FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Can you ID this TIKI?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Can you ID this TIKI?
Thunderlips
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 06:39 am   Permalink

I got this guy for Christmas. He's ceramic, a little over 7"s tall with no label, signature, nada, and came from a flea market. I've a hunch it was mass-produced and not someone's pottery class project. Any clues? The giver and the giftee are very curious. Thanks!

View Profile of Thunderlips Send a personal message to Thunderlips  Goto the website of Thunderlips     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 06:58 am   Permalink

NACO or something like that. saw one the other day . looked and felt a little cheap to me. kind of a rough surface.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 10:30 am   Permalink

Hey Thunderlips,
There was discussion of this guy a while back... Lots of speculation as to what the depression in the back of the head was for.
I tried searching for the thread but sorry, I'm a little fuzzy on the details of the last thread. Hopefully someone else might remeber and dig it up.
A nice find/gift for you though!
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 1:24 pm   Permalink

A couple of pics of a Ku wall hanger I have. 7" tall 3 1/2" wide. Made by NAPCO ceramics of Japan. Almost the same type of depression in the back. May have been a way to cut down on production cost by having less material in the mold. Just a guess but may help to look up some info on the web. Great find.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 2:35 pm   Permalink

yep ,thats it NAPCO,saw the same tiki with the same sticker in toledo antique mall the other day.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 2:38 pm   Permalink

The face is very reminiscent of the Johnny Sens Tiki Mug.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thunderlips
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 3:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks a lot for the info. Nice to know so many good folks are on the case!

View Profile of Thunderlips Send a personal message to Thunderlips  Goto the website of Thunderlips     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 4:45 pm   Permalink

& yet another version even more like the Johnny Sens mug.

Tikisgrl

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijaksin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 06:05 am   Permalink

For what it's worth i think this tiki is also in the Book "Hula dancers and tiki gods" with a little write up on em. well i'll go back to my hole now

Kreepytiki

View Profile of tikijaksin Send a personal message to tikijaksin  Email tikijaksin Goto the website of tikijaksin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tomanikitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-15 10:03 am   Permalink

While we're trying to ID tiki's how about this one? It seems to me maybe it's a souvenir that candy or nuts came in. It's black glazed ceramic no glaze or markings on the bottom. Dual faced, with a removable fitted hat/lid.

View Profile of tomanikitiki Send a personal message to tomanikitiki  Email tomanikitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
brokeassbuilder
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-21 10:48 pm   Permalink

picked this up today any one have an idea if it is hawaiian? ive seen this style of face before just not sure where?

View Profile of brokeassbuilder Send a personal message to brokeassbuilder  Email brokeassbuilder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tomanikitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-22 5:40 pm   Permalink

Looks familiar to me too, last time I saw that face was a nightmare about Clowns

View Profile of tomanikitiki Send a personal message to tomanikitiki  Email tomanikitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-01-22 7:58 pm   Permalink

Looks like Toby design mug gone wrong. Hello Dali!

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 10:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-21 22:48, brokeassbuilder wrote:
picked this up today any one have an idea if it is hawaiian? ive seen this style of face before just not sure where?

That looks more like an
Iroquois "False Face" mask than a Tiki.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 10:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-15 10:03, tomanikitiki wrote:
While we're trying to ID tiki's how about this one? It seems to me maybe it's a souvenir that candy or nuts came in. It's black glazed ceramic no glaze or markings on the bottom. Dual faced, with a removable fitted hat/lid.

It looks like an Indonesian variation on the Disney Polynesian Village Two-Faced Tiki? I like the lid and wider base on yours.

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/pictures.cgi?mode=gallery&mug_id=787

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation