FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Bowana's Other Crafts
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 Next Page )
Bowana's Other Crafts
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 9:04 pm   Permalink

Thanks for checking out The Carve-O-Copia. Some of these images have appeared on TC before, but I wanted to consolidate them onto one thread.

This Moai is about 3' tall. I carved it out of Styrofoam planks that were glued together. You can see some of the vertical lines where the joints are.

I then troweled on Bondo over the finished piece and sprayed it with Fleck Paint. It looks like it weighs a ton, but it's really light. This one was affectionately named Bondomoai!

This one was carved from Eucalyptus which can be difficult. It's hard wood, and most pieces that I come across are split so bad that they are unusable. This one is named Ali'i (Chief).

Another piece carved from Eucalyptus. It's 18" high, named Lanakila which means Victory. (The victory being mine in that I finally finished it!)

My love for Kona style and Coco Joe's must be showing by now.

Aikane (Friend) here was carved from a hard piece of HBX2 clay. HBX2 is used for auto body and auto part prototypes. I had designed this piece to be slip cast so I was careful not to have any undercuts. I ended up just casting it in resin. It's about 4" tall.

This is the project I am currently working on. I started this carving at Mieko's Chop-Chop. It's my first real attempt at palm wood.

The wood is still a little wet inside and at first I thought I had escaped any cracking, but a few showed up later. Some cracks are okay though. I believe it was AlohaStation who wrote "Worry about the crack when the plumber comes over."

Thanks for looking. I'll post more shots later.

[ This Message was edited by: Bowana 2010-10-26 17:23 ]

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-01-04 9:07 pm   Permalink

Very Nice, great style.
How tall is the eucalyptus one?

Tahitiki

[ This Message was edited by: Tahitiki 2007-01-04 21:10 ]

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 9:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks Tahitiki. Wow, I just this moment posted on your thread!

The Eucalypus carvings are 14" (Ali'i), and 18" (Lanakila). Where do you get your Euc wood?

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 9:27 pm   Permalink

Dav! Nice work. Coincidentally, I just bumped up your other thread before I noticed this one. The Meiko chop-chop carving looks great, and I just wanted to point out that I carved two ends of it with my chainsaw. The rest looks pretty good too.

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 9:33 pm   Permalink

Wonderful things in the Carv-O-Copia. Great attention to detail and love the style.
How long you been doing this?

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 06:34 am   Permalink

Nice stuff dave!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 06:39 am   Permalink

TDav, You have posted some Excellent tikis here and using some very difficult woods. I can see you are Really into Clean, Crisp detail and your pieces are about as Perfect as they can be. Your Moai is top knotch as are all the rest on down the line. You have put a smile on my face today!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 08:54 am   Permalink

Thanks guys.

Aaron: Good to hear from ya! Yes, you did a fabulous job with the chainsaw too! How is your Moai from the Chop-Chop going? Have you posted any pictures of it? I've been looking around using the search but have not found anything.

The Hula girl has been re-molded, but I've put it all aside for now. Getting a little bored with it. I don't know if you saw this continuation thread or not
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21904&forum=18&27

Congatiki: I have been sculpting and carving since before I can even remember. I got into Tiki carving maybe 8 or 9 years ago.

Tikigap: Thank you!

Benz: It's about time I posted some more actual carvings! Glad I was able to put a smile on your face. Now we are even!

Here's a couple more:

This is one of my first Moais. I carved it out of an old 4X4 redwood fencepost. I had no idea that the two tone coloring was going to happen. A nice surprise though. It's 11" tall.

This is Huhu (anger). 19" of pine wood rage! The finish is shoe polish believe it or not.

Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 5:12 pm   Permalink

EXCELLENT carves Tikidav- great detail and character in each one..

Oh yeah- Bondo RULES!

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 6:12 pm   Permalink

hey man looks great! i REALLY like the one you are curently working on. MAN do i need to get my hands on some palm wood.
really like the teeth on that guy too.

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 10:41 pm   Permalink

Man, you are a superb carver. Nice work.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 01:13 am   Permalink

Man, you are a wonderful carver.
I love the shoe polish finishing it's just amazing.
Very good work on the carving you begun on Mieko's chop-chop, can't wait to see more.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 05:02 am   Permalink

Top shelf! I love the kona style as well. Do you have any in-progress shots?
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 08:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-05 08:54, Tikidav wrote:

Aaron: Good to hear from ya! Yes, you did a fabulous job with the chainsaw too! How is your Moai from the Chop-Chop going? Have you posted any pictures of it? I've been looking around using the search but have not found anything.

Hah! Yes, always glad to take credit for my contribution of 2 chainsaw cuts. It was a lot of hard work, man.

Carving time's been tight for me. I did manage to get one more carving session in after the chop-chop mostly with the chainsaw and the Lancelot. So you can imagine that's it's still pretty rough looking, but moving in the right direction. I think I need at least one more session before I can before I can share progress.

Where am I now? At work... on a Saturday. Shit!

Cheers,

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 10:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-04 21:04, Tikidav wrote:
The wood is still a little wet inside and at first I thought I had escaped any cracking, but a few showed up later.

Now you just have to wait for the mold/mildew stage. Probably about another 10 days or so...
It will only be a problem if you are planning on keeping that "tooled" look to the finish, rather han sanding it. After the mold dies/dries, it sands off easily, but it stains about a 1/16" to an 1/8" deep. Just thought I'd warn you...Happens frequently, usually about a week or so after carving it with this type of log.

Buzzy

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation