[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food My Little Black Book
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
My Little Black Book
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 10:37 am   Permalink

In the past that would mean something a bit different from todays question......

How many of you Mix Monkeys out there have a Little Black Book?

I am not asking you to share what secrets are inside of your books, I am just trying to figure out how big of a drink-geek I really am. And, yes, keeping a list in your Palm Pilot counts....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 11:08 am   Permalink

Thats probably a better idea than my word document file of drink recipes. You reminded me of a few years ago when my hard drive crashed and I lost all of my food and drink recipes some of which I have been able to replace but others lost forever. Now I have a backup but a book or notebook with printed docs is a good idea. Thanks

Life is a state of mind

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 4:11 pm   Permalink

Yup - I've got a book of spiral bound index cards with drink recipes that I can easily carry to parties in a pocket. The only problem is that I write down drinks as I come across them, so my book is a jumble of tiki, vintage, and contemporary cocktails, requiring me to flip through the cards to find a particular drink. Would be nice to have something that's sortable.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 06:33 am   Permalink

I just write in my Berry books. I have extra recipes on the end pages. I used to have post-it notes on my Grog Log, but I scribbled them on the inside. I also transcribed the Word docs to the book, cuz who can go turn on the computer when you need Basement Kahuna's Black Magic at 1 AM on New Year's Eve?

Chip, we're geeks of a different feather. The Grogalizer wasn't something I did for all to swarm on my site. I did it just for me. Then I realized other people would want to use it.

I have been called "anal retentive" before. I just tell them it is a lot better than "anal expulsive."

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 09:51 am   Permalink

No black book here. I grade all recipes I've tried from my various books and write that on the recipe page in the book. All A and B grades go in a Word doc I print out for reference. As for those recipes and articles not in my books, they're in a large stack of papers behind my bar waiting to get put into a 3 ring binder. If I had more time to spend behind the bar concocting original creations, I'd probably use a little black book (does it have to be black?) to store my secret experiments. And I'd get an assistant named Igor (oh, sorry, that's EYE-gor).

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 10:41 am   Permalink

I have a Filemaker pro data base I keep my drinks in.
By barguide is a printout of my database in a 3-ring binder.

Click here and you can download a copy of my
Tiki Bar Guide and while you are at it download the Cover I use on my 3-ring binder.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 12:37 pm   Permalink

I've got a red one that I use for all recipes that I've worked with including drinks. I started this last year after I couldn't figured what I did to a brownie recipe to get it just right. And it beats having scores of printed pages from the internet with my notes on those.

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 1:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-08 12:37, sporkboyofjustice wrote:
I've got a red one that I use for all recipes that I've worked with including drinks. I started this last year after I couldn't figured what I did to a brownie recipe to get it just right. And it beats having scores of printed pages from the internet with my notes on those.

I invite you to use
The Grogalizer and share your notes on drinks with everyone.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 2:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-08 09:51, GatorRob wrote:
... I'd probably use a little black book (does it have to be black?) to store my secret experiments. And I'd get an assistant named Igor.

No, it doesn't have to actually be black.... But I think you are obligated to call it a 'black book' regardless of the actual color. Sporkboy uses Red, Beachbum Berry has somthing that looks metallic (aluminum case?) in something close to gunmetal grey..... who else wants to fess-up to your drink geek-ness? Come on, you know who you are.......

And as for assistants, I'll take Inga over Igor any day!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 2:18 pm   Permalink

At first,I didn't write down recipes. As it turns out, though, people really seem to dig my drinks, so now I'm going back and writing my more promising experiments down and then transferring to The Lund Manor Black Book when they play to rave reviews.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 09:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-08 14:09, Chip and Andy wrote:
And as for assistants, I'll take Inga over Igor any day!

Yes, what knockers!

I was going to go there, but figured the reference was too obscure for most normal people. But, as you are probably aware, most of us on TC are Abby Normal...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 5:33 pm   Permalink

I guess I would fall into the Abby Normal category myself as that quote made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that.

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-30 10:07 am   Permalink

I decided I needed to keep track of some drink recipes I'd scribbled down here and there. I went to our local Bookstar (owned by Barnes & Noble) and picked up the perfect journal -- spiral bound and the cover front and back is a beautiful photo of a tropical beach scene.

I have this weird ass fantasy that someday many moons from now after I'm dead and gone, someone will be poking around in a thrift store and find my book and I'll be the source of some great tiki bar in the 2090s.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-31 10:09 pm   Permalink

I knew I was getting serious with my lab experiments when I started keeping notes and writing down recipes with grades.

My "black book" is a Zip-Lock bag with 4x6 index cards. I write BIG so I can just glance over from my work area to see what to add next. Eventually these will all end up in a database and then I'll print them any size I want, as needed. But for now I enjoy feeling like a sorceress as I sit down to carefully inscribe new potions into my grimoire...

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Bamboo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-01 06:00 am   Permalink

Since I'm a relative newbie to the mixology scene, I haven't arrived at a full-on system yet. I have a small collection of various-sized scraps of paper tucked into assorted bar guides. Someday I'll get on the stick and put everything in a binder, notebook, etc.

Yeah, someday...maybe tomorrow...right after a nice Mai Tai or two. I'll get to it then

View Profile of Dr. Bamboo Send a personal message to Dr. Bamboo  Goto the website of Dr. Bamboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation