FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Chicago visit in February-where to go and what to do?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Chicago visit in February-where to go and what to do?
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-25 5:42 pm   Permalink

I am going to be in Chicago on business during the week of February 19th and will spend the 23rd-25th looking around for tiki.

Please let me know the best places to go for food, drinks and to purchase vintage tiki in the area. I know there is still a Trader Vics in Chicago. Does anyone know if they have mugs for sale there? Any other suggestions for tiki establishments that sell mugs or have good drinks and food?

Also, I wanted to know if there are any places that sell vintage tiki?

Thanks,

Psycho Tiki D (I know you are and so am I)

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jamco

Posted: 2007-01-25 6:59 pm   Permalink

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18335&forum=16

The Hala Kahiki is a definate must!!

[ This Message was edited by: jamco 2007-01-25 19:11 ]

View Profile of jamco Send a personal message to jamco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-25 10:50 pm   Permalink

Trader Vic's closed on December 31, 2005.

Other than that, follow the link Jamco posted above; all of the info in that thread is still relevant, except for the TVics closing and also the only Tong's that is still really Tiki is the Villa Park one. But most people skip Tong's anyway unless they're being hyper-thorough.

I'll be out of town on gigs, returning on the afternoon of the 24th. As always, it isn't too hard to get me and the ol' Mobile Exploration Lab fired up for the mandatory 'dinner at the Chef followed by drinks at Hala Kahiki' run. I can drive too, if you need a lift to the burbs. Sunbday is better for this run; HK is crowded and loud on Saturdays these days.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 2:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the link and information! Any suggestions on where to locate any cool vintage items to buy? Antique malls, shops, flea markets?

Thanking you all in advance!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 3:02 pm   Permalink

Try Belmont St., between Ashland and Western. There are a few vintage shops there, including Vintage Deluxe and Night and Day Vintage. Tell 'em I sent ya'.
Try Broadway Antique Mall too (on Broadway, don't know the address - somewhere between 4800 and 6800).

Only Flea Market is waaaay out in Kane country, like 90 minutes drive.

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2007-01-26 15:02 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 4:05 pm   Permalink

tikibars,

What about Wolfes? Is this an indoor flea market? Do any of the tiki bars sell their mugs?

Again,

Thanks,

PTD

Tonga Trader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-27 10:19 am   Permalink

Hala Kahiki has a gift shop to check out, but the mugs they sell aren't the ones they use. They don't really serve in tiki mugs anymore, except Scorpion bowls and the big drink-for-two type bowls.

View Profile of Tonga Trader Send a personal message to Tonga Trader      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-27 8:38 pm   Permalink

Wolfes? do you mean the hot dog stand? It is OK, but Super Dawg, Hot Doug's, and Wiener's Circle are all waaay better.

As Tonga Trader says, the mugs at HK gift shop are Dynasty-ish stuff, Tiki Terrace sometimes has some Tiki Farm stuff. No one has a custom mug.

I don't know much about the Kane County flea, look it up on line, it is huge. I never go. Trying to own less stuff, not more, these days...

FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 2:45 pm   Permalink

Chef Shangri-La makes killer drinks...Get the Dr. Fong...2 of'em and you'll be well on your way.

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 8:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-26 16:05, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
tikibars,

What about Wolfes? Is this an indoor flea market? Do any of the tiki bars sell their mugs?

Again,

Thanks,

PTD

wolfs is closed for the season and their indoor location is gone or has moved further to the southside......mainly sells newer products and brand name copies/knock-offs of stuff....no tiki.

also, vintage delux has permanently closed up shop....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 1:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-28 20:44, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
wolfs is closed for the season and their indoor location is gone or has moved further to the southside......mainly sells newer products and brand name copies/knock-offs of stuff....no tiki.
also, vintage delux has permanently closed up shop....

Dave, you're a fountain of news today.

When did Gabrielle close up the shop???
Did I miss a big clearance sale?

also, what IS Wolfe's? seems like soumething I ought to know about.

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 2:02 pm   Permalink

My father lives in the Chicago area and when I visited two years ago, he took me to Wolfes (indoor/outdoor flea market). My father wasn't/isn't up to speed on tiki but he thought they would have some stuff. I found some HIP/Polyart/Coco Joes items, tiki swizzle sticks, tiki matchbook covers and some old robots. This was in February as well, so the outdoor flea market wasn't going.

I did not have anytime to investigate the eateries or bars. He took me to some thrift shops, but I didn't find anything in any of these shops.

Now that I have some ideas, thanks to the help of fellow TC'ers, I can get the ball rolling with my dad. This will expedite my pursuit of my favorite past time, collecting and enjoying tiki, even though Chicago in February is a little on the cool side. Continue to give me more ideas if you think of any more!

Thanks for the help,

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and will be even more so in Chicago)!

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 3:32 pm   Permalink

Which side of town? South side, North side, West Side, near/far, etc.

Check out the
Tiki Terrace if you're up near Prospect Heights/Schaumburg.

All Harry Caray restaurants are serving Trader Vic's Mai Tais 'til a new Trader Vic's gets built.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 4:15 pm   Permalink

Dad used to live in Bensenville, now in Addison. As long as the destination is with an hour, I am willing to go. Not sure where Addison is as far as north, south, east or west?

Thanks again,

PTD

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 4:23 pm   Permalink

Psycho Tiki D, here's a map centered on Addison that shows tiki in the area. If you zoom out a bit, you can get a feel for what's near & what's far:

Critiki Map of Addison

Hope that helps!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation