FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Royal Tahitian
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Royal Tahitian
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 4:26 pm   Permalink

It's amazing that the same chairs are sitting outside of the restrooms 15 years later! Great photos, thanks Sven and Kate.

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 4:58 pm   Permalink

Here's the Royal Tahitian from the air:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=pp34wg55zp4p&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=919976&encType=1

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 12:56 pm   Permalink

I picked up this cool postcard from the Royal Tahitian after seeing it posted a little while back on Tiki Finds by Tiki Shaker. It's a sneaky card to find in that it only lists Greetings from Ontario on the back with no reference to the Royal Tahitian.

Here is a close up of the A frame.

Bigbro posted this picture of the entrance previously

Quote:

On 2008-03-28 12:17, bigbrotiki wrote:
To show here that the grounds were indeed populated by Tikis once, here is a photo of the sign from the O.A. archives (also in the BOT), note the A-frame in the right background:

On the postcard there is only one Tiki left at the entrance and the sign is gone.
Wonder where they went?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 2:26 pm   Permalink

Hey DC, if you look at your color close up it appears they turned the sign + Tiki's 90' in the other direction (where we can't see). It also looks like they raised it all a few feet, in the color photo the Tiki's are higher than Sven's B+W shot and they are actually back further? If you look down the side you can see the color and angle of the sign box, at least that's what it looks like to me.

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 2:44 pm   Permalink

Bosko,

You are absolutely correct! Upon further examination of that color photo, you can make out the two Tikis that were rotated and placed atop the sign. Good eye.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 9:00 pm   Permalink

And I believe the torches that stick into the photo on the right are part of the ingenious "turned head Tiki" by Charley Rosenkrantz that I cannot remember if I showed it on his page in the Artists chapter of the BOT. If it's in there, someone please show it, it came form the O.A. archive.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 10:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-15 21:00, bigbrotiki wrote:
And I believe the torches that stick into the photo on the right are part of the ingenious "turned head Tiki" by Charley Rosenkrantz that I cannot remember if I showed it on his page in the Artists chapter of the BOT. If it's in there, someone please show it, it came form the O.A. archive.

Bigbro,

Your memory is still working while overseas. The picture of the turned head Tiki and the torches was in the BOT. Here is the pic. I didn't realize that Charley Rosenkrantz also did the Tikis at The Reef Restaurant. I've got a matchbook from that place lying around somewhere.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-21 12:19 pm   Permalink

Here is the matchbook from The Reef in Long Beach with the Tiki carved by Charley Rosenkrantz. Old Chucky certainly had a unique style.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-09 10:07 pm   Permalink

Found a couple of interesting references to the concert series that used to be held at the Royal Tahitian. The first is a postcard from a Ray Charles concert that was held at there. Looks like the concerts were set up on a stage outside on the golf course.

The second is a cool 1967 ticket stub from a James Brown concert at the Royal Tahitian. The Godfather of Soul rockin it Tiki style!

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 11:01 pm   Permalink

A somewhat different matchbook than Tiki Kate's with advertising for the Walter's Coffee Shop on the back.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-03 6:47 pm   Permalink

Saw this odd matchbook from the Pele Beverage Co. out of Samoa on ebay and kept wondering where I had seen that Tiki before. It's the Charlie Rosenkrantz Tiki from the Royal Tahitian!

DC

bedslead

Posted: 2009-12-31 6:34 pm   Permalink

I went down there today very sad indeed. Looking around you can just imagine how kool it must have been! the updated pics in the beginning's of this post is spot on, however the area by the restrooms has been condemned . it looks like a sealed time capsule the chair in the pic is still there and the plants are well grown.the tikis beams are there and there is a bitchen rock wall that will be torn down.

View Profile of bedslead Send a personal message to bedslead      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bedslead

Posted: 2009-12-31 6:34 pm   Permalink

I went down there today very sad indeed. Looking around you can just imagine how kool it must have been! the updated pics in the beginning's of this post is spot on, however the area by the restrooms has been condemned . it looks like a sealed time capsule the chair in the pic is still there and the plants are well grown.the tikis beams are there and there is a bitchen rock wall that will be torn down.

View Profile of bedslead Send a personal message to bedslead      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-02 08:56 am   Permalink

Here is the lp again with additional photos from the back.
"That's only half the fun, There's the exotica of Quiet Village replete with bird calls made famous by drummer tony Clark while he was with Martin Denny. Tony leads the Roayal Tees into something else again on Simalou, a rarely heard, but fascinating musical creation that reaches perfection in the hands of this talented group."

You can hear the Quiet village track on Digitiki's broadcast with Jeff Central.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 9:58 pm   Permalink

Bongo,

thanks for posting those pics from the album, very cool. I need to find a copy of that one.

I grabbed a few images from the Royal Tahitian on ebay showing more of the concert series that became popular there.

A matchbook.

And a postcard featuring a car show at the concert venue.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation