[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Exotica and Related Music at iTunes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Exotica and Related Music at iTunes
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 11:24 am   Permalink

No these don't sound vinyl, the sound like there were taken from the master tapes, but yeah they are a little hissy. Before the era of Dolby. I've noticed some of the records I have actually have more master tape hiss than record surface noise.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 7:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-07 11:24, Digitiki wrote:
No these don't sound vinyl, the sound like there were taken from the master tapes, but yeah they are a little hissy. Before the era of Dolby. I've noticed some of the records I have actually have more master tape hiss than record surface noise.

So I have a not-so-great-condition vinyl copy of this. Should I cough up the 10 bucks for the version you suggested? I really like this album, BTW. I guess I just answered my own question!

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 10:16 am   Permalink

I have a pretty good copy, but sonically not at good as the Flair REcords copy, so I bought it, and also a couple of the "More" and "Even MOre" albums too. I would also say buy just to help promote iTunes released more of this vintage exotica.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Tim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-17 08:59 am   Permalink

Here's a great exotica album on ITunes....Bo Axelzon & His Exotic Sounds

View Profile of Tiki-Tim Send a personal message to Tiki-Tim  Email Tiki-Tim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-17 3:27 pm   Permalink

I listened to the samples of Kapu, and although they are little hissy, they are still WAY better than the vinyl I have. Crown Records is notorious for sh*tty vinyl--even a pristine Crown record sounds like crap, but they are still worth seeking out because a lot of good stuff got released on that label. Darrell Brogdon of the Retro Cocktail Hour calls it his "favorite fly-by-night record label."

It looks like iTunes also has "Jazz Heat Bongo Beat" which is another great Crown release, as well as Buddy Collette and Don Ralke's "Bongo Madness" (although inexplicably the track listing for "Bongo Madness" is exactly the same as "Jazz Heat Bongo Beat" yet they are two distinctly different records.)

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation