FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events The San Diego Chop and Much More! - March 10 !!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The San Diego Chop and Much More! - March 10 !!!
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 9:30 pm   Permalink

Sounds like this is shaping up to be a killer chop-chop with lots of carvers (some newbies and of course us older newbies), clay and resin demos and such.

So, what's on the menu? I was thinking of bringing a big party tray of Hawaiian style potato-mac salad from a local place here in RSM called Ona Ona (and beer). Seemed like everybody like it okay at Mieko's Chop - at least there wasn't much left afterwards! I could probably pick it up here in the morning then shoot on down...

Which brings up another important question - when should we start? It's rare that I get a whole day of carving let alone a few hours, so it would be cool to start reasonably early. But then again, don't want anyone answering the door in jammies with pillow head, eh??!!. Bill???

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 05:35 am   Permalink

Doors open at 9AM.

Mac salad sounds good, bring it! We'll have the gas grill ready to fire up for anyone who wants to bring grill items.

Aaron and Erik, glad you'll be here. I'll add you names to the list.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 06:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-05 05:35, 4WDtiki wrote:
Doors open at 9AM.

and I'm usually outside the door asking if Bill can come out and play at 9:01

this chop sounds f'n great!!! I can't wait to get started!

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 06:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-02 13:20, CheekyGirl wrote:
So very jealous! I'm going to miss the chopping & the casting. I will be returning from my SF that day. Ah shucks -- I'll be there next chop chop!

Cheeky, why don't you just keep driving a little further, and you'll be here!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 07:14 am   Permalink

My parents will cook up a batch of yakisoba (noodles) like always, and I'm assuming that I need a batch of spam musubi, otherwise Clysdalle will kick me out. Potato-mac salad sounds great, I could bring an extra cooler if we need space to store food that needs to be kept cool.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 08:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-05 07:14, mieko wrote:
and I'm assuming that I need a batch of spam musubi, otherwise Clysdalle will kick me out.

as long as you know that

i'll bring some micro brew from a local brewery for peeps to try....and a small cooler

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 08:30 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2007-03-04 15:53, Moki wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-03-02 16:29, 4WDtiki wrote:
Quote:

She has a wholesale source that charges $5 a bundle of 20. It takes 2-3 leaves to make one lei.

If she can get a bundle or two, I certainly pay her back. I checked at the Ranch 99 and had no luck.

Have you tried in Mira Mesa? By Mira Mesa Blvd. & Black Mountain Rd. there's Lucky Seafood Market and Seafood City Market, both of which have a big selection of products from the South Pacific & SE Asia.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 7:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-04 10:16, Tikidav wrote:

I was planning on it being a demo Kate, but if you would like to learn more about doing your own casting, we could see about getting you started like Clysdalle, Mr. NoNaMe and Moki did.

That would be great. Does it matter what the piece you are casting is made of? I have a vintage plastic pendant that I'd like to use.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 9:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-05 19:48, Tiki-Kate wrote:

That would be great. Does it matter what the piece you are casting is made of? I have a vintage plastic pendant that I'd like to use.

I think it would work, but I'm not the pro. Bring it and Dave can look at it and tell you for sure.

If you put in an order from Vangard, they ship really quick and you'll have your stuff the next day.

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-06 7:34 pm   Permalink

On 2007-03-05 21:46, Moki wrote:
Quote:

I think it would work, but I'm not the pro. Bring it and Dave can look at it and tell you for sure.

What Moki said!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-06 7:56 pm   Permalink

[/quote]

as long as you know that

i'll bring some micro brew from a local brewery for peeps to try....and a small cooler

[/quote]

Oooooo. Will it be "Old Viscosity"? Nummy, nummy, nummy.

I will check to see if they will fill other growlers! I may scoot up there Friday and get a couple filled.

Sorry, but it aint gonna be Kers.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 3:00 pm   Permalink

Okay, Lennie picked up plenty of Ti leaf today. She will be at a trade show on Saturday til mid afternoon or so, so the Lei Twisting will happen after she gets back, (obviously).

Forecast calls for low to mid 70s and sunny, so dress appropriately. And bring warmer clothes for the evening, if you'll be here for the clay and alcohol.

Anyone planning to stay over? Just wondering, so we can be ready.

I can't wait!

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-08 6:35 pm   Permalink

For those of you who wish to try your hands out on a little clay action Saturday night, make sure your not sporting your Sunday best....for all intensive purposes, you will be intoxicated and playing in mud. ;-)

It's the Hotel right down the street for me....my kids wasted all my camping gear last year.

Buzz & Zaya...hope you two can make it.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-08 8:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-08 18:35, Babalu wrote:
you will be intoxicated and playing in mud.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill, I'm going to spend Saturday night at Mieko's parents house. It's the official designated girly zone.

I'm bringing the ubercooler with plenty of water and soda. I'll throw in an extra case of Diet Coke since Ona's coming.

Not sure if I'll be able to do too much chopping though. I messed up my left wrist and my right shoulder this week. I picked a simple design though, so I should be able to do a decent amount of work on it.

Here's my first finished tiki. He's called Into The Volcano.

I hope that someday I'll get the hang of that whole symmetry thing, but for now I'll just keep trying.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-08 10:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I hope that someday I'll get the hang of that whole symmetry thing, but for now I'll just keep trying.

Looks like you already have the hang of it!! Nice job.

I'll bring an extra case of Diet coke too cause 'Ona's coming.

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation