FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food In search of: Black Magic!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
In search of: Black Magic!
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-24 6:40 pm   Permalink

Hey guys, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to replicate the Black Magic exactly. Leave a little magic for when you are actually IN the Mai-Kai! My personal preference is to find or concoct those flavors that invoke those Mai-Kai experiences. But of course, all my attempts fail unless I'm actually sitting in a dark Tiki bar. Thankfully, I do have one under roof, but again... if you visit Paris, you aren't likely to be able to recreate it at home, but hey, maybe a good baguette would bring back just enough of it til your next visit...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-24 7:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-23 11:00, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Chip/Andy, you might be right but have the exact ingredients of Don's #7 been officialy documented?

Exact? Or official? I don't think we'll ever have 'exact' and I don't know what the qualifications would be to call it official.

The primary flavors of Don's #7 are grapefruit and cinnamon. You can make your own, or Trader Tiki has made it even easier...
http://www.tradertiki.com/store/dons-mix/ and his stuff is fantastic.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pomaika i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-24 8:56 pm   Permalink

Bought a gallon of black magic to go on Thursday night and just enjoyed some on our tropical patio. We're going to taste test some versions while we still have some left.

View Profile of Pomaika i Send a personal message to Pomaika i      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-26 10:34 am   Permalink

I am near 100% sure there is cinnamon infused syrup in it. In fact, I am pretty sure there is a drop at least in about every drink at the Mai-Kai. This was Marianno's secret ingredient. How do I know this? Thanks to a friend who is near allergic to cinnamon! One sip and he knows instantly if cinnamon is in anything...

And it does make a great drink. Try it some time. Just put the slightest amount in there. Even when it is nearly inperceptible, it makes a drink pop.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-27 3:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Exact? Or official? I don't think we'll ever have 'exact' and I don't know what the qualifications would be to call it official.

The primary flavors of Don's #7 are grapefruit and cinnamon. You can make your own, or Trader Tiki has made it even easier... http://www.tradertiki.com/store/dons-mix/ and his stuff is fantastic.

Oh yes, I'm intimately familiar with the old grapefruit/cinnamon mix (first documented by Beachbum Berry in "Sippin' Safari," I believe). It seems to be more commonly referred to as simply "Don's Mix" so the reference to "#7" threw me for a loop. The Bum's research points toward a 2:1 ratio of grapefruit to cinnamon and this seems to work great in many classic recipes. Trader Tiki's product is a fine re-creation as well.

So back to the subject at hand, could this be part of the Black Magic recipe? My gut feeling is yes .... and no. It's certainly possible, and probably likely, that Mariano took many of Don's mixes and tweaked them to make them his own.

I do like GatorRob's point of view, though. It's much less frustrating to just sit back and enjoy the Mai-Kai drinks in the one and only place you really can and leave the recipes a mystery. I'm sure they will remain so anyway.

But I also understand that folks who live hundreds or thousands of miles away tend to get a bit stir crazy and need their fix. A faux Mai-Kai drink is better than none at all.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BH

Posted: 2010-07-27 5:19 pm   Permalink

Hi Everyone,
I haven't had a Black Magic for about a year now, but I remember it tasting a lot like the Barrel of Rum with a pronounced coffee flavor and no honey. I have no recollection of the Black Magic containing pineapple juice, Pernod, or cinnamon syrup. Am I this far off? To my mind the two dominant flavors in the Black Magic are passion fruit and coffee. Any thoughts?

P.S. I am also wondering if Mai-Kai uses chilled coffee in any of their drinks or if instead they typically deploy coffee liquor, syrup, or brandy instead? I've tried adding chilled (good quality) coffee to the Barrel of Rum recipe and the results are quite nice.

View Profile of BH Send a personal message to BH      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-27 9:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-27 17:19, BH wrote:
I've tried adding chilled (good quality) coffee to the Barrel of Rum recipe and the results are quite nice.

BH, you might be onto something there. Legend has it that the Black Magic is a cross-pollination of the Barrel of Rum and The Mutiny, which has a heavier coffee taste than the Black Magic. This also plays into my theory that there are at least two, perhaps three or more rums in the Black Magic.

Pondering the Mai-Kai's big three coffee drinks (The Hukilau is the third), I've always wondered if they contain chilled coffee, brandy, liquor, syrup or some combination of the above that we'll never be able to figure out.

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2010-07-27 21:51 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-30 4:42 pm   Permalink

OK, I was finally able to get my hands on some Coruba and I didn't waste any time making a Dark Magic. Wow, kudos to Melintur. It's not quite up there in coffee drink heaven with the Bum's Krakatoa but it's close.

However, bells and whistles starting going off. I think this comes the closest to approximating the Black Magic or Mutiny. There's something very familiar about all those flavors, especially the Corbua/Pernod combo. I've heard the Mai-Kai uses Coruba so this makes sense.

There's at least one other major piece of the puzzle missing, however. More investigation and sampling at the Mai-Kai may be necessary.

FYI, I stand corrected on the legend referred to above. Rumor has it that The Mutiny is an amalgamation of the Black Magic and Barrel of Rum, not the other way around.

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-04 2:11 pm   Permalink

After much research ...

From TheAtomicGrog.com:
Mai-Kai cocktail review: The Black Magic emerges from the darkness as a true classic
Prior to the opening of The Mai-Kai in 1956, there were perhaps other icy cocktails that employed dark rum and coffee as key ingredients. But none perfected it quite like the Black Magic.

Click below for a discussion of the special rum that makes the Black Magic unique, plus a recipe that comes as close as any we've tasted yet ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/04/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-black-magic-emerges-from-the-shadows-as-a-true-classic/

Okole maluna!

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2012-04-05 11:49 ]

CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-04 9:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-04 14:11, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
(Almost) all the secrets have been revealed:

From TheAtomicGrog.com:
Mai-Kai cocktail review: The Black Magic emerges from the darkness as a true classic
Prior to the opening of The Mai-Kai in 1956, there were perhaps other icy cocktails that employed dark rum and coffee as key ingredients. But none perfected it quite like the Black Magic.

Click below for a discussion of the special rum that makes the Black Magic unique, plus a rare ancestor recipe that comes as close as any we've tasted yet ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/04/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-black-magic-emerges-from-the-shadows-as-a-true-classic/

Okole maluna!

Once again you've hit the ball out of the park Hurricane! I would enjoy reading about how you came across that original Mariano Licudine 1944 recipe. Also, I think that a thread discussing Kohala Bay Dark Rum is in order. Who actually makes this rum, what's the ABV, and who is the importer? And what other DTB recipes might it work in??

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-04 9:27 pm   Permalink

A quick search on Google turns up the Wray & Nephew (the makers of Appleton & Coruba) made Dagger Rum:

So is Kohala Bay a W&N product?

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-04-04 21:29 ]

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-04 11:48 pm   Permalink

Craig, that recipe has been making the rounds for a year or so. It showed up on another thread last year: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=40279&forum=10
It's rumored to be similar to a pre-Mai-Kai Black Magic, but we can't confirm that. A few other experts helped nail down the rums and I fine-tuned it.

I'm looking at some of the other recipes that call for dark Jamaican rum. I'm sure there are at least a half dozen or more at The Mai-Kai that use Kohala Bay. Look for a surprising update of a previous review this Friday.

Great research on Dagger. I'm sure you're on the right track. Kohala Bay is distilled and blended in Kingston at 87.6 proof. Details on the importer are sketchy at this point, but I'm hoping to nail down some more info.

Mahalo!

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2012-04-05 11:54 ]

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-05 08:58 am   Permalink

The 151 Swizzle calls for Dagger. I will have to look again to see the others. It is the one rum he calls by name in the recipes.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-06 9:00 pm   Permalink

I made the recipe that Hurricane posted, using his recommended sub for Dagger/Kohala Bay. The problem that I had is a lack of coffee flavor. I used freshly ground Kona coffee, and made it double strength in a french press and then let it cool. The coffee tasted weak on it's own, and even weaker in the drink. I had to add an ounce of Illy Espresso Liqueur in order to make the drink taste close to what I remember at the Mai Kai. Once I added the liqueur it tasted really great, not as intense as I remember it being at the Mai Kai, but very good. My problem is obviously making the Kona coffee too weak. Any suggestions?

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-07 08:04 am   Permalink

Craig, not sure what to suggest. I have haven't had that problem using a standard coffee maker. In fact, sometimes I find the coffee too strong if I double the strength.

Not sure if this makes a difference, but I do let it sit in the fridge for a good 12 hours before using. It seems to get stronger the longer it chills.

Any coffee geeks out there with any ideas?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation