FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Discussion on the "objectives" of tiki art�
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Discussion on the "objectives" of tiki art�
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-26 10:11 pm   Permalink

Piss Ku!!!

Awesome!!!

( figuring out art, is worse than politics and religion )

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-27 09:48 am   Permalink

Really, Ben....How crass!
If that was a real "clean catch", I would be in the ER as we speak...It's supposed to be Rum, but that would be Disrespectful! ( to those of us who drink religiously).It's Tea! just Tea, I say! And it's NOT art Or Craft, it's just a little silliness to spice up a bump!

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-28 09:14 am   Permalink

here's something else that's been buggin' me about art...
How "good" does it have to be before artists, or craftspeople, or creators, feel confident enough to give their work to the world?

Some of the coolest stuff has come out of the 2009 art swap, and yet we still hear some self-depreciating down talk by some of the great participants.
Isn't it one of the most important parts of the art community to encourage people to create, and develop their talents?

If you don't make stuff, you don't grow!

There Is great value in the doing.

Sure we may, or may not love all of it, but that's not the point....It took me along time to understand that the creative process is it's own reward (and therapy) and art is like children...you birth an idea, give it form and substance, and then send it out into the world to live it's own life, whether it winds up in a garage sale, or the Louvre!
There is so much Judgment in the world,angry and hurtfull words, and reasons to want to hide our Light...
Can we find a way to create a "safe haven" for Tiki, and other kinds of creativity?

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-06-28 15:35 ]

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-28 4:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the nice responses to my deep thought posting (in horrible primitive English...I'm sorry about that..), it was my first time ever on the internet, it's scary... and so far i thought i better not... but sometimes i just can't help myself... i'm here mostly for the doing, more than the thinking, because i think a lot and i don't do so much, so here i found the perfect place to get inspired about doing, doing, doing, that is a great way of living and a great way to build "your own paradise"...

[quote]
On 2009-06-28 09:14, palapala wrote:
here's something else that's been buggin' me about art...
How "good" does it have to be before artists, or craftspeople, or creators, feel confident enough to give their work to the world?
[quote]
It doesn't have to be good , it has to be authentic, if you did your best and you are happy, that's enough...

[quote]
Some of the coolest stuff has come out of the 2009 art swap, and yet we still hear some self-depreciating down talk by some of the great participants.
Isn't it one of the most important parts of the art community to encourage people to create, and develop their talents?
[quote]
The swaps are particularly intimidating because is not that you are going to finish something and then if someone likes it they will buy it or not, in this case your work goes to someone that may or may not like it, so, it's more scary than just doing your thing and see who likes it...

[quote]
and art is like children...you birth an idea, give it form and substance, and then send it out into the world to live it's own life, whether it winds up in a garage sale, or the Louvre!
[quote]
I hate this part! it's hard for me to let go!

[quote]
There is so much Judgment in the world,angry and hurtfull words, and reasons to want to hide our Light...
Can we find a way to create a "safe haven" for Tiki, and other kinds of creativity?
[quote]
I hope so!

I'll go back to my cave now, I promise

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-28 9:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

in these parts
we call that "fishing for compliments"

and if you ain't Swappin
you gots 2-3 days to make something!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-02 4:05 pm   Permalink

No one has stirred this pot for a few days so I'll give it a rattle.

I've never taken an Art History class but it seems to me that for 4,000 years, the purpose of art was to capture beauty; the perfect sunset, the perfect basket of fruit, the perfect female form. Political statement was relegated to crudely drawn political cartoons. Then somewhere, about 100-150 years ago, art started to attract troubled souls who want to sell us their pain and their political views. Maybe it was the advent of photography that made the art of capturing beauty obsolete and art had to re-invent itself to survive?

So far, the subject of this discussion has been the visual arts. What about music? Like Tiki visual art, Tiki audio art is largely exotic and happy. To me personally, music is a much better mood transporter. I frequently get a lump in my throat listening to certain songs, I can't remember that ever happening to me when I looked at a painting. If we need thought-provoking Tiki art, don't we also need Tikiyaki to play songs about the plight of primitive and aboriginal societies. What about a country song about a guy who spends all his money building the perfect home Tiki bar for his wife, only to have her leave him because she wanted a Jimmy Buffett Parrothead bar

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 10:12 pm   Permalink

Hey Mike,
I can understand that everyone has certain things that prompt them and their emotions. I have to tell you though, that standing in the Van Gogh exhibit in LA in 1994 I was moved to tears throughout the exhibit. Knowing about the art and his life and then seeing his work right there in front of my eyes! It was overwhelming! Music and art - all kinds of art - is meant to evoke a response. Joy, happiness, elation, introspection, thoughtfullness are all part of that. So you do understand the feelings that art gives to people! But it's not always happy feelings, it can also be pain and sorrow. it can be any human emotion or idea.

Retro Modern Wahine......Kiki von Tiki on etsy

[ This Message was edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-07-02 22:21 ]

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 11:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-02 16:05, MadDogMike wrote:

I've never taken an Art History class

Brudda Mike, you should...also maybe an art appreciation course, if you can find a good one. There are so "many" doors that are going to open for you and many others here with a little art research. Art tells us who we were, it defines who we are, it helps us get to where we are going...I try my best to live every moment of every day in Art. Art = Life for me.

Little Lost Tiki said earlier on in this thread that defining, and/or defending a position, etc. on the Art vs Craft topic is a monumental undertaking that takes a huge amount time. He is sooo right. This is what has kept me from posting my views here. As much as I have wanted to, I just haven't had the time to dive into this mondo topic.

As a student of the visual arts, this Art vs Craft question is one of the first questions posed to us, and it is one of the last questions still on the table when we leave our educational arenas. In the end, I personally have had to blaze my own trail with my thoughts on this matter, and I have made damn sure to leave open a door to which I can change my mind if I choose.

Good art to me reads like a book. When I can look at a work and it captures my thoughts...when it takes me in a direction that is beyond it's mere existence...good art for me almost seems to breathe it says so much. I can go on and on about this, but not tonight...I "have" to get back in my studio and the deadlines I have made for myself.

I would like to say a couple of words, however, about this Revival of ours for which I am so fascinated by...

Basically I see a new movement whose foundation is based on imitating, imitation...with that, throw in Escapism ,booze and a boiling pot of different cultures and changing ideas, and you got a home run. It's a very exciting time right now! What used to be considered kitchy - the give away cheap mugs, the restaurant/bar decor has now gotten to be very collectible. With this, the caliber of the craft from artists has gotten better...we have moved more from Kitch to more of a "Camp" mentality (some of you may have to look that up ).

Anyway, I will try to dive more into this later, but really, I have castings to clean right now...laters...we have lots of time and space to play thanks to TC.

"Speaking on Time and Space...Time was invented so that we can change our minds...Space was invented so that we can dance!"

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 06:40 am   Permalink

It's about time, it's about space,
About two men in the strangest place.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-10 3:51 pm   Permalink

Way to sink the thread,Bill!

Well,it's been awhile.....
let's hear some more idiotic responses!
i need a good laugh!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-10 6:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-10 15:51, little lost tiki wrote:
Way to sink the thread,Bill!

<sigh> nobody gets me.

Not my first time, Kin!
On to the next one!!!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 08:01 am   Permalink

WOW!! HEAVY STUFF here!! But some really thoughtful mind exercise on "art". My VERY broad feeling as to any art...music, written, visual...or food prepared with passion by my Mom...is that to pin down it's value is like trying to pick up a droplet of mercury with a pair of chopsticks (I admit I tried it as a kid too) It will resist being captured as ONE absolute...always, no matter how passionately it is debated through time.

My career has always been supported by my "art"...as a designer, painter, amateur chef or couch guitar player. I have had many praises and many "pu pu er's" as well. Putting your art out there to be "judged" as it is mentioned here can be very tough..at least at first. I recall being at Art Center College of Design..busting my "aesthetics" in a school which was known as the "Marine Corps" of Design Schools. We always had to put our work up on huge sterile, white critique boards and receive tid bits of praise or screamed out ridicule by the professors and fellow students. Some out write cried..some rose to the challenge..some quit after less than a semester.Some endured, learned and grew to be incredible artists. In the end though, you find that you have to have this place of peace and enjoyment that comes from NO ONE other than your own inspirations and fascinations. This is where you will always recharge that little kid in you..that drives you to make cool stuff!

Good art is no one thing..it's not to capture beauty..its to say something..to have a "voice" and unique perception that comes ONLY from you. Some, or many may relate to you..others will be clueless. But this is what is so great about being around other artists for me. I truly enjoy any level of art...and really learn from every fellow artist, "professional", hobbyist...and so on. Art is, for me, opening ones mind to feeling and interpreting the endless data thrown at us through our life in refreshingly new ways.

Anyway...this was a great thread to tap away to as my morning coffee soaked into my veins. I truly savor all the artists on TC and the Tiki community greatly...and can't wait to see even more let go and express their passions artistically. Art is and always will be redefining itself based on how we choose to experience it. What better way to say this than one of my favourite quotes from Blake, If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it truly is - infinite.

Aloha! See Ya at OASIS!!

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n Pharaoh
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-11 08:37 am   Permalink

When I first read this post , I vowed not to get invloved , but alas the rum is ripe.

For me the objectives of doing tiki stuff is to prevent me from doing more destructive creations , humanities struggle for understanding has just lead to inherent destruction. take for example some great inventors of their day , Richard gatling ...thought by automating warfare a reduction in lives would be the result. or the creators of the atom bomb similar deal. Tesla thought the same with his electronic transmission devices. As a student of engineering I would not want to invent or develop a device that would automatically be adapted for use in warfare or some other gluttonous pursuit ...so I thought for now ...If I make tiki ...no one will ever say "TIKI Incoming Four O'Clock" except perhaps captain cooked!

check out my other ramblings at:
http://www.myspace.com/7741458

View Profile of Cap'n Pharaoh Send a personal message to Cap'n Pharaoh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation