[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New Maoi castings
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
New Maoi castings
Tiki Terrace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-26 12:54 am   Permalink

Hey everyone! We have been working here and there over the past few months with hopes of moving Tiki Terrace to a bigger location. So we have been making things, stocking things, experimenting with things, etc... Heres some pics

I am trying my luck with a large mold... I ruined the first mold and unfortunately lost $400 worth of RTV... I have a little better mold now and am waiting for the PVA mold release to dry and will add couple more layers.. its a three part mold and castings will be fused in the end (if it works )

We have been working on these tables for a few months now.. a little at a time. The idea is a 1/2" carved table top with a thin cement casted piece in the center of each carved piece. Will have a 1/2 OSB base directly under the carved piece and casting. Carved trim (1x4's) will be on the perimeter of tops to prevent bowing... trim will rise above table top by 1/4 inch for table top resin barrier. I am including pic of the resin as it is the cheapest out there and works well (from my experience)... we used on our bar and it really does nice job as it is not too rigid and absorbs scratches... PM if interested in more info

Here is a picture of a fiberglass tiki torch I built about 6 months ago and never finished. Its about 6' tall x 1' diameter. I built a base for the torch with casters and hidden rechargeable marine battery. I have yet to figure out how to make a tranparent flame with flickering light for outdoor use. Then will have to make some signs to hang on the torch to direct traffic to our place. the idea was to bring it to the street side at night, sink a pole in the ground to lock the thing down so it doesnt get stolen, and then attract mobs of people to our place and make tons of money (that is/was the theory of course), but it has been on the back burner for months... Any ideas on how I could make this flickering tranparent flame??? (keep in mind that I am terrible with molds! Maybe I will find the piece someday?

And here are some masks we are making for the new place. Been working on these for a few months whenever there is time. My brothers and I have a dayjob sculpting foam... so makes sense that most of our tiki stuff is also foam. our process... we order huge chunks of foam (usually 4' x 4' x 8-16') 1-2 lb density. Blocks cut into general shapes with hot wire equip.. then we hand sculpt.. then sand.. then spray with plastic (I tinted the plastic with brown pigment as seen below for easier air brushing).. then sand,,, then spray again, then sand,,, then airbrush.. then seal... masks are all about 4' x 3-4' x 1' deep... weigh approx 5-15 lbs each. If you have any questions or interest in knowing more about the process, PM me:

This one is crap, but I was tired.

This one is very bad and I dont know if I will finish? But this is a sample of raw foam

Here is a lamp frame my brother is doing. He has about 12 frames done and is slowly plugging away...

Here are some pics involving our Tiki Terrace apparel line. We have been working on this around 9 months or so. We hope to release the entire line of apparel in the next month or so, but here is a little of the creation process... we hope to have around 20 pieces at release. oh, the work space you see is our garage.. its a true "garage operation" (we built a two story garage to house our print shop and our prop shop,,, sorry for the mess)
Here is a seperation that is used to create the image on the silk screen using silk mesh and light sensitive film

Here is the screen... we use recycleable metal screens

Here is our 6 station press

Lastly,,, here is a photo of a property my brothers and I are buying in the Upper Peninsula MI. We submitted our plans for an A-Frame and it was approved. Still need to alter the plan to give the home more of a Polynesian feel, but the building inspector seems very easy going. The well and septic will be installed on the week of May 1 and I start the back breaking work of posthole digging for the foundation footings/piers. I'll post pics of the progress as we go! I'll post the blueprints if any are interested... any construction guys out there???

When I get the place done, any of you carvers are more than welcome to take it for a weekend of peace and fun! We will never be around on the weekends. Blue Ribbon Fishin, bear/deer huntin, snowmobile, atv, canoeing, boating, downhill/cross country ski, etc.... and a great area to get logs of any size. When its finished, I definitely want to open it up for any of the carvers to use. You guys really provide a lot of inspiration for my brothers and I!

Thanks for looking.
Scott

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Terrace 2007-02-02 00:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Terrace 2007-02-06 18:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Terrace 2007-12-23 20:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Terrace 2008-01-04 22:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Terrace 2008-01-15 13:30 ]

View Profile of Tiki Terrace Send a personal message to Tiki Terrace  Email Tiki Terrace Goto the website of Tiki Terrace     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 03:07 am   Permalink

I am speechless.

You have talent for sure. I don't know you but, I'm sure there are many here that do. I wish you great fortune with the Terrace. It looks like it will be a very fun place indeed. You are generous to offer the place up to this merry band of Bohemians. (Do you know Grog?)

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jamco

Posted: 2007-01-26 05:45 am   Permalink

amazing pieces! Congrats on the new property.. what exactly is Tiki Terrace?
I'm in Chicago, but if I ever do a rode trip up there, I'd love to check out what you've got goin'!
Love the table insert, great idea.

View Profile of jamco Send a personal message to jamco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 05:51 am   Permalink

Wow, great stuff! I checked out your website, your restaurant is amazing!

I did screenprinting for many years, so I can appreciate your garage operation. Love the image on the screen of a surfing tiki holding a drink. Is that shirt available? Do you have T-shirts for you bar/Restaurant? The website didn't show any.

Post more!

[ This Message was edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-01-26 05:52 ]

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Terrace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-26 08:56 am   Permalink

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

Tiki Terrace is a little hawaiian restaurant in Prospect Heights... just about 15 minutes North of O'Hare airport...
www.thetikiterrace.com Its off the beaten path, but maybe worth a trip depending on your taste (if you come on Saturday, call first).

Regarding the printing... glad to hear that there is another printer out there! Did you work a manual or automatic? Are you familiar with the software, seperations, screens also? Would love to talk more with you about process printing if possible. I will work on formating all the images and will post here shortly... Unfortunately, it has been a really slow process producing the series and I want to wait until we have a good amount of stuff before going on the web... I hope within a month or so. we hired a couple artists to do all the original art. Will have 4 lines of apparel... teez, embroidered stuff, Honi-Honi Wahine wear (all fitted ladies apparel), and eventually a childs wear line. All embroidered stuff are really unique. jackets will be 150K stitches and up (which interprets to 7 hours minimum on the embroiderer per jacket)... we have one that is 250K in which only 10 will be run and they will be numbered. 3-10 are remaining.

I have more time on my hands the next couple weeks so I'll post more stuff regularly... We are doing several upgrades at the restaurant that I will also include...

Take care!
Scott

View Profile of Tiki Terrace Send a personal message to Tiki Terrace  Email Tiki Terrace Goto the website of Tiki Terrace     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jamco

Posted: 2007-01-26 09:30 am   Permalink

I didn't realize you were talking about the chicago Tiki Terrace... I was planning on hitting that place next week for the first time!
Where is the restaurant moving to, if you don't mind my asking??

[ This Message was edited by: jamco 2007-01-26 09:34 ]

View Profile of jamco Send a personal message to jamco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 09:50 am   Permalink

Scott...great post...although I am a Terrace VIP I still haven't made the trip to
Chicago...but I WILL!
However...I am very close to the UP and it would be great to meet another TC'er
when you are visiting the Northwoods....what city is your property near?
Thanks again for the additional motivation I need to get to the Terrace.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 09:59 am   Permalink

What Conga said for me too. Nice stuff!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 11:01 am   Permalink

Great foam heads! I kept playing with the idea of carving foam, but never got around to it.

As far as the torch, it would probably be easiest if you just go buy some of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Malibu-Solar-pack-Tiki-Torch/dp/B000H7GTEM

Costco has them too, in packs of 8. The first run had plastic stakes that melted a little in the summer, and mine are all bent now, but I think the new ones have real bamboo stakes that'll be much better.

If you do want to use your light, there seems to be 2 ways of getting flickering flame effect, number 1 is that they do make small flickering bulbs, I think they are 7w and are like chandlier bulbs. The other thing I looked into is using LEDs, you need a couple of yellow bulbs and maybe an orange. The flicker is done best by having one solid bulb, then the other bulbs cycling on and off at different rates. You'd need to experiment, and I have no idea how to wire them. Then, you can cover them all with some tinted or untinted clear silicone caulking shaped into a flame.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 11:19 am   Permalink

Really nice work Scott! Its great how you and your brothers work so well together... I barely see mine!

You guys have some really cool stuff going on with the decor for the new place!

Jealous! I can't even carve right now due to a hand injury, and its driving me crazy!

Keep up the good work... I'm sure I'll see you soon.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 3:14 pm   Permalink

Nice work, Scott.

Can't wait to see these installed in the new TT.

I know you'll keep us informed on the progress.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Reid-O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-26 3:40 pm   Permalink

Awesome work! Love what your doing with foam! The restaurant looks like a lot of fun I will have to put it on the top of the tiki road trip list! Aloha!

View Profile of Reid-O Send a personal message to Reid-O  Goto the website of Reid-O     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 6:13 pm   Permalink

What a great varity of different kind of projects. I'm going to send you a PM.

Welcome aboard the creating section. Glad you posted.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Terrace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-28 9:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys! McTiki, I have not met Grog, but the name seems very familiar... is he in the Midwest? Lake, saw the pics of your hand!!! Washing dishes is big part of bartending so you best adapt a safer way of washing before the home bar is finished! And to clerify the Tiki Terrace moving, we are really hoping to move as soon as possible. We have several places in mind, but we have to complete an asset sale of the current location (broker is currently handling this). So no clue when, but hopefully soon. And we will stay close so to hopefully keep our regular base of customers.

here are some pics of the Tiki Terrace tee designs we will release shortly. this has been super long in the works and we have been pushing back the release of this for about 6 months now. soon I hope???

Real quick, lots of the outlines you see get altered when I convert to JPG.. something I dont know how to avoid... these will not be in the printed work.

This one was done about a year ago... the first one

For all you surfer guys (I am such a bad surfer that I broke my arm playing on one of those skim board thingys right on Ka'anipali beach.. got a cast, a farmers tan, had to start meds and could not drink... instantly ruined a perfectly good vacation.. that was my last attempt at surfing, skim board, boogie board, etc...):

And the classic joke heard at every luau:

I love Polynesian tattoo/tattoo in general:

This one highlights the uke... if you guys can ever come to our uke jams, the guys bring out some super sweet ukes.. couple of the guys collect and there is some really nice peices that show up occasionally:

Very simple, but the customers really like it.. on a long sleeve

We had to do this one... hey, its just $5!

The following are for the "Honi Honi Wahine Wear".. all fitted womens stuff:

This is the logo that appears on the back of every girls shirt (on shirts they are at base of neck about 3"x 3")... and we have an undergarment set with this logo on the okole of the boy shorts and on the left chest of the matching top.

And last we have 2 embroidered items as of now with a third almost ready. They are on jackets.. the one below is our Miss Tiki Terrace calender concept... we will be doing miss january through december and offer as embroidered jackets or printed tees. the embroidery for miss january came out to 175,000 stitches and about 16" tall x propotion width on a dickies jacket. Miss Feb is a mermaid girl holding a tiki mug.

The other embroidered jacket we have is the "I got leid" design on jacket that came out to 250 K stitches... this one is a limited edition, 10 piece run.

I really hope we can get these on the web soon. I'll let you know when up. Again, disregard the problems with the outlines in the art.. when I have images on the site, they will be problem free...

Here are some images of the A-Frame blueprints. There will be some alterations for the sake of the Polynesian look.... oh, the property is in Dickenson County on the Sturgeon River... Right by Iron Mountain.

If anyone out there is involved in the trades, i would love to chat.. one major aspect that I cant do is the design/layout of the ductwork... we will go with a forced air system if possible. Oh, and anyone with info on metal roof vs. wood/shingle roof in forested areas??? I think the metal option will help with dry rot, but since there wont be a ton of sun beating down on the building (due to the tree shade), this may not be an issue???

Ok, thanks!
Scott

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-29 07:07 am   Permalink

Great stuff Scott - I love the table tops... very nice. I will definitly visit the tiki terrace next time i'm in chi town. Good luck - I think you've got something there definitly. I hope the mobs and mobs come to the place (but not when I'm there!)...

Greg

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation