FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Road Trip: Milwaukee (9/22), Atlanta (9/29) -- SEE PAGE 7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Tiki Road Trip: Milwaukee (9/22), Atlanta (9/29) -- SEE PAGE 7
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 6:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-06 01:41, christiki295 wrote:
As much as I liked the last LA signing at Wacko/Soap Factory,
can the next LA signing be at a more appropriate location?

I'm not even going to begin thinking about locations until April-ish, but I am definitely open for suggestions.

Vern, your idea cracks me up.
Who knew that too much Buffet might threaten the stablity of the entire planet?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-15 11:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2007-01-06 18:53, tikibars wrote:

I'm not even going to begin thinking about locations until April-ish, but I am definitely open for suggestions.

Tikibars, I don't think anyone could give you a suggestion that is not already in your book.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 6:30 pm   Permalink

Spotted online! TRT 2nd edition with a 5/31 release date...at of all places:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5436886
(by way of explanation - I got a giftcard and was looking to use it, so just typed TIKI into their search engine to see what would come up)

James - can you let us know if that publication date is set, and beyond that - what method of purchase would best benefit you & your efforts?

Cheers,
Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-12 09:52 am   Permalink

And just to clarify -- this is an update of the first book and not a second volume with completely different entries, right?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-12 1:18 pm   Permalink

Yes, and yes.

From what I know,
in some cases, updates needed to be made (places closed, got more tiki, got less tiki, etc.)

In other cases, mistakes were made and are now corrected AND whole new places opened and needed new entries

I cannot WAIT!
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilty McTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-12 1:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-05 14:44, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
looks great!! however, if you want to save room for more info and pics of bars, then ditch the section on drinks and hawaiian vocab.....let's face it, grog log is the source we mainly use for drinks and there are dozens of books about hawaiian language......if you had the room, great!! i would say include all that, but if you are coming up short, get rid of those sections...i would rather have more info about the places as opposed to how to speak hawaiian and more rehash of drink recipes......tiki road trip is the source to go to to learn about and locate tiki places.....i feel you should focus more on that......yes, i see the relevance to having the other sections but, why use up valuable page space on yet another zombie recipe....I think more photos of places will really add to the book and enchance it further as a reference source, for now and future tiki enthusiasts...we can get drink recipes and hawaiian vocab from a 100 other sources.........just my 2 cents. as usual.

I think an important thing to remember is that any company that is going to publish a book like this isn't publishing it just for the members of one internet forum. This book is probably going to be picked up by lots of people who just think it sounds interesting when they're strolling through Barnes & Noble or whatever.

Also, folks who are joining this community but may not know of things like the Grog Log or other sources of information might really appreciate having the other content as well. If we want to bring Tiki back and do it right, wouldn't it be better to get the newbies off on the right foot with some of the very content you're suggesting he omit?

View Profile of Kilty McTiki Send a personal message to Kilty McTiki  Email Kilty McTiki Goto the website of Kilty McTiki ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-13 08:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-12 09:52, arriano wrote:
And just to clarify -- this is an update of the first book and not a second volume with completely different entries, right?

Well, yes and no.

It is an update of the first book, yes, but I have basically re-written it, top to bottom, so even the old entries are freshened up.

I was very concerned that people who got the first one would still feel that the second one was worth getting. So I crammed a lot of new info in there, as much as I was allowed to. There are a LOT of newly-opened places listed and a LOT of classic places that have come to light since 2002 that are now included.

The release date posted above is accurate, as far as I know.

The best way to get the book (thanks for asking) is to buy it from me in person, either at a signing (I'll be figuring those out in April), or from my web site.

http://www.tydirium.net/tiki/tikiroadtrip.html

I remember mentioning this somewhere a few years ago, but essentialy if you get it from me directly, I make about $6 (immediately), but if you buy it in a store, I get about 44 cents (paid by royalty check as much as a year after the purchase).

So you can see what MY preference is!

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2007-04-26 12:55 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-13 09:05 am   Permalink

I hope you fixed one thing: The Platters were a Mercury recording group from the 50's--not a Motown group from the 60's!

Looking forward to it.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-13 10:40 am   Permalink

I only hope someone proofs this one before it goes to press.

View Profile of Kitty Send a personal message to Kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-13 11:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

I remember mentioning this somewhere a few years ago, but essentialy if you get it from me directly, I make about $6 (immediately), but if you buy it in a store, I get about 44 cents (paid by royalty check as much as a year after the purchase). So you can see what MY preference is!

Thanks for letting us know that. I'd much rather it go to you. Amazon makes enough profit from me already.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-13 12:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-13 09:05, pappythesailor wrote:
I hope you fixed one thing: The Platters were a Mercury recording group from the 50's--not a Motown group from the 60's!

Either way - their singer is out of work again, since Bali Hai in Santiago has closed.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-13 4:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-13 12:40, tikibars wrote:
.......since Bali Hai in Santiago has closed.

Noooooo! Since WHEN !? Arrrgh, and I did not get to document it on film.....that place was great...only a year ago it was still open and hopping!!!

Not to derail the topic, but here are some digi pics from it that my sister sent me:

It had complete Polynesian floor shows, its own mugs, the whole nine yards...

I am bummed. Why do I not have unlimited time and resources to jet all over the world to record these places for Tiki history before they disappear... I go cry now...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-02-13 16:40 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-26 12:50 pm   Permalink

TRT 2 update:

I am finishing final proofs and corrections today and tomorrow.

The design looks great - it was done by Amy at Future Studio, whos previous project was Sven's new book!

The new book is 360 pages long (old one was 286), and the cover price will remain the same. Due to be sent to the printers on Monday, which means that a release date of May 31 is still likely.

Please see my first post on page 1 of this thread for all the details (updated today), including info on the book's public debut at Hukilau.

Mahalo nui once again to everyone who has supported TRT 1 and 2 and made this adventure possible.

See ya'all at Hukilau!

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-26 12:53 pm   Permalink

Just looked at the Wal-Mart page that Rupe linked to...

They have a few errors... the page count is 360, not 312.

The publisher is Santa Monica Press - the DISTRIBUTOR is Independent Pub Group.

And remember, for those of you (without Wal Mart gift cards!), ordering through my site helps me out, while ordering through Wal-mart just ruins America!
http://www.tydirium.net/tiki/tikiroadtrip.html

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-26 1:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

ordering through Wal-mart just ruins America!

Hear! Hear!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation