FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Bar Restoration
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Bar Restoration
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 3:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-09 18:57, Lonepalm77 wrote:
It's in sad shape,

I agree! It is in sad shape. I can come up and take it of your hands around 10am tomorrow. You do not even have to pay me. I'll just use it as fire wood.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lonepalm77

Posted: 2007-01-10 4:16 pm   Permalink

Wow! Mahalo for the extra info....the patent website that I found only had 1/2 of the drawing and no text.

The one thing that struck me about the bar first and foremost (aside from its WEIGHT) is how COMFORTABLE it is when you belly up to it. The arms rest perfectly in the smooth wavy notches in the bar top. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Or is ship hatch furniture generally unique as a rule? If it is from the tiki heyday, I'm almost wondering if it was kept inside for many years...the rope hasn't rotted away at all, and I doubt the stools have been reupholstered. The material is holding on strong and not falling apart. They're still mostly fluffy and comfy, but are pretty dirty.

Could it be a more recent piece? I still haven't been able to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

View Profile of Lonepalm77 Send a personal message to Lonepalm77      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lonepalm77

Posted: 2007-01-10 4:24 pm   Permalink

[/quote]

I agree! It is in sad shape. I can come up and take it of your hands around 10am tomorrow. You do not even have to pay me. I'll just use it as fire wood.

[/quote]

Oooo.....good idea. I was hoping to get it restored for a luau we're having in July, but if that fails I'll just throw it in the smoker to flavor our kalua piggy (no imu at our house, bummer). I wonder how many pigs we can smoke before we run out of wood? Hmmm......imagine the lacquer flavor. Yum!

View Profile of Lonepalm77 Send a personal message to Lonepalm77      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 4:55 pm   Permalink

inventor . . . harry cocks

you just can't make up comedy gold like that.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 5:21 pm   Permalink

That's what she said...
Ha, ha.
(My favorite joke)

Unfunny Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 8:10 pm   Permalink

So just out of curiosity...... I recognize that it is a vintage bar of vintage pieces and certainly a nautical piece.... but is it Tiki? Is it Polynesia? Maybe I'm just splitting hairs, but honestly I'm just trying to learn more about "tiki" and appealing to all those with more knowledge. it's actually probably subjective and crosses over genre.

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 8:14 pm   Permalink

it will fit in to a tiki bar just fine.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 02:29 am   Permalink

The Romance of a Seafaring Adventure is part of the Mid-Century PolyPop experience, for sure!

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-11 10:02 am   Permalink

In the light of day the Kahiki stuff looked
sad too. But when put in a low light
tiki mood environment. It looks great!
That's what the new tiki bars are missing
the many years of dust, smoke, scuffs.

I would not do anything.
Maybe revarnish the top only.

Cool bar! I wonder if this could
be a Ely hedley peice?
Never know.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 12:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-11 02:29, Haole'akamai wrote:
The Romance of a Seafaring Adventure is part of the Mid-Century PolyPop experience, for sure!

Agreed. Nautical elements were very popular in vintage Poly Pop bars. For example, the Kon Tiki Ports, the Wreck Bar in the Yankee Clipper, or cream of the crop, the Molokai Bar at the Mai Kai (the last of the great tiki temples). If you go back and look at the recent Hukilau pics that were taken at the Mai Kai in the bar, they are ALL nautical.

Zulu

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lonepalm77

Posted: 2007-04-07 4:24 pm   Permalink

Who would have thought? A sad tiki bar that's been neglected for years has been touched by Bamboo Ben, and he certainly worked his magic on it! I have yet to see it personally, but I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the picture he emailed to me today. I'm looking forward to picking it up. He says it's a bad picture of it and it looks better in person. I can't even begin to imagine.....

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-08 01:34 am   Permalink

It looks like you have 2 major possibilities. 1) If u take the antique don't harm the original finish approach then you can just live with the weathered areas and get an antique restorer to keep the OG finish intact and stabilize the weathered parts from deteriorating further. 2) You can retouch and refinish the weathered areas and/or the rest of the bar. It looks like a 1 off custom piece from the 1960's era. If a restoration/refinish is done well I don't think it's gonna hurt the value much, if at all, as we're not talking about a 1920's designer craftsmen rocker, as a 1 off, no one will know exactly how it was "supposed" to look or be finished straight from the factory.. The only major factor is whether you want to leave the original finish in areas where it's intact an have the whole thing possibly not match exactly or refinish the whole bar an' have it look "new"/match exactly all over.

edit, duh missed the last few posts somehow, whoops, nice resto' job Bamboo Ben!

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-10 05:08 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lonepalm77

Posted: 2007-04-08 06:44 am   Permalink

It's already been restored, the last picture I posted was "after", the ratty ones at the beginning of the post (first page) are the "before" pictures. It's been sanded and completely refinished, which is truly what had to be done to make it functional as an outdoor bar (we're still tossed up, we don't know if we should keep it inside or put it poolside). It will last MUCH longer with the new coats of varnish it has, and it will protect it from the many spilled drinks that the future holds for it! I'll post more pics as soon as we get it back.

Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-08 09:31 am   Permalink

Lonepalm,

You lucky SOB!! That looks fabulous! (Not that this is a democratic decision, but) I vote for putting inside; it will have its New Car Smell for so much longer. Of course, if you decide outside is where it needs to be, might I suggest you put it "up on blocks" and cover it tight with a tarp when not in use?

Congrats, again.

~T

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-08 12:38 pm   Permalink

It sure turned out nice and now you need to set it up in your house and start pouring....that will give it some character. Are ya goin' nautical?

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation