire's Handbook for Hosts.
New Enlarged Edition, 1953.
Mandatory.
Commonly seen used for $2 to $12.

Savoy Cocktail Book, 1930.
Reprinted several times, I have (and like) the 1983 edition, which looks deco-era-meets-1980s. Great trove of classic recipes.

Tropical Bar Book Drinks and Stories, Charles Schumann.
Bartender at the astounding Pegu Club in Manhattan got me hep to this one. Although the design is a little bit "Buffet in the pastel 1980s", I like this book because it goes into all of the different mixers and ingredients and discusses how they're all made and which ones compliment each other.

I also have to go with Ted Haigh's Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails.

And of course, Jeff Berry's books, and any of the handful of Trader Vic's books.

Finally, I hate to disagree with Pirate's very first posting here (welcome, BTW!), but I don't like Adam Rocke's books at all. Of course I adore Shag's contributions, but I think Rocke's books are poorly researched and his recipes are typically pretty awful.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-21 3:23 pm   Permalink

I've only ever used "The Bartender's Black Book", "Grog Log", "Intoxica" and one by Old Mr. Boston from years gone by. What a sheltered life I've led.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Bamboo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-22 07:32 am   Permalink

I'll also chime in with my support for Ted Haigh's "Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails". My mother-in-law got it for me for Christmas a year ago (Who says mothers-in-law are all bad??), and it's fantastic.

I'd also recommend taking a chance on "The Ultimate Book of Cocktails" by Stuart Walton. I picked it up from a Borders clearance rack for $3.99.

However, a warning is in order regarding this book. Despite being a large, well-designed book with lots of beautiful photographs, many of the recipes are of *extremely* dubious accuracy (the Mai Tai for example, is a travesty).

So why would you possibly want it then? Because the first 100 pages are a wonderful overview of almost every kind of spirit available...even obscure ones. This reference section alone is worth the price of the book.

My advice would be to buy this book at a discount and ignore the recipe section entirely. The real value is it's comprehensive liquor guide.

View Profile of Dr. Bamboo Send a personal message to Dr. Bamboo  Goto the website of Dr. Bamboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation