FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Willows, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
The Willows, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-30 01:31 am   Permalink

Name: The Willows
Type:restaurant
Street:901 Hausten Street
City:Honolulu
State:HI
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
We had dinner here about three years ago and much of the tiki decor is gone such as the floats and some of the thatch after a remodel. It is still worth seeing if you are in Honolulu.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-30 01:35 am   Permalink

Life is a state of mind

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-30 04:25 am   Permalink

That place is still there? It looks cool as hell. Too bad they got rid of the thatch and tikis though

I will still check it out on my next trip to da islands!

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big kahuna59

Posted: 2007-01-21 8:21 pm   Permalink

I'm glad to see someone else knows about this place. My Grandparents lived in Waikiki in the 60's & 70's & the Willows was one of their favorite spots. My wife & I went for the 1st time in 1982 while on our honeymoon. The place was definately for the locals as it was in the middle of a neighborhood & you defintely had to know where it was to find it.

The place was so original, beautiful, so incredibly authentic & un-touristy. When we visited again in 1989, we ran into Joe Penny & his girlfriend as they were filming their TV show. Anyway, the food was great & you could not get any better atmosphere as it was like eating in the most wonderful hawaiian gardens.

Unfortunately, we went back last year to show our kids and found a mere shadow of what used to be. The original had gone out of business, was sold to another who tried to fix it up but took out most of the plants, turned it into a buffet, and I was sad I could not have just remembered it for what it once was. I will never go back but instead cherish the memories. I still have the original menu and a matchbook somewhere...

Thanks for the memories!

Aloha,
Kahuna

View Profile of big kahuna59 Send a personal message to big kahuna59      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-31 8:48 pm   Permalink

I have a brochure from The Willows, it is one of my favorite Hawaii brochures.

The artwork on the renderings is awesome, love the tree through the roof.

Now this is style, the Luau Pavillion:

Some info on the owner and the place and some great interior photos:

Finally a couple more postcards. I like the one with the giant clam shell fountain.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-31 10:26 pm   Permalink

Forgot the matchbook.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-10-31 22:38 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-01 06:16 am   Permalink

Here's another matchbook.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-06 3:58 pm   Permalink

Trav,

Nice matchbook, I like the photo of the entrance. Does not look like the palm tree is growing through the roof as shown in the brochure rendering.

Here is another rendering from the Ford recipe book.

DC

Luki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-27 4:24 pm   Permalink

Postcard on eBay:

View Profile of Luki Send a personal message to Luki  Goto the website of Luki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-15 1:21 pm   Permalink

Three fold brochure... the middle back panel is glued down to the scrapbook page...but here are the other pages...

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation