FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiki Gardens, Indian Rocks Beach/Indian Shores, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki Gardens, Indian Rocks Beach/Indian Shores, FL (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-06 8:38 pm   Permalink

A nice little ad for Trader Franks at Tiki Gardens.

A couple of very cool menu covers.

And an old photo of the entrance.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-10 4:53 pm   Permalink

there's a beach access there now, actually marked as "tiki gardens"...

I've been trying to reach the proper person at the parks & rec dept to find out about doing a big tiki there...

so far no response...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-16 5:38 pm   Permalink

Found this ad from the 1960s...

Official St Petersburg Weekly Guide April 27, 1962

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hotworks

Posted: 2012-10-08 3:51 pm   Permalink

I was born in Pinellas Co, and remember going to Tiki Gardens as a little kid, around 1972. I think the food was fairly pricey, since even though I wanted to eat there, all I can remember doing was walking around the gardens. Seems like it was always dark when I was there. I remember burning torches, lots of plants, and what seemed like really big Tikis.

View Profile of hotworks Send a personal message to hotworks  Goto the website of hotworks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-11 10:58 am   Permalink

Tiki Gardens ashtray

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-07 4:23 pm   Permalink

A few more news wire photos ...

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-10 1:51 pm   Permalink

the sad thing is, I tried to find the contact person out there in Pinellas county, so that I could talk to them about doing a tiki there and just got the run-around...

hell, I didn't even care about making money on the deal...just wanted to do my part to keep the culture & history alive.

kind of a bummer...

if anyone knows how to get this done or knows who to contact, let me know. I make a living making and selling tikis right here in the Tampa - St Pete - Clearwater area, and I'd be happy to offer my services in order to honor & preserve local tiki history.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-06-17 4:48 pm   Permalink

I spotted this photo on retro-space's Flickr site with Miss Tiki Gardens in it. I wonder if she was representing this one or some other tiki garden?

from
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33158682@N06/8755948462/

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 7:56 pm   Permalink

Interesting in this random restaurant advertising are three wonderful tiki landmarks of St. Pete past. Tiki Gardens, the Kono Kai (with "Taiwan dinner for two"!) and the incredible Sand Dollar, which was loaded with Witco.

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 8:27 pm   Permalink

It always felt to us that Tiki Gardens was among the major tiki sites in the country, if not the world. A restaurant, multiple bars, huge gift shop, multiple buildings, parkground and elaborate gardens, entertainment and shows ... it simply had everything. Including giant tikis.

But it doesn't seem to come up in conversation as often as Don the Beachcomber, Trader Vics and other first and second wave tiki landmarks. Wondering why that is, we think it may be because Tiki Gardens closed and was demolished so long ago. It seems it just missed the tiki revival by a handful of years. Even the Kahiki got to see the boom years of the Cocktail Nation.

Also interesting is that, although Tiki Gardens closed long before the age of digital photography, there seem to be a multitude of photographs out there of the place. Try finding an interior shot of the Wreck Bar at the Castaways---aside from one of the two known postcard images, that is. Even the Kahiki, which lasted a little more than a decade longer than TG, seems to be poorly documented online. You can find almost no photographs of the Kahiki interior online aside from the few "official" press photos and scans of brochures and postcards. There are plenty of pictures of Kahiki mugs, but views of the actual building and interior over the years? Not so many. I guess my point here, with the "Lost legends" thread still lingering in my mind, is that we have a great ability now with our equipment and technology and should not take it for granted.

The Tiki Gardens fire sale / auction was on the morning of June 9, 1990, more than ten years before Tiki Central came into being. Before there even was a single WorldWideWeb terminal in a computer lab in Switzerland. Clearly the dark ages. But even so, there must be some people on here who were "into" tiki at the time. And there must be some Floridians on here who were around at the time. We wonder what happened to all the stuff ... the four winds, yes, but some of that should be blowing its way into here. This thread has been active for six years, and it somehow seems surprising to me now that nobody ever came in here to post that "my neighbor ended up with a table and set of chairs from Trader Frank's" or "you can see Lono now up in Clearwater in this guy's backyard" or "I was at the auction and wish I would've spent the extra to snag X," or whatever. What happened to all the big stuff, the huge tikis, who bought them? Probably a restaurant or some business would have bought them, but whoever did ... you would think that it would be known, the info would be out there. In this case, it seems like nobody seems to know what happened to any of it.

[ This Message was edited by: mike and marie 2013-08-22 20:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mike and marie 2013-08-22 20:30 ]

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 11:34 am   Permalink

Well, things are starting to look good,,,

I have finally made contact with a person in the local parks department who liked my idea of doing a few tikis at the old tiki gardens site, which is now a Beach Access,,,,

And I just got an e-mail from him saying my offer has been well received with the "HIGHER UPS",,, and they are putting an agreement together.

So bottom line: Looks like I'm the guy who's gonna bring tikis back to tiki gardens.

I saw there was a thread here before where a bunch of people were trying to get it done, and there were arguments over money, etc, and it never happened. Well, I intend to make it happen.

This thread is helpful, as I'm thinking I'd like to recreate one or 2 of the old pieces, as wall as something a little more complex, like a lono or something...

Obviously I'm open for input...

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 9:38 pm   Permalink

That's great news, keep up the good work, one Tiki at a time. It's one Tiki more than generic blandness!

Keep us posted!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-10-22 10:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-22 11:34, pjc5150 wrote:

Obviously I'm open for input...

Okay, here's mine. Stick to your vision because from my perspective, you know what you're doing and you do it well. Congrats!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 10:41 pm   Permalink

Everytime I revisit this thread, I feel like I missed out on something very special. Kind of how I feel about the upcoming loss of the International Marketplace in Waikiki. Well, I've been enjoying the Int'l Markeplace for decades, but I never had a chance to see Tiki Gardens... But I can dream.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 06:23 am   Permalink

well, ok.

the city parks people sent me a sample agreement that they typically have artists for public works projects, and so far there doesn't seem to be anything in there that is a deal-breaker for me.

so everything is looking good.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation