FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars VampTiki Lounge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
VampTiki Lounge
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-27 3:04 pm   Permalink

Who did that Tiki?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
simplydlacruz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-28 8:25 pm   Permalink

VRN that tiki is amazing! I like the old school radio too. How crazy is it that that's how big radio's used to be. Anyway I'm getting off topic, I just wanted to let you know that the tiki is very cool.

Hawaiian Decals & Stickers
Hawaiian Jokes

View Profile of simplydlacruz Send a personal message to simplydlacruz  Goto the website of simplydlacruz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-28 10:24 pm   Permalink

I am very blessed to have my beautiful girl Tiki. The wonderfully talented 4WDtiki(Bill) carved that Tiki. He did an awesome job and the tattoos are indeed the crowning glory. She is 5 1/2 ft tall and posts guard right inside my front door as you enter the lounge. Bill used to live in Vista, Ca but he lives in Kauai now (lucky dawg)...shout out to ya Bill!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-29 03:31 am   Permalink

touch-a touch-a touch-a touch me
i wanna be dirty
thrill me, chill me, fulfill me
creature of the night

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-15 11:53 am   Permalink

I am having a contractor come to check out the VampTiki Lounge on Monday, as I need to get my ceiling done within the next few weeks. I have an email out to the local Ohana about their thoughts on engineering this project, so thought I would ask here too. Since I have visions in my head, plenty of resources to pictures on Tiki Central and a passion for decorating I should be able to help the contractor understand the basics about what I want...tapa on ceiling, suspended bamboo grid and hanging of various items. I'm sure he won't know about Tiki but I think I can help him understand the genre and he seems very open to the project. What I don't know about is the engineering of this work.

1. Where can we get bamboo in the Sacramento area?
2. How do you tie the bamboo grid together and how do you hang it?
3. What is the best way to place the tapa on the ceiling....although I hate to have that huge piece cut up, is that the best way to do it (in squares)...just totally lost on this aspect?
4. How do you secure the tapa to the ceiling?

I am open to suggestions on how to get it done (tapa cut and placed on frames to mount on the ceiling and how would you do that, or whatever). The tapa might be too much as one big piece. The lounge ceiling is 14 feet high and I do not have scaffolding so might need to rent that but think the contractor will be able to take care of that. I have items I want to have hung (1 chunk lamp, 1 glass float lamp, 1 giant personalized swizzle stick, etc.). Want a bamboo grid to hang down about a half a foot from the ceiling. I also want to have options built in to hang other items in the future.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I have viewed home lounges on this board for years so not worried about the design aspect. HEY...girlie here...no mechanical skills!!! Make suggestions, post some links to helpful information, or send me a pm if you don't want to post here. My ceiling is NOT white...it is more of a "almond" so if any of the ceiling shows it truly will not be a travesty. THANX

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-15 12:09 pm   Permalink

It sounds like a job for Bamboo Ben, What is your budget for the job?
maybe you can make it worth his time to come up to you?

This is not the kind of work most contractors know how to do, When I was explaining
what I wanted to do in the "Atomic Tiki Lounge" to a couple of hired contractors
who were doing standard (non Tiki) work at my house, They just looked at me like I was crazy.

Ben is the Man for the job.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-15 12:30 pm   Permalink

Yes...Ben knows about my ceiling needs, but think he may be pretty busy and I am not close by. I'm rather in a pinch for time now and hoping I won't drain my bank account. Not totally thrilled with an unknown but since I can't do this myself I need suggestions and will just have to go with somebody that can build and follow my directions.

Mariner
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-06-15 2:50 pm   Permalink

Hey Vamp,
You've really been working hard. I just love it. Can't wait to see the final reveal!
See you at TO12

View Profile of Mariner Send a personal message to Mariner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-22 08:42 am   Permalink

Best Wishes for your ceiling girlfriend, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-22 9:54 pm   Permalink

there's a place in sacramento called Builders Surplus out on power in rd. they've got a ton of 1'' bamboo that there practically giving away. 10 bucks will get you a bundle of about 30 8 ft poles or you can buy it by the pallet for 99 bucks.
it's been out in the weather and isn't the best syuff around but for the price it's hard to beat. i bought some to see if i could clean it up for outdoor tiki bar.
-k-

View Profile of muskrat Send a personal message to muskrat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-23 2:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the feedback folks. I met with the contractor and he has never done any work like this but is game to do it and was very open to viewing pictures I showed him and trying to embrace the whole Tiki genre. He is going to mount my big Tiki in the corner of the dining room and seems to think that will be a very easy job for him. He is slightly perplexed by the Tapa on the ceiling so I am trying to find out as much as I can to share with him. I am sharing PTD's post about his ceiling, although that is Tapa suspended on a bamboo frame and I want to have my Tapa glued to the ceiling.

If anyone has glued Tapa to their ceiling, please let me know how that went and if you have a post with pictures, please link me up. Much appreciated.

He said he will have to pull everything out of the room to set up the scaffolding for the job. That includes the fridge, so it will be a perfect opportunity to paint that. Is it OK if I just go with the paint that was used on the walls?

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-23 2:30 pm   Permalink

Pictures Girl! take em, post em, own em!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-23 8:15 pm   Permalink

Cant wait to c the new stuff

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-01 8:20 pm   Permalink

I've been researching what to do to my white fridge and sounds like painting is not a reasonable option, but gluing something on it would be. The fridge sits in a corner so only one side and the front show.

OPTION #1 = Randomly glue post cards all over it. I love how that looks on a bar top.

OPTION #2 = Glue fabric to it.

OPTION #3 = Glue some kind of raffia or similar matting to it.

Any feedback or links would be greatly appreciated.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-01 9:15 pm   Permalink

Sounds like a Mad Dog Mike project...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation