FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food In search of: Black Magic!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
In search of: Black Magic!
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 12:46 pm   Permalink

Does anyone have a good (mai-kai-like?) Black Magic recipe that they'd be willing to share with me? I've been searching for a while, and I only have found the black-russin-like black magic. Not the delicious one like at the Mai Kai.

Thanks in advance!

GAP

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 1:12 pm   Permalink

You know who you need to talk to... He made it for us once before...

I have asked if I can share his recipes through the Grogalizer and he has remained strangely silent on the matter...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 1:40 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I PM'd him last week and have heard nothing. I also noticed he hasn't posted here in a while... (6 days). hmmm.

Hey by the way! Thanks for the Grogalizer - its the first time I've seen that! Very handy indeed!

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2007-01-11 13:47 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-12 05:40 am   Permalink

Keep in mind that some things take a lot of time, effort and (often) money to acquire. Some people are willing to give those treasures away while others prefer to hold it close to the vest for their own personal reasons. Maybe it's best not to begrudge their decision either way.

And just remember that when we get to heaven, we'll all find out what's in a Black Magic! But is there a well stocked tiki bar in heaven? Hmmmm...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-12 11:03 am   Permalink

Heaven is a well-stocked tiki bar! I'm hopeing to go to the Mai Kai when I pass on.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-12 11:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-12 11:03, PiPhiRho wrote:
Heaven is a well-stocked tiki bar! I'm hopeing to go to the Mai Kai when I pass on.

Mai Kai Circa 1966, yes.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-12 1:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-12 11:03, PiPhiRho wrote:
I'm hopeing to go to the Mai Kai when I pass on.

If you wait that long, you'll miss happy hour.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 1:10 pm   Permalink

Did anyone ever figure this one out? It's my favorite at the Mai Kai.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 1:28 pm   Permalink

Black Magic I don't have.

However, you might like to try my "Dark Magic," currently on the menu at Thatch, here in Portland:

Dark Magic
----------
1 oz lime juice
1/2 oz pineapple juice
1/2 oz coffee syrup
1/4 oz passion fruit syrup
1/4 oz vanilla syrup
2 oz Coruba
dash bitters
eight drops Herbsaint (pernod if you must)

Shake with 6oz crushed ice and pour into Hurricane glass or Snifter, garnish w/ mint and lime wheel(s).

(you can also pulse in 5-6 one second burst in a blender with 6oz ice)
TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 1:51 pm   Permalink

Hi Craig,

Can you recommend a coffee syrup or a link to a recipe? The Dark Magic sounds delish!

Thank you!

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 1:59 pm   Permalink

I have found no good coffee syrups on the market.
Here's my coffee syrup recipe (I make about 1/2 gallon at a time):

Brew a half-pot of good medium-roast, high body coffee using a full pot's worth of fresh ground beans.
4 cups strong coffee
8 cups sugar
Add the sugar to the hot coffee in a saucepot. Bring to a boil and let bubble for 15 seconds, remove from heat and stir.

TL;DR version: 2 sugar : 1 strong coffee

p.s. if you make the coffee the day before, all the better. The top notes that disappear when coffee goes sitting aren't wanted in this syrup, just those lovely dark, rich 'bottom' bass notes.

p.p.s this is also a great use for that coffee you make in the morning and you have to toss when you get home from work

[ This Message was edited by: Melintur 2010-05-11 14:00 ]

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 2:08 pm   Permalink

Thank you!!!

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 2:35 pm   Permalink

Melintur is required to bring Dark Magic premixed in quart sized Mason jars to all of our parties, ideally there should be one I can hide for future use! This is a huge favorite around these parts!

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 2:40 pm   Permalink

addendum:

High Falutin' version: Replace 2oz Coruba with (1oz Smith & Cross, 1oz El Dorado 8,12, or 15 year) -- Delish!

cmh
TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 2:46 pm   Permalink

Well alrighty then! I just happen to have those ingredients and no Coruba!

Thanks!

Chris

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation