FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Royal Tahitian
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Royal Tahitian
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 11:56 am   Permalink

Here's my sad little relic. It's got a bit of water damage.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-03-24 12:00 pm   Permalink

Is there still such a thing as a Fabulous Luncheon?

I haven't heard the word "Luncheon" since 1979.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 4:28 pm   Permalink

A nice find!! I love the map!

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 7:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-24 07:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow what, B.B.? All I see is a bunch of question marks.

links fixed!

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 7:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-24 19:24, johnnievelour wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-03-24 07:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow what, B.B.? All I see is a bunch of question marks.

links fixed!

Very cool. Thank you.

This would be a nice TC project. If even a few people would go back and fix the links on some of their older posts, hmmm...

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 6:51 pm   Permalink

Truly sad to see such a fine establishment wither. Here is a postcard from more glorious days at the Royal Tahitian. They not only had luncheons but "Fashion Luncheons" as well - good times indeed!

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-28 12:17 pm   Permalink

Aaaah, it's so nice to be able to ask and receive! This postcard, although of cheap quality (pardon, Dustycajun), is the only record of the interiors of the place. The strange Sun Tiki mural must have been impressive in person...

Because of the interest, I decided to move up my post on this subject:
So children, let's open up The Book of Tiki to page 251 to refresh our memories. Now, here are some more angles on the main club house, which because of its modernist slant is one of my all time favorites.

The maps and addresses found on vintage matchbooks have always been a valuable aid for the urban archeologist, just as it was in this case. The matchbook was the first clue to the existence of this place, and intrigued by the boast of 250 Acres of Tropical Plants and Lagoons, I took "Das Boot" down the 60 to Ontario in November of 1993. Here is a wide shot of the place, similar to Johnny's ten years later:

Compare it to this early 60s photo from a paper brochure, and we see that the bamboo bridge has been replaced by a concrete one with an iron pipe railing, and the moat and pond had been filled in. This is a common sign in Tiki apartment devolution, due to safety regulations and the desire for lower maintenance costs. And the cool looking giant plant buckets were not there anymore:

Finding photos of Tiki Temples just after construction is always a trade off, because though you can see all the original fixtures in place, the plantings are mostly all new and scraggly, and not lushly grown in yet to frame the architecture and provide that desired tropical touch. Architectural renderings are usually the most phantasy-full depictions, but rare, here is the fanciful rendition of the A-frame on the matchbook again, jet age architecture par excellence:

Though the scale of the people in the drawing does overstate the building's size, it was quite a large A-frame, which we realize when we find the person entering the place in the B&W photo above on the left.
Next is a side angle that gives us a good idea of the sectioned wall concept that allowed the roof to float on the left side:

And here another shot of the airconditioning cover Tikis..

...which were also used as support beams on the building's golf course side:

Sadly, no Polynesian touches had survived the renovations of the interior, so I took no photos. From what I gather, there was once a sunken bar (similar to the mid-century "sunken livingroom" concept, but now filled in), and balconies in the main room, thus the claim of "Three-level dining" inside the matchbook cover:

To show here that the grounds were indeed populated by Tikis once, here is a photo of the sign from the O.A. archives (also in the BOT), note the A-frame in the right background:

And culled from T.C.'s pages, a record cover. I don't own it and thus cannot show the back. I heard that the MC at the Royal Tahitian was a guy named "Hawaiian Abe" who had made his living in native parts in South Sea films before:

And now on to the apartment building adjacent to the R.T. which in 1993 still sported four fine Milan Guanko Tikis (not there anymore in Johnnie's 2003 photos):

Architecturally not as interesting as a building, the Tikis were unusual because they were totem style, two-Tiki posts. Here we can also see one of the Moai railing posts shown by Johnnie on the previous page. And the female Guanko Tiki had gotten a shot to the head...actually birds nesting in the dry rotted palm trunk:

I think I ran out of film, because I went back later to shoot the Tikis one by one, and they had repaired the hole... but one Tiki was missing, probably rotted on the base.

Here are the other two, all fine Milan Guanko types, that man had a smooth style:

Since these apartments showed no sign of ever having had a name sign, I refer to them as Royal Tahitian Apartments. Hope you enjoyed this little expedition.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-28 1:02 pm   Permalink

If anyone has a copy of that Royal Tahitian record and they want to sell it please let me know.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-28 5:43 pm   Permalink

Thanks Bigbro, that was a great history lesson. I will have to stop by the place the next time I am in the neighborhood. I especially liked the old B & W photo right after construction.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-28 7:46 pm   Permalink

My pleasure. Be forewarned, though, from what I understand from the previous page, the club house should be a goner now. Maybe the apartment building is still there, with those Moai beams. So don't expect much...but I am always curious about an update of a site, even if there just the bones left. Kate, are you happier now?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-28 8:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-28 19:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
Kate, are you happier now?

Yes. Thank you.

Think I'll get out my copies of ZuluMagoo's Tiki Tour of Southern California and Tiki Road Trip and spend the weekend taking pictures.

ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-29 07:18 am   Permalink

Go hit the streets Kate. Put on your urban archeology hat and take photos.

It's probably time to update this booklet. I gave away copies at Tiki Oasis 2005, back in Palm Springs. I think I gave away about 40 of them.

Since then, there have probably been 5-10 new apartment complexes that have been documented and should be added to this map. There is still lots of Poly Pop, or at least remants in Socal.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-29 08:27 am   Permalink

Mike is right. As I noted in the BOT, Tiki style has survived much better in apartment complexes than in the restaurant industry, which responds to changing tastes much faster. The fact that there are still "Tiki Villages" being discovered, and that, although few, some do have Tikis standing, and A-frames jutting, is an opportunity to witness authentic mid-century Tiki culture today. Mike has done stellar research work in the Southern Californian Tiki apartment field...and he's not even a local, but lives in Denver!

Among my future TC posts I have on the burner, two are on apartment complexes alone. As you can see from the pics above, even though my books burst with images, there is never enough space to show all I want to. It would be worth wile to make a whole book on Tiki apartments alone...not commercial enough, but the material would be there.

Hell I feel inspired to revisit some of the sites, because now I wish I would have photographed even more, and though today there will be even less detail left compared to when I started 15 years ago, every year that goes by might mean the total disappearance of another village.

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-30 4:48 pm   Permalink

I decided to take a detour through Ontario on my way home from Long Beach today.

I was very surprised to find...

I met a very kind gentleman who let me in to take pictures.

When I was taking pictures out front, the same man drove up in a golf cart and asked if I'd seen the stage where they held performances. I hitched a ride, and we drove out here. This is the stage and the some of the seating.

Found this buy outside, hiding behind a shrub.

The building has taken a beating from the harsh Ontario winds.

The man I spoke with said that the city owns the structure and plans to tear it down.

Then I wandered across the street to what is now the Whispering Lakes Apartments.

I never realized how upset I would get over the sight of a rock wall covered in stucco...

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-30 7:08 pm   Permalink

YEEEAAH! One almost expects more that places have disappeared nowadays than not, so to see such a reversal of fortune is very heartening. How great, thanks for the update, Kate!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation