Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Lap style Surfboard Guitar
Lap style Surfboard Guitar
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 5:39 pm   Permalink

This was built by a guy on the Aussie hot rod site I am on, thought people would dig it. I love it myself, not 100% tiki, but 100% kool!

Quote:
I was asked to build a guitar for a display at the Australian Surf Museum down in Torquay. I made it from Jellatong with a myrtle stringer down the guts. It weighs virtually nothing,but has a lot of sustain and tone.
It's played lap style. Theres a single Danelectro lipstick tube pick up under the chrome cover.
It's the first completely scratchbuilt guitar I've done for seven years, It got me off my arse and back into building,which is cool.
I'm building a couple more at the moment,one to keep and the other for a mate. The one I'm keeping will be getting pinstriped. The other will get Hawiian style stencils of palm trees and stuff.
I'm doing a Tele style thing and a 57 LP junior copy as well.

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2007-01-08 17:41 ]

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 7:35 pm   Permalink

Love all of the surfboard design drawings on the wall. I have a bunch of cool board art designs I ve done over the years. I'm always submitting to long board magazine to see if I can win a new board, even though I LOVE the board Ive got.
Its a Greg Knoll custom tri fin 9 ft. Dawn

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 7:39 pm   Permalink

Just sent these pix to my bud who's a board shaper and guitarist. I'm sure he'll call me as soon as his wife administers the smelling salts.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 7:40 pm   Permalink

That is cool!
How does it sound?

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 09:10 am   Permalink

I was about to aks about the sound as well. I looks very cool, If I had any musicall talent I'd be begging for one. As is I'm only lusting after it and putting learnig more than the three chords (that don't go together) that I know on my things to do before I die list.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 09:13 am   Permalink

AWESOME, Hewey! Has Bong seen this yet?
When are you making the pedal version that converts to an ironing board?

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 2:47 pm   Permalink

Very cool hewey - I'll bet if he builds one and paints it a metalflake, it would go over great as well. I almost bought one one time - it was a 1952 Fender lap steel with mother of pearl finish on it. Thanks for posting this!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanekila
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 4:56 pm   Permalink

OMG hewey -- that is the coolest lapsteel I've seen yet. Seems as though it might be a bit unwieldy on the lap, but then one doesn't know until one tries it out. How's it play/sound!?

I have to show this to some kats I know...

TJW

View Profile of Kanekila Send a personal message to Kanekila  Email Kanekila Goto the website of Kanekila     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 7:02 pm   Permalink

Im going to PM him to find out how it sounds...

Very sweet indeed

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 8:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

It sounds really good. It's has a bright tone,but a lot of sustain. Not as fat as say, an early Gibson lap,but not as top endy as a Fender. It's like the bridge/middle combination position on a Strat. A lot of top,but doesn't tear your head off.

Oh yeh, he's also contemplating a tiki based one too

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2007-01-09 23:38 ]

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation