FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts So, I made a sign for the Mai Kai 50th....
So, I made a sign for the Mai Kai 50th....
Haole Kat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-01 6:15 pm   Permalink

....and I thought this would be a good place to share it with other folks.

It's cut from varying thicknesses of plywood. The detail was a combo of spray paint and airbrush. The laquer is a 2-part pour-on.

Some details are carved a bit with a Dremel tool.

I cut out the Mai Kai letters first to determine the size of the other elements. Here's the not quite perfected layout...

Here's the background just after cutting...the dimensions are 26 by 17 inches...

Now with the remaining lettering cut and roughly placed...

Here it's been primered and the concentric oval is carved with the Dremel...

I sprayed the solid colors to prepare it for the airbrushing step...

HEre's the finished product. The bamboo curves are also carved with the Dremel and the wood plank was "antiqued" a bit before clearcoat. The flames are inserted into slots that were cut into the tops of the torches...

Apparently, they plan on hanging it over Mr. Thornton's picture in the office, in case anyone would like to see it in person on their next trip to the Mai Kai.

Josh

View Profile of Haole Kat Send a personal message to Haole Kat  Email Haole Kat Goto the website of Haole Kat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-01 8:04 pm   Permalink

That looks great. Thanks for the step by step photos.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-01 8:20 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-01 10:57 pm   Permalink

Nice job, looks great.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-01 11:22 pm   Permalink

Right on Josh!

Nice work!

After talking with you on the phone a few weeks ago, its cool to see the finished product.

Careful now... once you've made one tiki sign, you'll be making another, and another... then comes the palm logs... and the chisels....

Happy New Year bruddah, hope to see you up here this summer again!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 09:59 am   Permalink

Josh,
Fantastic job! What a thoughtful gift!
I raise my glass to you...

by the way, I need a new sign for my shop
K.

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 11:05 am   Permalink

Very cool.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala_kahiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 5:45 pm   Permalink

so awesome!!

View Profile of hala_kahiki Send a personal message to hala_kahiki  Email hala_kahiki Goto the website of hala_kahiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 8:18 pm   Permalink

Great job on the sign!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Kat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 09:38 am   Permalink

Mahalo to everyone for their encouragement. Also, thanks to Chip & Andy for posting those pics of us presenting the sign to Mrs. Thornton.

I really had alot of fun putting this together and I'm looking forward to the next project. The techniques I used were taught to me by my great friend, Jeffrey Claus. He's been making custom wooden signs for about 2 years now and has just formed an LLC - Wooden Tattoos. He was a tattoo artist for years, that's how we met, and now, this is his creative outlet. The creativity seems to be contagious, so now I'm seeing ideas everywhere. When I'm not working on a "business" project, I'm cobbling something together for myself....Lake's probably right...chisels are in the future for sure!

I also made a sign for the Jetsetter's 1st anniversary - I'll post pics in another thread for anyone who might be interested.

Josh

View Profile of Haole Kat Send a personal message to Haole Kat  Email Haole Kat Goto the website of Haole Kat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation