FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki West Winds Motel, Mount Vernon, WA (motel)
West Winds Motel, Mount Vernon, WA (motel)
rwhgeek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-02 4:32 pm   Permalink

Name:West Winds Motel
Type:motel
Street:2020 Riverside Drive
City:Mount Vernon
State:WA
Zip:98273
Phone:(360) 424-4224

Description:
This place is rundown on a major street. I only posted it for the figures out front. Information from travelpost.com: "40 rooms, 1 floor, Built 56 years ago (1951), Renovated 2 years ago (2005)." Only judging from the outside I think renovated might have meant new paint on the outside. The two reviews I was able to find did nothing to change my initial impressions.
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-356205-prod-hotel-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=Aix.VFxs6u30ZKo9xWZYMSTiphQB

If you look at the roof you can see the address is missing a number.

[ This Message was edited by: rwhgeek 2007-01-02 16:43 ]

View Profile of rwhgeek Send a personal message to rwhgeek  Email rwhgeek Goto the website of rwhgeek     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 6:30 pm   Permalink

DAMN! I DO NOT BELIVE THAT , thit IS a WITCO foutain painted green.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Stiki Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 6:36 pm   Permalink

wow I live kinda close, may have to check it out next time I get to leave the island...

View Profile of Stiki Tiki Send a personal message to Stiki Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 6:39 pm   Permalink

you gotta save it.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Stiki Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 7:13 pm   Permalink

I'll take some rope and drag em home...

View Profile of Stiki Tiki Send a personal message to Stiki Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rwhgeek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-03 09:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-02 18:39, TIKI DAVID wrote:
you gotta save it.

My mother actually drives past it daily. I have informed her if she sees any work i.e. construction/change of owner, she is to contact me immediatly. I live in VA so I can't hunt down the owner and make an offer (as well as currently suffering lack of money), so it is up to a WA tikiophile if they have the means to step up.

View Profile of rwhgeek Send a personal message to rwhgeek  Email rwhgeek Goto the website of rwhgeek     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 9:51 pm   Permalink

I have seen them for years and the hotel has not changed. I have walked buy them drunk a few times and wanted to take them to a better place but never did.

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Stiki Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-16 2:32 pm   Permalink

I finally got off the island today and stopped by for a few pix

I didn't notice the other tiki in the other pic posted, was in a hurry...

[ This Message was edited by: Stiki Tiki 2007-01-16 14:32 ]

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-16 3:12 pm   Permalink

2, 7ft WITCO fountains painted green? damn!!! son of a bitch!! somebody save those! don't make me drive all the way out there. TD

Stiki Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-16 3:40 pm   Permalink

They do need saving, or at the least moved away from the edge of the roof, the water just dumps right on them, the top of the left one looks like it won't last much longer...

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-08 1:17 pm   Permalink

I stopped by this property yesterday. The painted Witcos are still there just as in the above pictures. One of the fountains has a piece missing from its side and there seemed to be signs of rot. It's possible that all three Witcos all have damage beyond repair, but they are heavily painted which may mean some protection. On the other hand, that's a lot of paint to remove to bring them back to their proper state.

The person at the desk (he seemed he may be the owner) said a couple of people had told him they would like to buy the pieces if he ever gets rid of them.

In the little garden beyond the entry (can be seen in the snow pics above) there are two tikis which seem to be tree fern carvings in really good condition. (They don't show in detail in the above photos.) I took some snaps (film) of these and will pass them along to someone with a scanner whenever I get them developed.

If the motel itself was ever elaborately Poly-pop there is no trace of it now. I'd guess like a lot of mid-century motels all the fun went into the street appeal. (Portland Oregon's
The Palms is a prime example of this. Stellar sign. Generic motel. Strange girls in tub.)

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-24 6:03 pm   Permalink

Good news for all of you who hated seeing the Witco fountains painted green!

They're now painted purple!

The guy above has some issues:

His buddy looks fine:

The last of two sign tikia is still green:

The sign he guards...

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-24 8:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the update on this place.

These owners should have had new tikis carved for replacements and put these old ones in the office before they got so weathered and painted.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Double Crown
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-21 10:15 am   Permalink

The motel and the tikis are all still there - and still purple. I think they may have a new coat of paint.

http://www.doublecrownrecords.com

View Profile of Double Crown Send a personal message to Double Crown  Email Double Crown Goto the website of Double Crown     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation