Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki M&M Tiki Snack Shack Dispenser
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
M&M Tiki Snack Shack Dispenser
Trader Tom

Posted: 2006-12-31 01:48 am   Permalink

I got this for Christmas from some friends. I didn't know it even existed, but I love it. It's plastic and ceramic and lights up from inside. It has a little unattached "lagoon" dish to hold the M&Ms. They got it for me from Department 56 at Disneyland. Apparently the shacks didn't sell very well, though, so they probably won't make any more. Here are a couple of shots:

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-31 05:29 am   Permalink

W...w...w..wow! ANY native A-frame model is cool in my book, and this, cookie jar-tacky or not, is one of the more elaborate testimonies of the Tiki revival. Want one.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-31 07:28 am   Permalink

Yikes! I just entered the M&M Collectible universe! And I thought we Tiki collectors were nuts! No luck though, out of stock.

It always pays of to check though: I thought that the markings on the A-frame beams seemed familiar, but they are not from the Hale Tiki rendering BOT p.54 (others have used that, like Mark Ryden on his Martin Denny CD cover), but clearly from the Kon Tiki Montreal exterior on page 96/97 of the BOT.

Rats! I have to concede that, though it IS taken from that rendering, it is NOT from the BOT (hey, that rimes):

The very last pattern used on the top is cut off on the BOT pages (something I always regretted!) but visible in the original (which I once beheld!). Compare to its full reproduction on the back of Beachbum Berry's Grog Log!

Aaah, I love having time off to do this kind of extraneous research

PS: The Tikis on the hut seem to be taken from old plastic Tiki pendants

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-12-31 08:04 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom

Posted: 2006-12-31 12:15 pm   Permalink

Department 56 may be out of stock, but I Googled to see if anyone else had it and came up with http://www.giftcollector.com/product_isapi_p_63011-l_1241-m_30-a_243-store.htm?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=shopping.

They appear to have them for sale for about $25.00.

Good luck.

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Tom 2006-12-31 12:16 ]

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-31 1:19 pm   Permalink

Hey, that's kind of fun. Does it acutally dispense the M&Ms or is it just for show?

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom

Posted: 2006-12-31 2:15 pm   Permalink

The Snack Shack comes in two parts: the shack and the bowl. It doesn't actually dispense anything, but it sure looks cool.

Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-31 3:22 pm   Permalink

Too Cute! bet it's gonna be hard to get soon, probably very limited.

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-31 4:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-31 15:22, Hiphipahula wrote:
Too Cute! bet it's gonna be hard to get soon, probably very limited.

stock up now to fleece the newbies on ebay later!! whooohoooooo!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-31 4:24 pm   Permalink

it's kinda cool but the m&m tie-in sucks!!! is this plastic??? if so i can obliterate all signs of m&m off it, and re decorate it like it should be.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-31 4:26 pm   Permalink

hey holden- i think tiki farm should produce a new dish we could buy that replaces the lame m&m one.....that would be cool.

Trader Tom

Posted: 2006-12-31 6:29 pm   Permalink

There are several M&M Snack Shacks on e-Bay right now. The low price is a Buy-It-Now for $21, but with shipping would be closer to $30. The Item Number is 320063143973.

Tipsy, I looked closely at it and I think you could strip the M&M stuff off if you wanted to. It's mostly ceramic, but with a little paint and patience it could be done.

I like the idea of Holden doing a version. What would also be cool is a Tiki Style Gingerbread House. Edible is always good but I was thinking in terms of a big ceramic one with flicker lights to put out for Christmas 2007. Just a thought...

panampia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-13 9:31 pm   Permalink

check out www.hillshobby.com
they have them for 24.99

View Profile of panampia Send a personal message to panampia  Email panampia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-14 5:54 pm   Permalink

Thats very kool Gotta love something that combines tiki with chocolate!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-15 4:30 pm   Permalink

Here's my de-M&Mmed Snack Shack. Because of its cartoony style, I decided to replace the uncool M&M figure with some STILL cool (despite being over-commercialized) cartoon characters:

I kinda enjoyed "desecrating" a "collectible".
Here's the full rendering of the first Stephen Crane Kon Tiki that the gable patterns were swiped from:

...by the way, while the BOT cuts off that last pattern, it IS visible in TIKI STYLE

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-15 5:16 pm   Permalink

Hahaha!
Excellent, Bigbro! Completely in character.

And I love the SHAG stationary sticker used to cover the highest offending M&M
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation