FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Holo Wai Miniature Golf, Orange, CA (other)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Holo Wai Miniature Golf, Orange, CA (other)
big kahuna59

Posted: 2007-01-21 10:03 pm   Permalink

Name:Holo Wai Miniature Golf
Type:other
Street:Glassell St
City:Orange
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Great Miniature Golf Course in old Orange, near the 22 fwy, across from Hart Park. Center of course had a sunken area with waterfalls, tons of tikis, grass shacks, fountains, fishing nets, floats, etc. Wonderful landscaping, had a restaurant adjacent in true tiki tradition. Went defunct in the late 60's, maybe early 70's. Only thing that is left is the restaurant, which is now Chinese, there are apartments where the course was.

View Profile of big kahuna59 Send a personal message to big kahuna59      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiphantom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-09 10:11 pm   Permalink

If you go to the back of the Chinese Resturaunt, you'll be able to see where you could rent clubs and balls for the course.

View Profile of Tikiphantom Send a personal message to Tikiphantom  Email Tikiphantom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-09 10:48 pm   Permalink

I love Tiki miniature golf courses and this place sounds like it was great. I found these pictures and this story on flickr:

"The best miniature golf course ever, on Chapman, in Orange, California. Pro golfers played there: Arnold Palmer was on the top ten list of best scores! I was a fanatic in my high school years, and ended up #2 on the list (ahead of Palmer!) myself. It was also the site of several dates with Carol (Robin) and the site of my first date with Penny.

Alas, it was wiped out in the late seventies or early eighties, for a freeway interchange."

Photos: January 2, 1967

Can you imagine Arnold Palmer ripping it up here? That is amazing.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-15 09:31 am   Permalink

I grew up in the city of Orange but dont remember this place but i sent the link to my older sister asking her if she remembers it and this was her response "Oh my my, YES I DO! I remember exactly where it was and I even remember when it was abandoned for some time and we walked around there when it was derelict. I actually didn't realize that it was such a tiki theme. It looks so awesome, doesn't it?"

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kentkanouse

Posted: 2008-12-28 8:18 pm   Permalink

I'm the one that posted the Flickr photos of the Holo Wai course, incorrectly identifying the street as Chapman. As big kahuna59 correctly stated, it was on Glassell (zip 92867). Meanwhile, I found an old scorecard with nice graphics...

View Profile of kentkanouse Send a personal message to kentkanouse  Goto the website of kentkanouse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-28 10:39 pm   Permalink

Went to the chinese restaurant a few years ago..
it's between the apartments
and a Catholic Church
that had one of them
"Virgin mary" stain things on the wall
a few years back...
Man!
I currently live about 1/2 a mile from there!
Will have to take the time machine out of storage....

great research!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-29 1:20 pm   Permalink

Guys, is that restaurant still situated in this A-frame building?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiphantom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-10 10:47 pm   Permalink

Yes, the building is the same. Its been completely stripped inside. The only thing that remains is the walk-up area to get your clubs and balls for the mini-golf course in the back.

View Profile of Tikiphantom Send a personal message to Tikiphantom  Email Tikiphantom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-11 07:43 am   Permalink

I would love to see photos of the exterior. I realize this is probably a pretty slapdash example, but there are just not that many ground-to-gable A-frames left these days, especially ones that used to be Polynesian eateries.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-12 11:28 am   Permalink

Yen Ching is the name of the restaurant (the A-frame building hasn't been altered much). My wife and I ate there quite a few times, though it's been a while. The food is good, though relatively expensive.

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-12 11:31 am   Permalink

Here's something hilarious...if you look at the overhead satellite shot in Google maps, the grass outline remnants of the old mini golf course are still there!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=glassell,+orange,+ca&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=22.987313,60.820313&ie=UTF8&ll=33.778666,-117.854381&spn=0.001627,0.003664&t=h&z=18

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-12 2:47 pm   Permalink

Wow! The geoglyphs of Tiki culture, thanks to aerial archeology!

Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-31 4:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-12 11:31, congawa wrote:
Here's something hilarious...if you look at the overhead satellite shot in Google maps, the grass outline remnants of the old mini golf course are still there!

I ate there yesterday and forgot to check the back area for the remnants of the mini golf booth. Grrrrrr!

The food was good so I'll go back.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-31 4:59 pm   Permalink

AND this thread doesn't even have one photo of the A-frame!
I had heard rumors of a Tiki pole remaining in the back by the dumpster, but supposedly, according to a recent third person local connection check up, no more. We do need a pro like you down there to ascertain the situation.

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-31 7:28 pm   Permalink

Definitely no tiki by the dumpster, but there are torches all along the front of the building. It was tough to get a good shot of the A-frame without standing in the street.

I glanced at the grassy area behind the parking lot, and it looked like it may have been converted into a baseball field. I'd have to double check to be certain.

The food was good. I'd eat there again.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation