FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Balinese Room, Galveston, TX (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Balinese Room, Galveston, TX (restaurant)
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-09 09:05 am   Permalink

What's really maddening is that the Balinese survived quite a few hurricanes much more powerful that Ike. But they were fast-moving. Ike just sat there, pounding Galveston for hours and hours. They'd just completed a significant restoration less than a decade before. We drove by the place every time in Galveston, but never stopped despite intentions to do so.

Thanks for the link above. Great stuff!
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-04-09 4:55 pm   Permalink

Yes, Ike was certainly a force to be reckoned with. After making landfall, it eventually cut a path through northern Arkansas. Although it was no longer a hurricane, it caused immense damage. Personally, we lost seven old oak trees including one that crashed into our kitchen.

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-01 10:28 am   Permalink

My grandfather was one of the members spoken of in the original post who used to go gambling at the Balinese. He used to tell stories of the enforcement raids. We used to drive by the Balinese all the time and when I watched the news the morning after Ike and saw the storm had done I was devastated. The Balinese, The Flagship Hotel and SeaArama Marineworld were all icons of my childhood and all are gone now. Two wrecked from the storm and one destroyed by time and neglect.

[ This Message was edited by: phinz 2018-06-01 10:29 ]

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation