[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki M&M Tiki Snack Shack Dispenser
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
M&M Tiki Snack Shack Dispenser
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-15 6:01 pm   Permalink

BigBroTiki, that's awesome! Thanks for the pic!

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-15 7:35 pm   Permalink

Wwwwaaaaaaaaaaaa...none left on that link. Guess I will be the fleeced newbie soon.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-16 7:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-31 16:24, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
it's kinda cool but the m&m tie-in sucks!!! is this plastic??? if so i can obliterate all signs of m&m off it, and re decorate it like it should be.....

Funny I saw the m&m tiki hut and smiled. Everyone looked at the building and the tiki's on it but no one thought to look up m&m's. The following is an excerpt from the m&m's website's history page:

Who would have guessed that the idea for M&M'S Plain Chocolate Candies was hatched against the backdrop of the Spanish Civil War? Legend has it that, while on a trip to Spain, Forrest Mars Sr. encountered soldiers who were eating pellets of chocolate encased in a hard sugary coating. This prevented it from melting. Inspired by this idea, Mr. Mars went back to his kitchen and invented the recipe for M&M'S Plain Chocolate Candies.

M&M'S Chocolate Candies were first sold in 1941, and soon became a favorite of the American GIs serving in World War II. Packaged in cardboard tubes, they were sold to the military as a convenient snack that traveled well in any climate. By the late 1940s, they were widely available to the public, who gave them an excellent reception. In 1948, their packaging changed from a tube form to the characteristic brown pouch we know today.

I would like to suggest that m&m's and Tiki's spent a lot of time together in the Pacific theater during World War II. The GI's brought home their love of Tiki's and also for these great little candies.

So there's your tie in, m&m's another Poly-Pop phenomenon with it's roots in World War II.

My Hut stay's m&m it blends two of my favorite collections.

Tikisgrl

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-17 11:22 am   Permalink

Nice post, Tikisgrl! I also feel the connection and have an additional suggestion. Last year for one of my tiki parties, I ordered turquoise (aqua) and white M&M's (as close to mid-century colors as I could get) and had my own inscription printed on them. Now that I have my tiki hut dispenser, I am going to order more M&M's this year. Last year I had them inscribed with our names, but this year it could be stuff like:

Tiki Lives
Live Aloha
Mahalo plenty
Okole Maluna
Hare Maru

Check it out...
http://www.mymms.com/celebrations/celebrations.asp

- Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-20 01:26 am   Permalink

They are still available from M&M's World in Las Vegas. They quoted me $30 +$10 shipping to California.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation