FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » The Grateful Dead Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
The Grateful Dead Thread
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-24 3:56 pm   Permalink

Not your parent's music!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-24 3:58 pm   Permalink

The best.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-24 4:00 pm   Permalink

God.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-24 4:04 pm   Permalink

The lords of the new church.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-24 4:22 pm   Permalink

Not hip.

Extremely hip.

Any questions?

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2008-12-24 16:23 ]

hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-31 6:01 pm   Permalink

Vigs!

(Relax fellow Deadheads, this man is a friend and completely harmless. He's actually very nice but totally irreparably uncool as I will now demonstrate.)

Were you been? I totally missed you down here.

After all what's a veggie burrito without it's foil? (<- hippie joke!)

(Anyway onto the phoney baloney indignation...)

Darn you Vigs! That'll teach us! LOL!

Once again you are befouling my patchouli scented thread of flowers and peace with your gin soaked Bizarro-World reality... Besides shouldn't you be picking a fight with the doorman of the Midnight Club in Fort Lauderdale?

Huey Lewis hasn't had a hit in twenty years and even then it wasn't ACTUALLY hip to be square. Being square is only ever hip if it's intentional and you're in on the joke.

Here's a quick test you can take repeatedly at home anytime you get confused like this.

Look at the following images and using your mouse, select the "Cool One".

If, as I suspect you've chosen the man on the left, that is incorrect and the mild electric shock you have just received should serve as a gentle reminder that the man with the fedora and pipe hasn't been "Cool" since the Hitler was alive. I would also note that heading for the derby in your best Spike Jones jacket and bow tie hasn't been very popular in a while either. Despite his many contributions to popular recording arts, in another twenty years the man's ripe uncoolness will relegate him to nothing more than a dusty footnote and the #1 reason MTV gets requests each year for "that Christmas video of Bowie singing with his grandfather".

In contrast the guy on the right has been dead for about forty years, only put out several rather intensely dated studio albums and is still one of the most recognized and universally respected figures in all music. Probably playing on thousands of radio stations world wide at this very instant purely by coincidence. That's "Cool".

Feel free to print these pics out and ask some young neighborhood children who's "Cooler". I'm guessing as many as 75% of children under ten will be able to name one of the men over the other as well.

(I advise not wearing any of your signature pork pie hats or two tone saddle shoes when you ask or they might laugh at and/or roll you for change).

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 1:32 pm   Permalink

You got me!!!

sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 4:37 pm   Permalink

09 Dead tour starts in spring - Whos gettin back on the bus?

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-03 6:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-02 13:32, lucas vigor wrote:
You got me!!!

LOL! Happy New Year Vigs. Listening to your intentionally uncool band right now... Superb. Must be a cd from when Cam was still a pal. You know I'd sell these damned things if you ever print some. I sell Tikiyaki's debut as well as select jazz from Blue Note, Prestige, Columbia and the 59th State stuff. WTF are we waiting for?

Quote:

On 2009-01-02 16:37, sneakyjack wrote:

Hey now, you were never supposed to get off!!!!

Actually except for Bobby & Micky, the boys don't show much love for SoSoCal and I don't think I can afford to travel.

You?

BB King downtown tomorrow at SD House of Blues... Hmmm...

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 6:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-02 16:37, sneakyjack wrote:

$100.00+ for tix!?! Think I'll go see Tikiyaki O @ the Boo Bash...

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-03 4:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-26 18:04, KuKu wrote:
$100.00+ for tix!?! Think I'll go see Tikiyaki O @ the Boo Bash...

WTF? That's pretty frickin steap!! If I were younger and hairier I'd just go and wander around the parking lot with my finger in the air till I got Miracled, but there isn't enough nitrus or ganja goo balls in the entire world to make that enjoyable at my age.

Tikiyaki is so similar to the Dead anyway it's almost the same show: Squid and Mark will do a half hour timbale solo, Jim will keep hitting his forehead on the microphone and Gary will blow your mind with a cover of Garcia's 'The Wheel'.

Yeah, I'd do the Tikiyaki thing for sure.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-04 08:27 am   Permalink

Tikiyaki is similar to the grateful dead? Man, I HOPE that was meant to be a joke!
But if you were serious, let’s run through a few facts, from a musician’s perspective.

Jim Bacchi: 1 million times the guitarist that Jerry Garcia is. Jerry does a shitload of mindless noodling (as do all hippy guitarists), while Jim has singlehandedly brought back real exotica to the music scene. Writing, playing, producing, running a band. There is no comparison. Jerry Garcia is a hack compared to Jim.
Squid: Squid is a real musician. A real musician. A real musician. Say it three times and you just might end up back in Kansas. Mickey Hart is a garage musician who got famous. Again, no comparison. Squid BLOWS Mickey Hart right off the map.
Jon Paul: With his little finger he is infinitely better then Phil Lesh. And he does it with a cheap Fender knock-off bass. Just a bass, a cord, an amp and his fingers. Phil Lesh needs 50 million knobs and sound reinforcement (of the highest tech) and is STILL a hack.
Marty Lush: Has an actual personality, knows what “cool” and “style” are, and is Tiki to the core. The guys in the dead are not even qualified to clean his toilet.
Gary Branden: Have you even heard the Blue Hawaiians? I rest my case.

There is this other thread, about questioning whether Hawaiiana is not really Tiki. Maybe, maybe not. I am on the fence on that one, but comparing hippy culture to Tiki culture is even more of a stretch. Hippy = Jimmy Buffet? Yeah, I can see that. Same types of people like it, actually. But bringing hippy-dippy culture into Tiki central is so off the base of what we stand for, I just don’t GET it!

How many times do I have to say this? Tiki was destroyed by rock and hippy culture. Same with jazz. Everything good in this world (concerning art and music) was destroyed by the Hippies. The powerful Hollywood elite that had some say in defining what was cool and trendy went to the other side, the enemy. This should be very clear to anyone into retro culture.

Anyway, if you were just joking, please disregard my rant.

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-04 5:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-04 08:27, lucas vigor wrote:
Everything good in this world (concerning art and music) was destroyed by the Hippies.

I wouldn't stop at just art and music. They ruined everything else too.

Whenever I think of hippies, my crotch gets phantom itches like I have crabs. I wonder how it is that I came to associate hippies with genital lice?

We should start a thread about that jerkoff Jim Morrisson too!
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 07:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-04 17:40, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-02-04 08:27, lucas vigor wrote:
Everything good in this world (concerning art and music) was destroyed by the Hippies.

I wouldn't stop at just art and music. They ruined everything else too.

Whenever I think of hippies, my crotch gets phantom itches like I have crabs. I wonder how it is that I came to associate hippies with genital lice?

We should start a thread about that jerkoff Jim Morrisson too!
Buzzy Out!

I am pretty sure you are joking, but...I would not say they ruined everything else...they did pretty good with protests and politics, in general..effecting change, civil rights, etc..but one can't help but wonder if they had looked, talked and sounded like everyone else in the late 50's, early 60's, they may have been taken more seriously by the Nixon generation. The look and vibe was a turn off to the very people who had the power to effect change.

Going from a culture that dressed up to go out and listened to exotica, jazz, lounge and jazz-pop, to a culture that looked like crap...casual, tie-died, rasta locks, etc...

Yeah, they ruined the scene I love the best.

I love jazz music. The period of time from 1955 to almost exactly 1964 was a golden period in music, the likes never to be seen again. Then came 1964 and you all know who came on the scene that year, and destroyed Jazz for good. (And before you say that the new scene was equally vital and important, how many of you are into hip hop on this forum? THAT scene was also vital, influencial and important, and I HATE it!!)

Sure, there were a lot of great artists, Hendrix, Morrison, etc..I just don't feel there is even the remotest tie-in to tiki culture. It's not even Bilge-worthy, INMHO.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 07:20 am   Permalink

Here is a link to a story about Shelley's manne-hole, a jazz club in LA during the golden years of jazz I spoke about. Shelley Manne was also an actor, appearing in "adventures in paradise".

I think even some of you hippies will find it interesting.

http://jazzprofiles.blogspot.com/2008/08/manne-hole-part-1.html

Read this and see how vital the scene the hippies helped kill off was.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation