FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events The San Diego Chop and Much More! - March 10 !!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The San Diego Chop and Much More! - March 10 !!!
tikihai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-09 06:24 am   Permalink

Getting close...

Bill> Thanks again for the hospitality. I may nod out in the car a bit, but I am heading home to do taxes early Sunday.

Kate> You are so humble. The symmetry looks good to me. My tikis are so bad they are calling me the Picasso of palm.

View Profile of tikihai Send a personal message to tikihai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HB_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-09 6:29 pm   Permalink

Looking forward to this. See everyone in the am.

View Profile of HB_Tiki Send a personal message to HB_Tiki  Email HB_Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 11:52 am   Permalink

Hey, where's the pictures? Are you folks still partying?

Dav (whose nickname is now "Mr. Fantastic") thanks for the casting demo, man, whoever didn't see it you lose out! It was amazing! Even when he explained everything in detail, we couldn't figure how he got those little itty bitty details so perfect.

Mr. NoNaMe, did the key fit?

And Chet not only fixed the tranny on his car all morning but knocked out three Tikis in less than an hour, and sold a few ratchet sets in his spare time!

And the LAMP! The LAMP! It GLOWS!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 5:43 pm   Permalink

Another great day!!!

First the thank yous....
Bill & Lennie, thanks for opening up your home (and yard) once again. And for the re-do on the ti leave lei demo that I missed last month. I made another 4 leis today!! Our tikis look so nice with their leis.

TikiDav & Babalu, thank you for your demos. Even though the "boys" were a little rambuncous at times, I think we all learned a little bit more of your craft.

And of course, Mieko and her parents for the great food and Cammo for keeping the tunes going.

Buzzy & Aaron-you guys were missed!!

Looking forward to next month already!!

Here are a few pictures...

the log pile is getting smaller

Clydesdale making a little dust

'Ona found a good log to play with

Babalu & Clydesdale ponder the design plan

Babalu showing us how to play with mud

TikiKate & Meiko getting their hands dirty

What are you guys pointing at??

It's not always all about carving...

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 6:08 pm   Permalink

This was by far the best Chop ever.

I carved a tiki, despite my gimpy wrist. I finally made a ti lei. I learned how to do resin casting, and I made a couple of mugs.

Other highlights, I got to relive my past. I had jell-o shots for the first time in over ten years and had a squirt gun fight. I'd say it's been at least twenty-five years since I'd done that. (My sincerest apologies to all of the innocent bystanders who got wet.)

Babalu - Thanks so much for spending the morning teaching us how to make mugs. So much more sinks in when you're sober.

Moki - What was going on in the sky during the group shot? Great pictures. Thanks again for the pendant. It's gorgeous.

Dave - Thanks for the resin demo. The hula girl is amazing.

Clysdalle - Thanks for the chainsaw help again. Sorry about that last shot of water to your face. Thanks for not getting even with me...or is that part of your evil plan? When I least expect it, expect it. Personally, I think we're already even considering the remark you made about my feet.

Lennie - Thanks so much for breakfast and the lei lesson. It's good to find a fellow Crowdie after all these years.

Bill - Thanks again for opening your home to all of us especially since the clay added another layer of messy to the group.

Tom and Phil - Thanks for the drinks. They were fabulous.

Mieko, Diana and Bill - Thank you for putting me up for the night. (I've got to go to Costco and get that chai latte.)

Thanks to everyone who comes to this event and makes it such a great way to spend a weekend.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 6:41 pm   Permalink

looks like fun, you guys are fortunate to have an opportunity to chizzel together on a regular
basis. Anyone have a bigger pic of the carving on the left side of the group picture? They're
all nice but I'd like to get a better look at that one!
How about a carving get together next month at my place in northern wisconsin, about 2 miles
from the north pole?

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 6:51 pm   Permalink

Great time everyone.....again thanks to the hosts and all the demo peeps. This is really becoming a great resource for sooo much info!! Ok, when is the next one knowing that date is what keeps me going!!! Is everyone heading to the tikifarm event on the 14th??

here is my guy from the last chop...finally done and stainted up.....I must admit I love the goofy look holding the skull.....

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikihai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 7:04 pm   Permalink

for the rest of the album for both last month and this month
go here...
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0ScsnDNixYujA

View Profile of tikihai Send a personal message to tikihai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HB_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-11 8:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-11 11:52, Cammo wrote:
And Chet not only fixed the tranny on his car all morning but knocked out three Tikis in less than an hour, and sold a few ratchet sets in his spare time!

It just seemed like an hour because you were using your ninja skills to disappear from time to time...

I had a blast again. Thanks to Bill and Lennie for the hospitality, to Rick (not sure of your board name) for the tips and Mr. NoNaMe for the tools.
Here are my pics.

TikiDav extracting the hula girl:

Babalu demo:

Tiki torches:

Shenanigans...

I'm looking forward to the next one already. I should have some tools by then.

View Profile of HB_Tiki Send a personal message to HB_Tiki  Email HB_Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 07:48 am   Permalink

Wow! That was really a most creative weekend there!

Everything creative.....the wood carving, the clay work, the resin, the drawing, the food, the drinks, the music...everything! I had a most enjoyable time kicken it with all you cool folks! I can't wait for the next gathering. Hopefully, I can get my hands on a little bit smaller log for the next one....moving big fat 6 footers around all over the place hurts.

I have a feeling that these Chop Chop events are really going to get much larger as we move forward....They are just to much fun not to catch on.

Here are a few captured moments that I woke up to this morning layed out in no particular order....

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 10:48 am   Permalink

Still at home with the flu and a big tray of Hawaiian salad. Looks like a great time was had, sorry I missed it. All the pics are making me feel better, though.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-12 10:16 pm   Permalink

"Mr. Fantastic" eh, Cammo? Hmmm.......yes, I suppose I could live with that, although there was much other fantastic-ness going on all around me as well.

Thanks Bill, Lennie and everyone else who was associated with the 4WDCC3 last weekend! I'm really glad I could come this time and hang out.

Thanks Monica for the pendant. Was it Ona and Clysdalle who ended up with the demo castings?

Kate, getting anywhere with the resin casting? Look at this thread (shameless plug)
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21904&forum=18&108

Being that I was in a somewhat more sober state when writing it, it probably will answer many questions that I was not able to during the demo.

Nice to meet 'cha Cindy, Ralph, Colin, Tom, and Ray.

Since many of you took advantage of Babalu's clay demo and made yourselves a mug, I would be happy to do a demo for ceramic slip mold casting for ceramics at the next Chop if anyone is interested.

Great pictures, thanks to you who posted.

Hey Aaron! We missed ya!!

Ditto Buzzy and Zaya!

Tikidav say SPAM rules.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 10:35 pm   Permalink

A demo of ceramic slip mold casting? Why the heck would we want that?

I mean, YES DAV PLEASE PLEASE I VOTE YAY! That would be amazing! Could we make little pseudo-Royal Doulton figurines of Mr. NoNaMe, kilt and all? Maybe a limited edition set of little Tiki Celebrities, Crazy Al with an ax, Bamboo Ben with a nail gun, Nick reading a magazine, GROG peering out of a cave, etc?...

Hmmm... wait a second, that's kind of a cool idea...

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 11:16 pm   Permalink

I'm so bummed I missed this! It looked like sooooo much fun.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikihai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 11:57 pm   Permalink

Cheeky> maybe you can make the one in OC in a couple weeks ... see this thread
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=23295&forum=17&0
Cheers

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation