[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New Maoi castings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
New Maoi castings
Tiki Terrace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-07 10:18 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the replies everyone. with accident, I think my ego was hurt more than anything. Just a few burns on the legs. But as I get older, my ego becomes smaller (less concerned about looking foolish in front of hundreds of people:) Not too proud of this accident as most Samoans carry their scars with pride, but the pic was too cool to not share.

Anyhow, couple finshed things:

The "fractured fairy tales" book... 4WD tiki,,, I actually have not seen this. I was thinking on the lines of the "Never Ending Story" book??? Still are working on the pages for this, but the exterior is almost done... it should be fun bringing this out to guests:

We also finished the jacket I posted earlier. front and back.
Here is the front for #2

Here is back... this was the first large embroidered piece my brother ever digitized and we liked it. But we found out that it was just too big of a job to actually keep in stock, especially with our equipment.

Thanks!
Scott

View Profile of Tiki Terrace Send a personal message to Tiki Terrace  Email Tiki Terrace Goto the website of Tiki Terrace     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 05:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-07 22:18, Tiki Terrace wrote:
The "fractured fairy tales" book... 4WD tiki,,, I actually have not seen this.

It's from the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoon. At the beginning of that segment, a giant book of fairy tales would fall over on a little cartoon guy trying to open it.

Maybe you're too young to have watched that show.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-12 10:44 am   Permalink

I thought you were on fire with all the things you're making.... but ops! Glad you're ok, Best wishes!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-12 6:34 pm   Permalink

"how about a little fire, scarecrow!!!!!!

-(wicked witch in the wizard of oz)

glad you are okay!! keep us posted on the new place

...also, you can buy those "got tiki" shirts all over ebay.....they actually refer to tiki barber, the football player, but are great for the tiki folk....seems at $5 yours are the better deal

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Terrace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-23 8:36 pm   Permalink

Merry Christmas Tiki Central! Finally getting around to posting some more photos of new stuff going in the restaurant. We hope to re-open March 1 (we closed recently to relocate to the Ohare area), but I am second guessing at this point??? The city is making us get architectual stamps so this will slow us down. Anyhow, Im posting some pics of our booth concept. We plan to have a Hawaiian style pergola look built into the booths. One of the back posts (that houses the backrest) will extend 10' tall and also house the pergola beams 10' high. Included are the 10' posts and you can also see some of the shorter posts (the other backrest post that is about 46" high). I also indluded an image of the prints for the booths... I think it will explain the concept.

Also, got a photo of my brother who is recovering from a stroke he had this summer. He is paralyzed on the right side... But, he is still working on all the projects with us.. left handed. So I am really thrilled to be working with my brother again. Best Christmas gift I could receive! God has been good to us.

I'll post more soon... we are finishing the tables, finished the prototype of the backrest for the booths, and some other misc.

Scott, Tiki Terrace

View Profile of Tiki Terrace Send a personal message to Tiki Terrace  Email Tiki Terrace Goto the website of Tiki Terrace     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-23 9:00 pm   Permalink

Scott, Mele Kalikimaka to you and family!

Really nice work on the poles! Wonderful detail work and character to your tikis. You also have some great logs to work with, well worth the price.

I'm stoked on the new design of the future Tiki Terrace.

Good to see Jim active with you guys and I am glad that he is improving!

All the best to you and yours in 2008!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-24 1:23 pm   Permalink

These are Incredible Tikis Scott, It's Great to see you all working together on this Fantastic project!
Merry Christmas to you all and Keep up the Great Work.
HappyHappyHappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Terrace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-04 10:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys!
Couple pics of progress and some new projects near complete.

Almost finished with the table tops... finally. Changed the concrete cast to a plastic as weight was an issue. Just need to do final coat of poly on the trim, paint detail on casted centerpieces, and then pour the table top epoxy.

Finished making/staining all the backrests. We wanted to incorporate a natural look. So we came up with this milled log type concept. All the backrests have different patterns. Here are pics of a 4' and a 6'. Just need to Poly these.

Last are a couple pics of a canoe in the works. Its 12' long and probably weighs 250 or so (judging from when the thing fell off the stands)??? I have to build a stand for this as we intend on using this canoe for a waiting room bench. Then going to paint some details with natural whites and reds mostlikely (to match the wall mounted canoe we got from OA). I got the construction methods from some canoe craftsmen. It was really cheap (this cost me about $80) and relatively fast. And manageable by one man.

SZ Tiki Terrace

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-05 2:53 pm   Permalink

Looks like a lot of fun Scott! Great work! You guys must be having a blast with the creation of the new space!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Terrace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-15 1:28 pm   Permalink

Got a new pic that I'm pretty happy about. I have always loved the Maois. For me, they 'seem' so simple to carve, but I have always been unhappy with my Maoi carvings. But I finally got one that I am pretty happy with... at least I think its much better than my last one. I graphed this one out on a front view and side view, but it still ended up different than what I was hoping for... but still happy with it.

This one is the original. I am casting and pushing to do three duplicates. I included some pics of the first cast that is almost done now.

And that is my dog Seiji next to the Maoi.

Thanks
Scott

Below, I had to cast in two seperate pieces as I had undercut issues. Head and body glassed together in a second step. metal stud frame installed within the hallow cast to fasten to wall.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-15 1:54 pm   Permalink

Excellent Moai Scott, I think we All find out After the fact that the Moai is Not as simple a carving as it seems. There is a Lot going on in a very little bit of carving, Very deceptive but it looks like you Cracked the Code! Well done.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-15 2:43 pm   Permalink

WOW! that looks great! it looks like stone in the
picture very cool and huge.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-15 3:56 pm   Permalink

Thats a great Moai. A fiberglass shell. What was the original object made from that you made the cast from? Moais aren't easy, but the head looks 100% traditional. The nipples not so much but add a second style that is nice. Looks like you guys are taking a great tiki bar and making it better. Don't see a completed bar going beyond much these days.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 06:50 am   Permalink

Man, I was just (embarassingly)looking through this for the first time, and I have to give you 100 percent credit for Yankee ingenuity and doing it on your own from scratch. Looks like quality through and through. That's pride at work, right there, brah. Major shootz to you. Good luck on the place. I'll stop in when I'm up there.
Member #490

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation