FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events The San Diego Chop and Much More! - March 10 !!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The San Diego Chop and Much More! - March 10 !!!
Zaya
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-17 6:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks again for another great San Diego Chop Chop! What a beautiful day it was. Here are my pictures from today's event starting with one of The Harlem Globetrotters tour bus that I saw on my way over. Too bad I couldn't have flagged them down to have them give us some lunchtime entertainment!

Another tiki rising!

Oh Clysdalle, you big baby!

Here's one of Cammo training for the World's Strongest Man competition!

I'm ready for the next one!

Zaya

View Profile of Zaya Send a personal message to Zaya  Email Zaya Goto the website of Zaya     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikihai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-17 10:29 pm   Permalink

Hey Zaya...nice pix...I am a little tired from chopping all day, but I thought I would post mine up tonight also. Had a great time, met wonderful people, enjoyed the awesome weather and looking forward to another get together. Thank You Bill for hosting.

View Profile of tikihai Send a personal message to tikihai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 06:42 am   Permalink

Get on the BUS! The Tiki Carving Harlem Globetrotters Tour Bus!

Thanks to 4WD for the logs, once again, and that big boy tiki is one slick piece of work. WOW!

I still say Buzzy's little guy is carved out of soap.

The food was ULTIMO.

My "Mr. Quick & Ugly" needs a few more hours work. It ain't so quick and I'll try not not make it too ugly, either.

Newbies were enthusiastic. That one guy next to Clysdalle was chopping like a pro! (Lets put a funny hat on him and call him 'Crazy Ken') That thin guy who was asking all the questions looks like a ringer!

And I sincerely promise to never again ask disturbingly obscure Tiki Questions.

Such as -

What giant bayside San Diego Tiki-style hotel is featured in the 1967 Jerry Lewis movie 'The Big Mouth'? It's in a huge amount of scenes, Jerry basically lives there and goes to Sea World for fun.

Here's the answers to the earlier questions -

1."Timeless Collectibles" on Adams Ave. The coffee bar is called "The Retro Bar". Inside the antique shop, they also have a huge amount of 50's and 60's barware, it's incredible. Kate is now on the hunt, I know she's going there today. Good shootin', Kate.

2. The "China Inn", in PB, 877 Hornblend. This place has the cheapest and maybe the best Tiki Drinks in town, each comes in its own special mug. It has an extremely mysterious upstairs, too. The bathrooms are located upstairs in a big space, but you go outside and there isn't any upstairs, it's a one story building!

3. The Mini-Putt is at the Paradise Point Resort, a great place. Bring a putter and ball and play for free anytime. Also try their Barefoot Bar after a long day of golf.

4. This lobby is from Shelter Island's other tiki hotel, the "Island Palms". It's like Humphreys Half Moon's little sister, right next door.

Laytah.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 6:31 pm   Permalink

This was such a good time!!! Thank you all for coming. It's a cool, fun and talented group we have going. Let's keep it going. :thumbsup:

It was actually hot for awhile, considering it's February. Much better than the last one.

We had a delicious spread of food, potluck-style. Mieko's parents again went above-and-beyond in that category.

Cammo debuted some new mix CD's, notably Spies in Space!

My wife gave an impromptu seminar on how to make Ti leaf leis, look for the pictures of feet in tiki hai's post above.

I cannot wait for the next Chop. Can we have these weekly?

PS Did anyone happen to get any pics of Gretta carving? She was the lttle girl from nxt door with the blond hair.

[ This Message was edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-02-18 18:33 ]

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 7:40 pm   Permalink

We're sorry we missed all the fun, but hopefully we'll make the next one.

'Ona was able to find a little piece of driftwood that he carved with a pen knife just so he wouldn't feel left out. Here's a picture of the finished piece.

Just kidding....but he is finding lots of inspiration and spam musubis (they are at every ABC store and 7-11)

See you guys soon!!
ALOHA!!!

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 08:18 am   Permalink

Great work kids. Sorry I couldn't make it.

Last week a buddy called me and said he couldn't make an mtb race in Tookson. I stock checked my gear and headed out early Fri. morn.
We won the race AND the party! I tried to whittle a Ku, but it is really tough when you are trying to empty a keg. During the awards ceremony with were taking turns decanting the beer into gallon jugs. Ten minutes before we were called up to get the trophy we killed the keg. :thumbsup:

Cammo, I didn't know it was a timed test. I knew the answers!

Next time!

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-02-19 08:19 ]

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 10:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-18 06:42, Cammo wrote:
What giant bayside San Diego Tiki-style hotel is featured in the 1967 Jerry Lewis movie 'The Big Mouth'? It's in a huge amount of scenes, Jerry basically lives there and goes to Sea World for fun.

The Hilton?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 11:52 am   Permalink

Great time everybody....I'm really excited about the number of newbies we had...it's great to see so many people wanting to learn. Thanks to the hosts again, that place is becoming the clup house! Thanks to everyone how brought food and did I see a cake! woohoooooo, Booze, cake and sharp metal tools...now that is fun!

So, when is the next one

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 2:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-19 11:52, Clysdalle wrote:
So, when is the next one

March!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 3:47 pm   Permalink

F'n RIGHT!

Hey Freddie, you're keerekt! The Hilton was originally a tiki-islander themed hotel. I don't know anything about it's original name/owners, etc., it probably wasn't a Hilton then, but it would make a great research project. You can walk around the place exactly where Jerry Lewis was, the walls and outside locales are easy to spot. There were island murals, rat-pack era decor, it's really cool in the movie. I have a sneakin' suspician that EVERY hotel in San Diego was Tiki-ized in the 60's...

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 7:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks again for hosting Bill. It's just the most wonderful place to carve.

Bill and Clysdalle - Thank you so much for the chain saw help.

Cammo - Thanks for the CDs and the trivia contest prize. That book is a total crack up.

Mieko - Thanks for lending me the riffler. It still can't hold anything in my left hand. I think my wrist needs to rest up for a few more days. Apparently, that's what you get for "going deep." Please thank your parents for the shade and the food. I've never eaten so much Spam in one day.

Everyone - Thanks for being such a great group to hang out with.

I'm hoping to finish up all four of my tikis before the next Chop Chop. I'll send out links to the pictures when I get them done.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-19 8:42 pm   Permalink

Cool, lotsa new people! Thanks for posting so many pictures. Feels like maybe I was there afterall.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-20 11:02 am   Permalink

Woot! What a great day! Can't wait for the next one - can we have it at 4WD's again??? It's such a nice place to carve while we have it available.

I loved the ti leaf lei demonstration, Can we think about doing a demo of something each month? Mold making and resin casting would be a good one I think, if some of the new "pros" want to throw something together. Clysdalle mentioned a mug making one that we can think about for the future, and I can always do a Musubi making demo.

Thanks to our wonderful hosts, the lei's were amazing, the limeaid delicious, the wontons awesome, it's just a great place.

Oh, and you can't tell from the pictures, but I just wanted to point out that Cheekygirl, Kate and I were the last ones carving - all the guys wimped out early. Girl Carvers Rule!

All the newbies were great! Colin - glad to see you've signed up! Great job for a first tiki!

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-20 11:08 am   Permalink

Can we call Colin "Chet" instead?

My right arm tendons still hurt.

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-20 12:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-20 11:02, mieko wrote:
Can't wait for the next one - can we have it at 4WD's again??? It's such a nice place to carve while we have it available.

I'll second that nomination. (As long as Bill's willing to put up with us all again.)

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation