FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge The Grateful Dead Thread
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
The Grateful Dead Thread
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 10:10 pm   Permalink

Streaming live show from Honululu Civic Auditorium 1/23/1970

http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-01-23.sbd.fixed.connor.18153.sbeok.shnf

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 5:21 pm   Permalink

Yeah, that's Jerry....on the left.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/stranjer/JG.html

http://www.reefrelief.org/

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 6:09 pm   Permalink

Waimea, Hawaii's Malama Kai Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to ocean stewardship through community service and public education. Begun in 1990 with a ten thousand dollar donation from Jerry Garcia, the foundation raises funds to sponsor projects that help conserve Hawaii's coastal and marine resources and educate people about these resources.

http://www.malama-kai.org/index.htm
http://www.scubadivemaui.com/news.html

waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 5:07 pm   Permalink

Billy Kreutzmann has lived in Hawaii for years and, when not drumming, spends his time SCUBA diving! Just another Hawaii/Dead connection.

View Profile of waikiki tiki Send a personal message to waikiki tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 9:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-09 17:07, waikiki tiki wrote:
Billy Kreutzmann has lived in Hawaii for years and, when not drumming, spends his time SCUBA diving! Just another Hawaii/Dead connection.

Yes Indeed! Thanks for reminding me Waikiki Tiki! I have a surfer buddy who says Billy lives in Kilauea.

hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 10:07 pm   Permalink

http://www.stellablues.com/

Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 3:34 pm   Permalink

Here are some of my boot shirts. The others are inthe attic and I don't want to move my CDs aroung to get to them just yet.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-18 6:34 pm   Permalink

Found my ticket stubs.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 08:59 am   Permalink

Grateful Dead Live at Autzen Stadium, U. of Oregon, June 18, 1994

Non "Deadheads" take a listen...

This mid-nineties show exhibits the kind of "nahenahe" Garcia finger picking as well as the brisk country rave-ups that made the Grateful Dead so popular in the islands and endeared them to 70's Hawaiian bands like Billy Kaui & Country Comfort. (The Dead's influence can be clearly heard on CC tunes like Railway Station, Honkey Tonk Wines and Country Palace, etc).

http://www.archive.org/details/gd94-06-18.sbd.ladner.12098.sbeok.shnf

Standout tracks here are Sugaree, Tennessee Jed, Me and My Uncle and Candyman. Echos of both slack key master Ray Kane and improvizational jazz pioneer John Coltrane can be heard here. Splendid!

hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 09:13 am   Permalink

Just missed Rick Griffin's GD "Tiki Poster" on e-bay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RICK-GRIFFIN-GRATEFUL-DEAD-HAWAII-69-POSTER-SURFER-MINT_W0QQitemZ320075257873QQihZ011QQcategoryZ58135QQcmdZViewItem

hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 09:24 am   Permalink

Deadheads In Paradise ( 17 year old comicstrip! )
http://www.wdirewolff.com/deadhead.htm

Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 12:56 pm   Permalink

I retrieved the shirts from the attic.
front

back

Not my fave, but I like it.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 1:20 pm   Permalink

The dead have zero to do with Tiki, and zero to do with John Coltrane. Coltrane was a master musician. The dead are just mediocre, at best. I challenge any deadhead to show me one straight ahead jazz album made by Jerry Garcia and his ilk, where they are handling a majority of the jazz licks. I know he played with brian Bromberg, and other jazz artists like David Grisman, but it was those artists that had the real talent, and not the deadheads.

Arthur Lyman did "leis of jazz". There has always been a connection between Jazz and exotica-but not between 60's pop of any kind (jazz, lounge, exotica, ect.) and the lowbrow folk rock that is the grateful dead.

Back in the 60's, I would like to see any hippies that listened to thier parent's arthur lyman records. I don't think very many exist.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 5:49 pm   Permalink

So what?

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-12 2:15 pm   Permalink

so what is this constant need by people to interject the grateful dead onto a Tiki website? I realize there is a lot of latitude on this site as far as making a connection between punk rock and Tiki (however tenous) but don't you think the grateful dead has about as much to do with tiki as does Jimmy Buffet?

If someone likes the dead, that's great, but by trying to make a connection with Tiki, I feel it helps dilute actual tiki culture, and that is something that has been done too much lately, like by people named Jimmy Buffet. I feel we need to preserve as much of the original intent of Tiki as much as possible, before it's gone forever.

Deadhead culture (and hippy culture) does have some small tie to exotica related items in that the scene has some middle eastern influences, some jamaican influences, and even some African themes. But these all stress the psycadelic aspects of those cultures. Even when there is some supposed link to Hawaii, it is always of the laid back pot smoking mystical Hawaiian triipy artwork variety, be it graphics or music.

Tiki to me, means specifically a fake exotic experience that veers towards kitsch, came from America in the late 40's, 50s and early sixties, and was never meant to be truly mystical in a deep sense, as that the main adherents were people with short hair, ties, normal jobs and they were mostly middle class suburban parents. The equivalent of yuppies in a sense. It's just by chance that the music they listened to (which was ridiculed in the late 70's and ended up in garage sales) turned out to be really cool in retrospect.

I can't speak for a lot of members of TC, but I can guess their backgrounds are similar to mine. late 30's, early 40s. They like Tiki because it reminds them of the better parts of thier youth, when art and life was far more whimsical. Most were probably not into hippy rock, but instead grew up on punk, new wave and alternative music. Discovered tiki later, but grew to love it because it reflects a nicer, less cynical time in thier lifes.

Am I 100% wrong about any of this?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation