[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music robert drasnin's voodoo 2
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
robert drasnin's voodoo 2
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 8:04 pm   Permalink

Yeah DJ Bonebrake makes it all that more excellent.
I have sen him play vibes with 2 of his bands,
the Syncopators, and Orchestra Superstring.

Cant wait till this comes out.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-23 01:07 am   Permalink

He was a really nice guy too.

We sat around and shot the breeze during the lunch break on the second day of recording.

Good mallet player also.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-23 1:29 pm   Permalink

I was pleasantly surprised to see DJ involved with the Voodoo sessions. X was one of the first punk bands I saw live in the early 80's - bands like that never appeared in my college town, so we had to roadtrip 2 hours to Madison to see the show. In a way, D.J.'s path from punk band to exotica music sessions parallels my own personal listening preferences.

Another reason for surprise. Punk musicians generally had a reputation of being untrained musically, as a do-it-yourself attitude and raw emotions were considered to be more authentic than skilled musicianship. There are plenty of drummers who are unable to read or play the mallet instruments. I myself was a percussionist in high school - I mostly played various drums, tympani, and other instruments that you hit singularly, without actually having to learn the musical scales. Playing a marimba and xylophone were thus way beyond my skill level -- and others in my high school band percussion section were limited in the same way.

So seeing D.J. Bonebrake playing the mallets was really cool. Not only has he transitioned to exotica, but he turns out to be a real percussionist and musician, and not some guy who used used to simply banged the drums in a punk band.

Finally, I always liked how DJ Bonebrake shared the same 'DJ' initials as Elvis's drummer, D.J. Fontana.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 11:29 am   Permalink

Last call for level 1 or 2 donations - they're closing tomorrow around noon.

The record is done.

It sounds great.

No chance of it 'not happening' now...

Details are here:

http://www.robertdrasnin.com/voodoo2.html

and here:

http://www.myspace.com/drasnin

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2007-02-28 23:02 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
new2tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-18 6:46 pm   Permalink

Any word on a release date for this yet?

Scott

View Profile of new2tiki Send a personal message to new2tiki  Email new2tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 02:07 am   Permalink

May 2007!!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
new2tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-19 2:11 pm   Permalink

Sweet! Thanks for the info!

Can't wait....to see my name in print! Much like Navin Johnson, I'll finally "Be Somebody!"

Scott

View Profile of new2tiki Send a personal message to new2tiki  Email new2tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 09:25 am   Permalink

I am *soooooooo* excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does it GET any cooler than to get to do the live show world debut of these songs at the next Hukilau!? (We got to do 5 of them at the last Drasnin Hukilau, but to get to the WHOLE NEW ALBUM's WORTH?!?!)

Still pinching myself 'til I bruise,
alice b

(And hugely crossing my fingers that maybe D.J. will get to to this show, unlike last time when the Knitters' tour precluded it, dagnabbit.)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 10:37 am   Permalink

I can't wait to see you perform again Formakahini!!! You were so great at the 2005 Hukilau. You actually gave me goosebumps!!!

Yma Sumac liked it too!!!

See you soon!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 9:01 pm   Permalink

I cant beleive that many people do not have VooDoo the 1st one on cd?
Hello??? thats a crime.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation